Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Holtby, Price, Murray or Bobrovsky?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Holtby, Price, Murray or Bobrovsky?

In a two-cat goalie format, where one is Wins... I'd go with Murray (and, meaning, a strategy to go with 82gp from PIT goalies).
    It's a very good team (again) - and it should be 50-52 wins there.

But I'd be absolutely sure to get Niemi. Niemi is going to be solid, and with the PIT team, he'll have a high win% in games he plays.
    Your team is destroyed if Murray goes down with injury.
    If that happens, you'll NEED Niemi - so fine to overdraft him... as soon as say, the last #1 starters (Raanta, Howard, Fleury, etc) go off the board.
    And.... all season long... you tie these words together "Murray injury... Jarry".
    If Murray goes down, you need to keep with EVERY PIT start, so you go to the wire and add Jarry immediately, because he'll be called up to play alternating games with Niemi.

82gp from PIT goalies, yes, that's worth the #4 overall spot in 13-team roto.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    In a two-cat goalie format, where one is Wins... I'd go with Murray (and, meaning, a strategy to go with 82gp from PIT goalies).
    It's a very good team (again) - and it should be 50-52 wins there.

But I'd be absolutely sure to get Niemi. Niemi is going to be solid, and with the PIT team, he'll have a high win% in games he plays.
    Your team is destroyed if Murray goes down with injury.
    If that happens, you'll NEED Niemi - so fine to overdraft him... as soon as say, the last #1 starters (Raanta, Howard, Fleury, etc) go off the board.
    And.... all season long... you tie these words together "Murray injury... Jarry".
    If Murray goes down, you need to keep with EVERY PIT start, so you go to the wire and add Jarry immediately, because he'll be called up to play alternating games with Niemi.

82gp from PIT goalies, yes, that's worth the #4 overall spot in 13-team roto.
    Agreed on Pittsburgh goaltending. Jarry is definitely somebody to keep an eye on during the season. And is it safe to say we can expect Murray to get injured? I noticed you didn't touch Price in that post which speaks volumes. Unless you're just trying to answer on Murray straight up. Your thoughts on Price vs Murray? I appreciate you taking the time to give me a detailed answer like that which is extremely helpful.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Right handed shot View Post
    Agreed on Pittsburgh goaltending. Jarry is definitely somebody to keep an eye on during the season. And is it safe to say we can expect Murray to get injured? I noticed you didn't touch Price in that post which speaks volumes. Unless you're just trying to answer on Murray straight up. Your thoughts on Price vs Murray? I appreciate you taking the time to give me a detailed answer like that which is extremely helpful.
    1. It's never safe to say any player will or will not get injured. Injuries are accidents. I don't think Murray is injury-prone, no. I do believe that Pittsburgh looks at two partial-seasons from Murray and says "This guy won us TWO cups, both in seasons where he has played less than 50gp. Let's stay consistent and not over-work him."

2. Your league has rare categories, just W/GAA. Most leagues count SV or SV%... and elite goalies (great SV%) that play a lot (SV) are great for those cats. Those leagues are more common... and that is why Carey Price is most commonly talked about as 2nd best goalie in fantasy hockey. But pure W & GAA, that's a league format where "team strength" is critical... and PIT >> MON. It's not really Price vs. Murray discussion. I think Price is a better "goalie" than Murray... but, again, these are the TEAM categories: W/GAA. Your format is basically "team goalie", but you still have to draft them both. I mean, think of your league as "Team Wins & Team GAA". If you are drafting THAT - teams, not goalies - who would you draft top 3? I bet Bob isn't even in the discussion any more. Anyways, this is why I talked about 82gp from PIT, in depth. People don't need to talk about that with Holtby because he typically plays 65+. Though, I'd hedge WAS has to start entertaining some different tactics going into playoffs - and one may be to NOT overwork Holtby. After all, it is VERY rare in the modern NHL for teams to make the Stanley Cup if they've overworked their goalies (if you do a count on Cup teams, you won't see many that have had their G1 play 65+ in regular season).

Dobber Sports Initiate

1. It's never safe to say any player will or will not get injured. Injuries are accidents. I don't think Murray is injury-prone, no. I do believe that Pittsburgh looks at two partial-seasons from Murray and says "This guy won us TWO cups, both in seasons where he has played less than 50gp. Let's stay consistent and not over-work him."

2. Your league has rare categories, just W/GAA. Most leagues count SV or SV%... and elite goalies (great SV%) that play a lot (SV) are great for those cats. Those leagues are more common... and that is why Carey Price is most commonly talked about as 2nd best goalie in fantasy hockey. But pure W & GAA, that's a league format where "team strength" is critical... and PIT >> MON. It's not really Price vs. Murray discussion. I think Price is a better "goalie" than Murray... but, again, these are the TEAM categories: W/GAA. Your format is basically "team goalie", but you still have to draft them both. I mean, think of your league as "Team Wins & Team GAA". If you are drafting THAT - teams, not goalies - who would you draft top 3? I bet Bob isn't even in the discussion any more. Anyways, this is why I talked about 82gp from PIT, in depth. People don't need to talk about that with Holtby because he typically plays 65+. Though, I'd hedge WAS has to start entertaining some different tactics going into playoffs - and one may be to NOT overwork Holtby. After all, it is VERY rare in the modern NHL for teams to make the Stanley Cup if they've overworked their goalies (if you do a count on Cup teams, you won't see many that have had their G1 play 65+ in regular season).
    We actually do count SV%. Damn, my sig is messed up isn't it?... Anyway, yeah we count GAA, SV% and Wins. Sorry if my Sig doesn't reflect that. I know you just wrote like six paragraphs. Does this change things for you?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yes, it changes things.
    I like Price over Murray.
    (in roto, SV% is weighted by starts. Since you need starts for Wins, you want a high SV% guy that plays more... so... Price).

Dobber Sports Initiate

Yes, it changes things.
    I like Price over Murray.
    (in roto, SV% is weighted by starts. Since you need starts for Wins, you want a high SV% guy that plays more... so... Price).
    Really appreciate the feedback Pengwin7. It's hard to pass up on Price with these categories. And if Murray gets hurt I'll never forgive myself. Thanks man!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sure, no problem.
    Also - something that may be helpful.
    I recently completed my favourite one-year league, which includes two of the most brilliant/successful fantasy GMs... in the world? (At least for sure that I know of through this site)

"temek" drafted out of the 8 spot, took Carey Price (2nd goalie in draft)
    "LOTR" drafted out of the 7 spot, took Ovechkin... because he was left there... but probably would've taken Holtby if OV was gone and Holtby was there...

See bottom of page 3, link below:
    http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...oto-Show/page3

Dobber Sports Initiate

Sure, no problem.
    Also - something that may be helpful.
    I recently completed my favourite one-year league, which includes two of the most brilliant/successful fantasy GMs... in the world? (At least for sure that I know of through this site)

"temek" drafted out of the 8 spot, took Carey Price (2nd goalie in draft)
    "LOTR" drafted out of the 7 spot, took Ovechkin... because he was left there... but probably would've taken Holtby if OV was gone and Holtby was there...

See bottom of page 3, link below:
    http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...oto-Show/page3
    Very interesting and I look forward to reading this all later on when I have the time. Definitely want to roll through this. The only difference is that in our league, the top goalies will go within the top 15-16 picks. Holtby, Price, Murray, Talbot who is already being kept by someone, Dubnyk and Bobrovsky will all be gone for sure.