Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1st overall pick - who do you take?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: 1st overall pick - who do you take?

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Hischier AND Patrick? Well done. I think you know the direction your team is going in and I think it's a good one. I liked Peng7's assessment and that should be your focus now. Unless you wanted to move those assets, but I'm guessing you're pretty happy to have both 1 and 2 this year.

Think Hall/Seguin draft year (but maybe a slight tier lower).
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to hold on to them and see what they can do. Hopefully some of my mid-range guys do well enough that I can try trading them at the deadline to teams competing for the championship.
    6th Year 12 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Keeper (10) League
    3C 3LW 3RW 5D 3U 2G 5BE 3IR+
    G,A,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP; W,GAA,SV%,SO

C: Crosby, Bergeron, Hischier, Necas, Backlund, Krejci

L:
    Aho (C,RW), Connor, Lee, Schmaltz (C), Lehkonen (RW)
    R: Boeser
    , Svenchnikov, Sheary (LW), Puljujarvi
    D: Barrie, Yandle, Ristolainen,
    Theodore, Dahlin, Matheson
    G:
    Gibson, Elliott, Hutton

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by SgtCrosby87 View Post
    Hopefully some of my mid-range guys do well enough that I can try trading them at the deadline to teams competing for the championship.
    Yes - that's exactly what you should do. And congrats on Hischier/Patrick!!!
    Hischier & Patrick should produce little enough that you finish near last place.
    And that's just fine. Commit to it. One committed year in the basement of partial keepers is great for re-building.
    Then you take a #1 #2 or #3 overall pick next year and add another of the top three from the 2018 draft (which will all be dynamite long-term, spend your year reading up on those kids). From there, you'll be a top 3 team for the next 3-5 years.
    Rebuilds are not hard in most fantasy hockey leagues - but you've got to commit to stinking for one dedicated year... and you've done this.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Well done in your draft. I think Hischier has a higher upside than all of these players with the exception of Kuznetsov, whom I think he is on par with. Lots of talk about this draft not having super star players but I think most of it is based on how great the last two drafts have been. Hischier can easily be a PPG player in a couple of years with the right support group in NJ.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.