Thread: Newbie Manager to Keeper League. Need Help Drafting.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Newbie Manager to Keeper League. Need Help Drafting.

Hello All. Not a trade question, but a drafting question.

I'm brand new to a keeper league. I'm so pumped I finally got into one!! And brand new to this forum. I'm a huge hockey fan but not a huge stats guy, and I've only ever played box style pools with no trades and no matchups (just pick in October and wait until April). So I'm going to see if I can play fantasy sports without emotion and allegiance! GO JETS GO!

I am taking over a team from a manager that has left the group and I am getting the 1st overall pick in this year's draft. I currently have Erik Karlsson, but if I choose to keep him I lose my 1st rounder (1st overall). And Crosby and Price are available for pick this year. So aside from any good tips, what should I do with my 1st overall pick? Keep Karlsson, draft Crosby or draft Price? I also have Malkin I can mark as a keeper but that won't cause me to lose my first overall. So if I draft Crosby, would having Malkin & Crosby be a stupid move or a smart move?

I looked up past player points from my pool last year and 178 was the most fantasy points a player had (Tavares surprisingly), and Crosby was ranked pretty high among skaters with 162 fantasy points. As for goalies, Price crushed it last year for fantasy points with 261, Holtby had 238 and Rinne was the only other goalie to crack the 200 mark.

This pool is a weekly head-to-head matchup pool. 10 teams total.

Scoring Points in my league is as follows:
    SKATERS
    Goal = 1.25
    Assist = 1
    PIM = .25/min
    PPG = 2.5
    PP assist = 2
    SHG = 3.5
    SH assist = 3
    GWG = .5
    shots on goal = .10/shot
    GOALIES
    W = 2
    GA = -0.75/goal
    Saves = .10/save
    Shutout = 2

Keep Karlsson? Draft Crosby? Draft Price?

And any other good advice for a newbie is much appreciated. Thanks!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Newbie Manager to Keeper League. Need Help Drafting.

Welcome to the boards!

I think you HAVE to drop Karlsson and pick up either Price or Crosby. If it were me, I'd probably go with Price. Even if he falls off a little, he will likely be the top goalie. Because there are only 10 teams, getting a goalie with decent points likely isn't a huge worry, so you could go with Crosby. Not a bad choice at all. Go with your gut on that. Also, I'd be marking Malkin as a keeper as fast as I could.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

Who else is available
    10 Team Keeper (5)
    Head-to-Head
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK
    3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 GOALIE

C: Barzal, Mcdavid, J. Staal, Mackinnon, Matthews,

LW: Guentzal, Lee, J.T Miller, Rakell

RW: Point, Nylander, Perron, Marner, Laine

D: Carlson, Hedman, Petry, Byfuglien, McAvoy

G: M. Jones, Price

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Don't be tempted by the allure of first overall. Keep Karlsson here unless you can get McDavid. In a shallow league like this everyone is going to have solid goalies and you should be able to pick a really solid goalie not sure if you start 2 or not which could change my opinion but I think I'd still keep Karlsson, he's in a league of his own.
    Finished 2nd '09 , 3rd '10, 3rd '11, 2nd '12, 5th '13, 4th '14, 2nd '15
    16 Team Lifetime Keeper: Total Fantasy Points; Weekly Changes (Mon.) 32 Man Roster
    Dress 2 G, 6 D, 12 F

Keep 17 of 32 and Less Than 41gp Career Including Playoffs
    G=2, A=1, +/-=1, Pim=0.2
    W=4, L= -2, SO=5
    F= Parise, Marleau, Kopitar, Nichushkin ,Schwartz, Nyquist, Backes, Backstrom, Perry, Zetterberg, Thornton, Iginla, Lecavalier, Burrows, Goldobin, Jones, Petan, Virtanen, Vrana
    D= S. Weber, Gostisbehere, McDonagh, Miller, Enstrom, Girardi, Colaiacovo, Boyle, Carrick
    G= Lundqvist, Rinne
    , Tokarski

Dobber Sports Master

Its a H2H format so having Karlsson on your IR isn't the worst thing that could happen. With those number though, it looks like you are going to need an elite goalie to compete. Having 1st overall means that you will likely be able to grab a good one. Who else is on your team? What other players are available at the draft? What are likely players to be the top ten drafted?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Thanks for all the advice.

