Thread: Any interesting players on the waivers worth picking ?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Any interesting players on the waivers worth picking ?

Hey all!
    I just completed my draft and I was wondering if there was any players on the waivers that could potentially be better than some of the players I currently have on my bench.

You can see my team on my signature and here is a small list of available players on the waivers: Little(C), Nyquist(LW,RW), Eaves(RW), Backlund(C), Hossa(RW), Vrbata(RW), Dadonov(RW), Panik(LW,RW), Hartnell(LW), Coyle(C,RW), D. Sedin(LW), etc.

Nyquist and Dadonov are interesting since they should be playing on the first line. Just not a big believer of Detroit this year and I don't know much about Dadonov other than the fact that he could play with Barkov.
    If you think of any other players that could be available and more interesting than the players on my bench let me know!

Can't wait until the season officially starts, I wish you all good luck in your leagues!

Simon
    One year H2H points - 12 teams
    3C, 3RW, 3LW, 6 D, 5 BN, 2 G, 2 IR+

C: Aho, Larkin, Hayes, Giroux
    RW: Kane, Rantanen, Wheeler, Radulov, Armia
    LW: Forsberg, Schwartz, Tatar, Zucker, Dadonov
    D: Hronek, Shattenkirk, Ristolainen, Gustafsson, Schmidt
    G: Murray, Markstrom, Merzlikins

IR+: D. Strome, Hart

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Any interesting players on the waivers worth picking ?

I'd probably drop Teravainen, Point and Johansson for Nyquist, Coyle and Little.
    Finished 2nd '09 , 3rd '10, 3rd '11, 2nd '12, 5th '13, 4th '14, 2nd '15
    16 Team Lifetime Keeper: Total Fantasy Points; Weekly Changes (Mon.) 32 Man Roster
    Dress 2 G, 6 D, 12 F

Keep 17 of 32 and Less Than 41gp Career Including Playoffs
    G=2, A=1, +/-=1, Pim=0.2
    W=4, L= -2, SO=5
    F= Parise, Marleau, Kopitar, Nichushkin ,Schwartz, Nyquist, Backes, Backstrom, Perry, Zetterberg, Thornton, Iginla, Lecavalier, Burrows, Goldobin, Jones, Petan, Virtanen, Vrana
    D= S. Weber, Gostisbehere, McDonagh, Miller, Enstrom, Girardi, Colaiacovo, Boyle, Carrick
    G= Lundqvist, Rinne
    , Tokarski

Dobber Sports Initiate

Johansson and point for me. For Little and Coyle. Keeping close eye on Teravainen and possibly picking up Dadonov or Nyquist. Really these last three spots are interchangeable. Although I like Coyle this year. I like Little also. You should be able to stash him on your IR but get good production when he is healthy. Better than any of these guys. Only downfall is he is a center and I wouldn't play him over the centers you have

Dobber Sports Master

another angle to look at is available players that play regularly on the quieter days so that you can maximize useage of bench players .

Dobber Sports Guru

Any goalies available on waivers?
    I like Vas, and Lehner should be better on an improved Sabres team, but that duo would be my biggest concern.
    Neither is safe, and both have been a bit banged up early in their careers I think.
    In a 10-teamer, I'm guessing there's another guy I'd like to have on the bench (Darling? Elliot? Smith? Raanta?)

Also, do you have 5 D for a league that starts 6?
    With a 9F, 6D setup, it seems D are pretty significant for getting points.
    Who's available on the blueline on WW?
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yeah, there isn't really any interesting goalies on the waivers. I'd say the best would be Markstrom, Varlamov/Bernier, Hellebuyck, Howard/Mrazek, Reimer... So most of them are still fighting for the n1 spot, except Markstrom but hes playing for vancouver. So my plan was to wait and see if there is any goalies who stand out.
    Yes, I indeed have 1 less defense and 1 more foward on my squad, im surprised you noticed! I decided to do that because there really isn't any defense worth adding on the waivers in my opinion and even if on busy nights like saturday I won't be as efficient because of the missing defense spot, I still believe having an extra attacker will give me more points in the long run. Unless I underestimate one of those defense on the waivers: Holden, Chara, Demers, Petry, Streit, Ehholm, Larsson, Beaulieu, etc.

By the way, thoughts on Pominville who might be playing with Eichel ?
    One year H2H points - 12 teams
    3C, 3RW, 3LW, 6 D, 5 BN, 2 G, 2 IR+

C: Aho, Larkin, Hayes, Giroux
    RW: Kane, Rantanen, Wheeler, Radulov, Armia
    LW: Forsberg, Schwartz, Tatar, Zucker, Dadonov
    D: Hronek, Shattenkirk, Ristolainen, Gustafsson, Schmidt
    G: Murray, Markstrom, Merzlikins

IR+: D. Strome, Hart

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think your current group looks good.
    G(2) A(1) scoring is pretty heavy on goals... and you've got a rigid 3C structure, it appears... with no UTIL.
    Most of your bench has some wing-flexibility and dual-positions - that'll be helpful here.

This won't sound like a sensible move, but Mikael Backlund may offer you more value than Alex Wennberg.
    You'd have to check schedules, I know CGY has a pretty solid "off-night" schedule, 2nd or 3rd best in the NHL.

You've got a PIT, DAL, BOS as your three Cs. And those are DYNAMITE Cs, who you will play EVERY START.
    So you have to use the same night tool to find out how many "open nights" you have to start Wennberg.

In October, perhaps (speculating a possibility)
    *You may only be able to get 5 starts out of the 15g/45a Wennberg in October. (30+45pts=75)
    *Whereas maybe you can get 7 starts out of the 22g/30a Backlund in October. (44+30pts=74)
    7 starts from a 74pt player > 5 starts from a 75pt player.
    These little scoring boosts are valuable to know in daily-start leagues.

If you don't have maximum GP... and just "daily starts"... then you really want to become a master at maximizing starts from your bench players.
    You can test this out using the "Same Night Tool" found in the One-Year sub-section of the forums.

The Great One

The only temptation for me is Little - when he plays he's more productive than most of your bench guys.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/