Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Keeper - Slow Draft Analysis Please! REP

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default New Keeper - Slow Draft Analysis Please! REP

We're almost halfway through the slow draft for a new keeper league, looking for some opinions on how things are looking for my team and what areas/positions I should be focussing on in the coming rounds. There was an early run on goalies, so I went against the grain and decided to wait on G and get value at F and D instead. Trying to build a team that can win right away, but that is young enough to be competitive for years to come.

12 team H2H - G, A, PPP, SOG, HITS, FOW, BLKS, Clutch (GWG + Shootout goal + shp), W+SO, sv%, svs. Start 3C/3RW/3LW, 2 UTIL, 4 D, 2 G. Keep 12 players.

My picks/team so far:

1. Karlsson - D
    2. Laine - RW
    3. Benn - LW
    4. Backstrom - C
    5. Rask - G
    6. Letang - D
    7. Giroux - C
    8. Provorov - D
    9. Schneider - G
    10. Skinner - LW

Thanks in advance!

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: New Keeper - Slow Draft Analysis Please! REP

Looks pretty awesome to me, but it's always hard to tell when we can't see the other teams. Benn in the 3rd round is amazing, and I think Backstrom, Letang and Giroux were also great value. I also think you did a good job of getting mid-tier goalies, which is a strategy I like over gambling on the top dogs. In a keep 12 I think I would be pretty damn happy with these as my top 10.

On a side note, this is the first time I've heard of the "clutch" category, which I love! I hate all 3 of those categories on their own, but combined I think it makes a lot of sense. Is this on Fantrax, or?

Dobber Sports Genius

OH YEAH! Looking good.

I'd be grabbing another goalie. That's just me. I like to have the net covered. I firmly believe that "goaltending doesn't win you a hockey pool but it sure does lose you a hockey pool". Grab a tendy before you no longer have options to choose from.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Superstar

Backstrom in 4th was a steal and nobody will talk about Skinner pick but tenth round for 6th overall in goals scored last year is nice.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

The Great One

Hard t find any fault in what I'm seeing, except maybe Provorov. Is Lee still out there? Grab him soon.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd look for the grittier type top forwards like Kreider. U need to pile on the hits
    10 Team Keeper (5)
    Head-to-Head
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK
    3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 GOALIE

C: Barzal, Mcdavid, J. Staal, Mackinnon, Matthews,

LW: Guentzal, Lee, J.T Miller, Rakell

RW: Point, Nylander, Perron, Marner, Laine

D: Carlson, Hedman, Petry, Byfuglien, McAvoy

G: M. Jones, Price

Dobber Sports Wizard

only reach here is provorov but in year or 2 it wont look like a reach. Other than that you got some nice values, no offence but im guessing you got some rookie GMs in there...Benn, Backstrome, Rask and Skinner are absolute steals where you got them

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Benn in 3rd, Backstrom in 4th and Grioux in 7th.... wow all three of these picks are steals. Nice work.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Perhaps a depth RW, not sure who would be available but maybe like Aho or Sheary
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko
    IR: Hamilton

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for all the input fellas! I agree with everyone's analysis, and some suggestions were very helpful. Provorov was indeed a slight reach, but wouldn't have hung around any longer with many lesser younger players already drafted. (some GM's too focussed on youth and potential vs. proven IMO). I have no problem rostering and keeping him for the next 2-3 years as he will still contribute nicely in peripherals while he continues to develop.

Also, agree on shoring up my goaltending with a decent 3rd option that will get some starts. Also agree that some depth wingers with grit were needed. As such, my next few picks have been:

11. Mike Smith (won't be a keeper, but I'll want to compete for a title right away and he's got a solid team and D in front of him. By far the best of the remaining G
    12. Patrik Hornqvist - love this guy's multi-cat contributions and thrilled to snag him this late
    13. Evander Kane - risky pick, but he's still young and piles on the sog and hit when in the line-up

Dobber Sports All-Star

Crazy great draft for you. Damn. I hope I can draft half that well in my next go
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

The Great One

Seems like we're seeing the makings of a winning squad
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Pro

Better grab a couple more D men soon. If (when) Letang goes down your D situation will be a struggle if you don't start addressing it.

Obviously having Karlsson gives you a big advantage though, and maybe Provorov takes a big step forward.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Taco97 View Post
    Thanks for all the input fellas! I agree with everyone's analysis, and some suggestions were very helpful. Provorov was indeed a slight reach, but wouldn't have hung around any longer with many lesser younger players already drafted. (some GM's too focussed on youth and potential vs. proven IMO). I have no problem rostering and keeping him for the next 2-3 years as he will still contribute nicely in peripherals while he continues to develop.

Also, agree on shoring up my goaltending with a decent 3rd option that will get some starts. Also agree that some depth wingers with grit were needed. As such, my next few picks have been:

11. Mike Smith (won't be a keeper, but I'll want to compete for a title right away and he's got a solid team and D in front of him. By far the best of the remaining G
    12. Patrik Hornqvist - love this guy's multi-cat contributions and thrilled to snag him this late
    13. Evander Kane - risky pick, but he's still young and piles on the sog and hit when in the line-up
    Those are just about the 2 best multi cat wingers out there. Can't believe they are still there
    10 Team Keeper (5)
    Head-to-Head
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK
    3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 GOALIE

C: Barzal, Mcdavid, J. Staal, Mackinnon, Matthews,

LW: Guentzal, Lee, J.T Miller, Rakell

RW: Point, Nylander, Perron, Marner, Laine

D: Carlson, Hedman, Petry, Byfuglien, McAvoy

G: M. Jones, Price

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Better grab a couple more D men soon. If (when) Letang goes down your D situation will be a struggle if you don't start addressing it.

Obviously having Karlsson gives you a big advantage though, and maybe Provorov takes a big step forward.
    Totally, gotta bank on Letang going down for 25 games per season. There was still a nice group of serviceable dmen on the board, so I decided to wait a bit, couldn't pass up the value at other positions with my previous few picks. I grabbed 2 in my next 4 picks though, here's my next series of selections:

14. Seabrook
    15. Eric Staal
    16. Dubinsky
    17. Yandle