I also should've mentioned it's the last year I could keep Karlsson if I were to keep him. And he's starting the season injured - he hasn't even started to skate yet. IF he is put on LTIR before Nov. 30 this year (as deemed by Yahoo Sports) then it won't count as a keeper this year and I'll start getting points from him when in returns to action in Nov/Dec this season, PLUS I could mark him as a keeper next year too (I think, if i'm reading the pool rules correctly). But I have to name him a keeper by midnight tomorrow and I have no idea if Ottawa (er, Yahoo Sports) will be listing him on LTIR by Nov. 30, 2017.

So I'm leaning towards drafting Price or Crosby first overall. And maybe more strongly leading towards Crosby. With the possibility of there being a lot of PP's this season with the slashing crackdown Crosby could be getting significantly more PP points this season....and that could also mean more PP goals against Price this season.

I also should've mentioned that the team makeup is 15 players:
    4 D-Men
    2 Goalies
    6 Forwards
    3 Bench positions (for any position)
    2 IR spots (one for a goalie & one for a skater)

The 3 keepers I'm going to name and what pick I give up for them are likely going to be:
    - Malkin (give up 2nd rounder)
    - Pastrnak (give up a 14th rounder)
    - not sure on this one....either Keith (give up a 4th rounder); Thornton (give up a 4th rounder); Parise (give up a 14th rounder); Carter (give up a 14th rounder);

Thoughts?

Available to draft (for sure ineligible too keep this year from other managers and thrown back into the draft is):
    Crosby
    Stamkos
    Holtby
    Pavelski
    Johansen
    Carlson
    Benn
    Byfuglien
    Price
    Mackinnon
    Seguin
    Taransenko
    Ovechkin

I suppose Stammer or Holtby could be a good pickup too.

*another manager just mentioned to me this morning that the fantasy points I retrieved on the website are incorrect (the ones I mentioned in my first post where I said Price had 261 points). To see the correct points I need to go into our Yahoo Sports Pool page - which I requested access to but haven't received access to as of yet. :\

I did somewhat of a Round 1 mock draft for my pool so I could somewhat guess who else is available. We name our keepers secretly by midnight tomorrow, then sometime after that we all get to know who is available to draft. But by guessing who managers will name as keepers and if they lose a 1st round pick I THINK this will be how the first round goes:
    (I gave alias names to the teams)

Draft Order:
    Round 1:
    1) My Team…..likely pick one of Crosby/Price/Benn/Stamkos/Holtby
    2) Team Red….likely pick one of: Crosby/Price/Karlsson/Benn/Stamkos/Holtby
    3) Team Green (likely keeping Nik Backstrom)
    4) Team Yellow (likely keeping Patrick Kane)
    5) Team Purple (likely keeping Brent Burns)
    6) Team Orange (likely keeping Subban)
    7) Team Blue…..likely pick one of: Crosby/Price/Karlsson/Benn/Stamkos/Holtby
    8) Team Black (likely keep one of Tavares and/or Kucherov)
    9) Team Brown (likely keeping McDavid)
    10) Team Silver…..likely pick one of: Crosby/Price/Karlsson/Benn/Stamkos/Holtby

And I have 1st pick for Round 2 (11th overall)....but I'm likely locking up Malkin as a keeper and losing my 2nd round pick....next pick is 3rd rounder (21st overall).

So from your fantasy league experience, and by looking at how the points are scored in my pool (see my first post), looking at the draft order, and looking at who's available - what would you do?

Thanks Everyone!

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd def be keeping carter for a 14th if I had to choose a 3rd. No way I'm keeping keith or Thornton for a 4th.
    Also Crosby seems like the best pick
    10 Team Keeper (5)
    Head-to-Head
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK
    3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 GOALIE

C: Barzal, Mcdavid, J. Staal, Mackinnon, Matthews,

LW: Guentzal, Lee, J.T Miller, Rakell

RW: Point, Nylander, Perron, Marner, Laine

D: Carlson, Hedman, Petry, Byfuglien, McAvoy

G: M. Jones, Price

Dobber Sports Recruit

I agree. I think I'm gonna take Crosby 1st overall, mark Malkin as a keeper (2nd rounder), and can't go wrong with giving up a 14th round pick for Carter

Dobber Sports Sage

Forwards are your deepest position and special team points are hugely weighted in your league. If I'm you the injury this season and the fact that you can't keep Karlsson beyond makes the decision easy to dump him for Crosby as your top forward and first overall pick. Carter at 14th is a no brainer keeper along with Malkin and Paternak.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):