Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Eichel Vs. Matthews

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Eichel Vs. Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I don't disagree in real life. Matthews is the clear choice right now. Fantasy wise long term Matthews is also making it closer than I thought he would and it's hard to argue that Matthews isnt the right choice right now.

For clarity I like Eichel long term fantasy value more than Matthews. Again in real life hockey I'm drafting Matthews first from what we've seen so far. Fantasy wise I'll take Eichel until it's more clear.

The Seguin comparison is great for Eichel except I'm not ready to put Matthews with Crosby. I'd say Seguin vs toews (at his most productive time) is where I'm at with them right now.
    I always said Matthews was Toews too but so far has shown way more offensive upside (which I admittedly didn't see coming) and with Kadri around, Matthews won't ever have to be that guy for TML. ROR takes care of that for Eichel who doesn't have that in him as well.

Team definitely helps out here huge and Buffalo just seems to spin it's wheels while TO is looking like a powerhouse for years.

In a plus/minus pool, forget about it - Matthews all day. Until Eichel does it consistently (which he has so much talent that he should), this is a very one sided battle. Buffalo has next to nothing on the horizon either besides Nylander (and who knows in that case). The Ristos and Reinharts don't seem to be able to take the steps that Rielly, Marner, Nylander etc are taking and Lehner looks like another failed experiment in the crease.

This could all change quickly but as of now I can't see any format in which Eichel is close.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    I always said Matthews was Toews too but so far has shown way more offensive upside (which I admittedly didn't see coming) and with Kadri around, Matthews won't ever have to be that guy for TML. ROR takes care of that for Eichel who doesn't have that in him as well.

Team definitely helps out here huge and Buffalo just seems to spin it's wheels while TO is looking like a powerhouse for years.

In a plus/minus pool, forget about it - Matthews all day. Until Eichel does it consistently (which he has so much talent that he should), this is a very one sided battle. Buffalo has next to nothing on the horizon either besides Nylander (and who knows in that case). The Ristos and Reinharts don't seem to be able to take the steps that Rielly, Marner, Nylander etc are taking and Lehner looks like another failed experiment in the crease.

This could all change quickly but as of now I can't see any format in which Eichel is close.
    All good points but there are plenty of formats as soon as you lose plus minus (which like penalty minutes, I don't think should be included in fantasy fantasy hockey but that's another discussion).

These formats are close now when Eichel is struggling (if 17 points in 21 games on a bad team is struggling) with 1 power play point in 25 percent of a season.

Eichel shoots more on a lesser team. Hits, giveaways, takeaways, faceoffs, blocks are all close. Although in favor of Matthews for now (who is in a better situation with his team and supporting cast).

I think it's too early to declare Matthews as an outright winner in virtually any format.

A couple multiple point games from Eichel in a row (which with his current power play stats, is coming) and all of a sudden they look pretty close.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

All good points but there are plenty of formats as soon as you lose plus minus (which like penalty minutes, I don't think should be included in fantasy fantasy hockey but that's another discussion).

These formats are close now when Eichel is struggling (if 17 points in 21 games on a bad team is struggling) with 1 power play point in 25 percent of a season.

Eichel shoots more on a lesser team. Hits, giveaways, takeaways, faceoffs, blocks are all close. Although in favor of Matthews for now (who is in a better situation with his team and supporting cast).

I think it's too early to declare Matthews as an outright winner in virtually any format.

A couple multiple point games from Eichel in a row (which with his current power play stats, is coming) and all of a sudden they look pretty close.
    My only real argument is with your statement in bold. IMO eichel has yet to prove he's elite in any of the categories you're discussing... and you, yourself state "Eichel shoots more on a lesser team. Hits, giveaways, takeaways, faceoffs, blocks are all close. Although in favor of Matthews for now (who is in a better situation with his team and supporting cast). "

For NOW YES... For last year... YES. As long as Matthews has been in the league (including the 2 slumps Matthews had last season). SO HOW LONG DOES "FOR NOW" go before it changes to "FOR REAL"? With only 1 year of experience dividing these two, if Matthews is beating Eichel this year in most of these cats and did so also last year... how can we not label Matthews the winner? at the very least... the superior player.

Like I said in ALL these threads before the season began, after just 1 year, Matthews proved himself to be the better player overall (vs Eichel's 1 1/2 years) and continues to bet better at the 1/4 mark this season... so IMO, it's up to Eichel to prove that he's as good as Matthews ... let alone better. and until he does (which I don't forsee unfortunately for Buffalo fans), Matthews deserves the "Championship Belt" and continues to wear it.

Dobber Sports Ace

I think the issue is we're comparing a second year Eichel to a first year Matthews, and then a second year Matthers to a third year Eichel.

So far, Matthews has outperformed Eichel almost every single step of the way in their careers, NHL or otherwise. Matthews outperformed Eichel in their respective first years, and now Matthews is starting to outperform Eichel in their respective second years.

And currently, though Eichel has more shots, Matthews is shooting slightly more per game than Eichel is.

Sure Eichel is on a worse team, but I think we're starting to get more and more proof that is starting to show that people saying Matthews is a better fantasy choice and better player were probably not wrong.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Initiate

Oh the debate will rage... but Matthews in terms of both production and overall league value. Matthews is the guy being compared against McDavid not Eichel v. McDavid any longer - everyone agrees McDavid > Eichel... So McDavid is where to Matthews? Who cares, this question wasn't asked.

Regardless, Matthews has better coaching and surrounding cast of players... will have more team scoring and isn't in danger of getting his linemates sold at the draft deadline or some other problem. Matthews AD

Dobber Sports Prodigy

No way I'd trade Matthews for Eichel. If the Matthews owner approached me with Matthews for Eichel I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    14 team Yahoo Keeper League 8 keepers 4 rookies.

G, A, PIMs, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PPP, FoW GAA,Sv%,SO,Wins

2C 2LW 2RW 4D 1 Utility 2G 1 IR 2 IR+ 4 NA 13 bench

C: McDavid Crosby, Beniers, Kotkatniemi, W. Johnson
    LW: Draisitl Svechnikov, Patioretty, Mikheyev, Mangiapane, Tolvanen, Benson
    RW: Rantanen Thompson, Wahlstrom, Anderson, Marchenko, Evangalista
    D: Heiskanen, Drysdale, Ghostisbehere, Zadorov, Savard, Fowler
    G: Sorokin, Varlomov, UPK, Comrie
    NA: B. Clarke, Stankoven
    Rookie:

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

And for the 2nd straight season, Eichel proves injury prone. And not just a nick, cut or tweak... another high ankle sprain. Matthews missed some time too, but were talking day to day vs long stints out with significant injury. too bad... but looks like we'll have to wait for yet another season to see if Eichel can put up the games played to finally do a true compare (outside of each of their Rookie campaigns).

And it looked as if Eichel was going to be able to challenge this year posting near PPG stats.

oh well.

Dobber Sports Padawan

It's Matthews and it's not that close.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak