Thread: Kyle Okposo - what to expect from him?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Kyle Okposo - what to expect from him?

He was in ICU not all that long ago and things sounded very serious at the time. Has anyone heard how he is looking so far? If he was 100% healthy I would have him in the 55-60 pt range easily but now am not sure what to expect from him. What are your guys thoughts?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Kyle Okposo - what to expect from him?

i think he will be closer to 70 then 55 if he plays 82 games...he will play with either Eichel or RoR which is going to help him

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm not expecting much, and can basically guarantee you that he won't find his way onto a single team of mine this year. I wish him all the best, and hope he's healthy, but I was never his biggest fan even when he was healthy.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I'm not expecting much, and can basically guarantee you that he won't find his way onto a single team of mine this year. I wish him all the best, and hope he's healthy, but I was never his biggest fan even when he was healthy.
    I have him conservatively projected at 17+31 = 48 pts is where I'm comfortable at drafting him but just wondering if im way out of line for putting him that low

The Magnificent One

I think that is low. I would put him closer to 55-60 if not more. I think he is healthyish. I don't say healthy bc he has had problems in the past but this last issue was just a bad reaction to medicine from what I remember reading. He will play with eichel, rr, or and Kane. Add in top pp. 55 should be his floor (depends on if he misses time ofcourse)
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    I think that is low. I would put him closer to 55-60 if not more. I think he is healthyish. I don't say healthy bc he has had problems in the past but this last issue was just a bad reaction to medicine from what I remember reading. He will play with eichel, rr, or and Kane. Add in top pp. 55 should be his floor (depends on if he misses time ofcourse)
    Ok thanks. I'm going to make sure to get one or two viewings of him to see how he looks in game action.

Dobber Sports Superstar

23 g, 33 a
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

The Magnificent One

He's a question mark. Everyone is saying the right things, but this could be a situation where when he plays he's just not the same. I'm with EB in that I'm prepared to chance him being on someone else's fantasy team this year, and if he succeeds - as I hope he does - the real life impact will be more than enough to cover any of my fantasy regret.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports All-Star

I think Okposo's 'mysterious' illness last year and questions surrounding same have made him a great buy low target in my opinion. He was almost the 200th player off the board in one of my leagues (I would have grabbed him but I already had 4 solid RW's). If he had fallen any further, however, I would have grabbed him anyways.

I think he surpasses 60 points this year with a shot at 65 plus. Just my 2 cents.

Dobber Sports Sage

As long as he out points Ryan Strome I'll be happy
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Administrator

I'm fine with him as a late-round option, in and around where you'd be thinking about breakout options like Marchessault, Keller, etc.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    He's a question mark. Everyone is saying the right things, but this could be a situation where when he plays he's just not the same. I'm with EB in that I'm prepared to chance him being on someone else's fantasy team this year, and if he succeeds - as I hope he does - the real life impact will be more than enough to cover any of my fantasy regret.
    Great way to look at it. Ur a great voice of reason around here Rizz.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

From his explanation on his hospitalization here:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/kyle...er/c-290487168

"The medications they gave me to sleep caused a negative reaction in my body. I still couldn't sleep, and the weight loss continued at an alarming rate. At one point, I weighed less than 200 pounds. I haven't weighed that little since I was 17. Now, the initial thought was a possible concussion.Intensive care is a scary place to be, but I needed a place where I could be stabilized. My doctors felt that the Neuro Surgical ICU at Buffalo General was the best place for that to happen."

If there is nothing more than that behind his health issue, I don't see why he can't return to normal performance. He may be a bit behind on conditioning for a while, though.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by bergman View Post
    From his explanation on his hospitalization here:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/kyle...er/c-290487168

"The medications they gave me to sleep caused a negative reaction in my body. I still couldn't sleep, and the weight loss continued at an alarming rate. At one point, I weighed less than 200 pounds. I haven't weighed that little since I was 17. Now, the initial thought was a possible concussion.Intensive care is a scary place to be, but I needed a place where I could be stabilized. My doctors felt that the Neuro Surgical ICU at Buffalo General was the best place for that to happen."

If there is nothing more than that behind his health issue, I don't see why he can't return to normal performance. He may be a bit behind on conditioning for a while, though.
    This is the part that makes me wonder how it will effect his overall production.