Thread: 1st overall 2018 trade

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default 1st overall 2018 trade

Wanted your guys' opinion on this potential trade: my 1st overall for the 2018 draft for his Duchene and Puljujarvi. This is a points only 10 player league, top 12/20 players count, average available free UFA pickup has points in the low 50s. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: 1st overall 2018 trade

Do you mean 1st round or 1st overall? Is it already 100% clear you get 1st overall next year?

Anyway, first you need to ask yourself this: you receive two roster players (or is Pulju a farm player?) - which one/two do you drop, and are they worth being dropped for Duchene? You say you can get a 50-point player from the FA pool, so I say no.

Also, the 2018 draft is still 9 months away. Chances are good that the closer we get, the more hype there will be, and hence more willingness to pay for 1st overall, e.g. because someone dominates the World Juniors or so (think Hischier or Laine). So I'd certainly wait until then, the price can only go up.

But regardless of all this: no, I wouldn't do the trade. Pulju is promising. If it was the 2017 class? Maybe yes. If it was 3rd or 4th overall? Maybe yes. But not for 2018 1st overall.
    And don't buy high on Duchene.

Dobber Sports Ace

There already is hype for that 1st Overall pick. Puljujarvi may be intriguing and he may change a lot of our opinions on him this season, but that 1st overall pick is going to be very valuable as we get closer to the draft.

The offer is a fair one but it's the 1st overall pick in a very good draft year -the price should be more than fair.
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Wizard

Good rule of thumb for high draft picks... Never trade them before the World Juniors. The price on that pick will double after that tournament.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Wizard

Right now it's looking like we have the next Erik Karlsson and the next Tarasenko coming from the 2018 draft, so if that's indeed the 1st overall pick, then I would keep it.

Dobber Sports Sage

I feel like I need more info... Do you get to keep players in your league? If yes, how many? I'd also like to know who you're dropping to roster these two players? Who is your early favourite for next years 1st overall pick? Do you feel like you can win the league this year?

Most are projecting Duchene around 55-60 this season. I don't think he's done in this league and a fresh start somewhere could be all he needs. Pulj has huge long term upside. This isn't a terrible offer and may even be a no brainer yes depending on the additional info. It may also be an easy no.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Recruit

Thanks for the replies so far. I should have mentioned - it's a keeper league (keep all 20 players and no farm team - your top 12 auto-count towards your point total) and I'm in rebuilding mode. I have a fair amount of room on the roster and wouldn't be dropping anything that I couldn't replace via FA if and when I felt like it. Basically, I feel like Svechnikov (most likely 1st overall non-defenceman at this point) is going to be very very valuable, but people seem high on Puljujarvi too (especially Dobber, big 3-year number) and if Duchene is a 55-60 pt player with maybe a season or two of 65+, it seems close... But what I'm hearing from you guys is not close enough, and that if I do decide to trade the 1st overall it will be better to do so later on when the hype is building.

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I feel like I need more info... Do you get to keep players in your league? If yes, how many? I'd also like to know who you're dropping to roster these two players? Who is your early favourite for next years 1st overall pick? Do you feel like you can win the league this year?

Most are projecting Duchene around 55-60 this season. I don't think he's done in this league and a fresh start somewhere could be all he needs. Pulj has huge long term upside. This isn't a terrible offer and may even be a no brainer yes depending on the additional info. It may also be an easy no.

Dobber Sports Sage

Personally I think I'd make this trade. You get one ready made NHL player that has scored 70 points and is still only 26 in Duchene. Will he get back to 70? I don't know but I think he breaches 60 a few more times. And you get a top prospect that could line up with the future best player in the world for years to come. Seems like a pretty good deal for almost any 17 year old unless you are convinced Svechnikov is the next McDavid/Eichel/Matthews. Which I don't really know how you can be at this stage. I think there's a good enough chance that Pulj has a better career than the no 1 pick in next years draft that this makes sense to me. I also think we've been a bit spoiled with generational rookies lately, which could overvalue these picks in my opinion.

I also suppose there is not a lot of harm in waiting here (point differential between Duchene and your worst roster player) but if you believe you have a decent shot at winning this season I may not wait that long. I'd also consider shopping the pick in your league to see what other offers you might get, but this one overall seems pretty decent to me. I feel like I may be missing something given the other comments but I like it overall.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Good rule of thumb for high draft picks... Never trade them before the World Juniors. The price on that pick will double after that tournament.
    I agree with this. Wait until the consensus first overall becomes more clear and then you are in a position to command the maximum return for that pick.
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko