Thread: S.Theodore in the AHL ?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Question S.Theodore in the AHL ?

According to Pierre Lebrun, Shea is likely to begin the season in the AHL because of his waiver-exempt contract. Do you really believe Vegas will start the season without the defender considered to be the #1 option on the PP ?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: S.Theodore in the AHL ?

I've always thought that Vegas was going to give Nate Schmidt a chance to run the PP1.
    I mean, they could've had a very solid goalie in Grubauer and went with Schmidt. They see something there.
    I think he'll be a great sleeper in leagues this year - I was heart-broken that I didn't have the assets to trade up for him in WHL... and several GMs (too many smart ones) were hip to him.
    [Several WHL GMs may remember me trying to trade up in the Pro Re-Draft... Schmidt went 5th overall for our unkept Pros, guys 26 or older or played more than 100gps: Dadonov, Shipachyov, Sobotka, Connolly, Schmidt]
    Though... maybe it'll be Colin Miller on PP1.

Also - we know Vegas overstocked their D. (Ten... count 'em... 10D!!!)
    And, if they are having a hard time getting any bites on these guys... they may want to save value by shifting a player down to AHL that they can - which is Theodore.
    Even if Theodore is D1, they roster EIGHT D, D2-D9, they still have to cut D10 if they have no bites... though maybe one mysteriously goes down with injury.

Administrator

If I were them I would keep Theodore up because he deserves to be there and put the extra guy through waivers. The only justification I can think of is if they feel their team will offer a really bad environment for his development.

Then again there's a lot of things I would have done differently including being much more aggressive pursuing UDFA players since they don't cost any assets to acquire.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Not a surprise at all, this was always a strong possibility because of how many D-men they had. They'll probably start the season with a couple of extra D-men on their roster but they can probably find some trading partners soon when other teams start losing their D-men to injuries, so Theodore should be getting the call-up then (assuming he is indeed sent to the AHL).

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Speaking of the Knights... anybody got a good internet link for their training camp updates?
    I can't find anything decent on them since VAN game... last 3 days - gotta be doing something...

Pulling from their twitter:

Opening faceoff from San Jose is scheduled for 7:30 PM (PT) tomorrow. The game will be broadcast on FOX Sports Radio 98.9 FM/1340 AM.

Vegas Golden Knights‏Verified account @GoldenKnights 15h15 hours ago
    Goalies For 9/21
    Pickard
    Lagace

Defensemen For 9/21
    McNabb
    Reinhart
    Sbisa
    Schmidt
    Stoner
    Theodore

Forwards For 9/21
    Matteau
    Nosek
    Perron
    Pulkkinen
    Tynan
    Wong
    (2 of 2)

Forwards For 9/21
    Carrier
    Eakin
    Glass
    Karlsson
    Kolesar
    Leipsic
    (1 of 2)

The Magnificent One

Not shocking, but disappointing. Maybe it's to try and light a fire under him for the remaining preseason?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Wizard

They want Andrei.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think at some point Vegas is also going to need to put up some kind of a show. Without their most talented players playing in the lineup, I wonder how they're going to seduce their market. So yeah, there is the hockey operations point of view, but let's not forget why they exist : SELL TICKETS.

They'll probably want to find some kind of middle ground between sound asset management and not being completely boring to watch or attend games.

No?
    H2H - 16 teams - Auction (225 $ cap), cap up to 300$ after auction on any drafted player.
    Keep 3, +7$ each year. Keep 5 farm (cost 1$ to dress).[/I]

Points (1), Defense goals (2), Powerplay Points (0.5), GWG (0.5), ShG (0.5)

10 F 4 D 1 G 5 bench 10 farm

F: Kucherov (41$), Pettersson (15$), Marner (29$), Wheller (55$), Landeskog (18$), Horvat (15$), Meier (16$), Fiala (1$), Beauvillier (1$), Getzlaf (1$)
    D: Barrie (17$), Fox (1$), Girard (1$), Trouba (2$)
    G: Markstrom (6$)

Bench: Athanasiou, Granlund, Gostisbehere, Matheson, Garland

Farm: Boldy, Gurianov, Puljujarvi, Dach, Glass, Kaprizov, Patrick, Sanheim, Tomasino, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Titan

Starts in AHL, does not stay there. They’ll trade a D-man eventually and that’ll free up a roster spot for him
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by quantaloup View Post
    I think at some point Vegas is also going to need to put up some kind of a show. Without their most talented players playing in the lineup, I wonder how they're going to seduce their market. So yeah, there is the hockey operations point of view, but let's not forget why they exist : SELL TICKETS.

They'll probably want to find some kind of middle ground between sound asset management and not being completely boring to watch or attend games.

No?
    I doubt missing Theodore is going to change anything really for the team at this point. I believe he will be a good one but he's just not there yet. He's scored a total of 17 points in 53 NHL games during his career. He's not bad by any means but I doubt anyone is going to say "I'm not going to watch the Vegas game because Theodore isn't playing".