Thread: Rank 5 of these 9 forwards for my first 2 picks in re-draft

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Rank 5 of these 9 forwards for my first 2 picks in re-draft

I know 9 is a lot but there is a clump of good available players to be had. I have the 3rd and 5th pick overall, so just rank your top 5 players. Slight priority to Wingers (I don't want to draft 2 Centers forsure). League is in sig. H2H with G/A/+-/PPP/GWG.

Kessel, Pacioretty, Stamkos, Wheeler, Simmonds, Kopitar, Granlund, Atkinson, Bergeron.
    10-Team Keeper League, H2H - (keepers are in brackets, along with the round they are 'kept' in)
    G/A/+-/PPP/GWG, W/SV%/GAA/SO

3C- Matthews (1)
    3LW -
    3RW - Draisatl (18), Rantanen (18)
    3D -
    2G - Hart (18), Dubnyk (18)
    5Bn -

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Rank 5 of these 9 forwards for my first 2 picks in re-draft

Stamkos

Wheeler
    Pacioretty
    Kessel

Atinkson

Then the last pick is very tough. Stamkos you got to gamble on because of his high upside after that the other three wingers in your format are pretty tight together. I expect Patches to score the most goals 35/30/65 and this it's close with Wheeler/Kessel who gets more points. In this format with no goon stats Kessel makes a really good pick.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Stamkos

Wheeler
    Pacioretty
    Kessel

Atinkson

Then the last pick is very tough. Stamkos you got to gamble on because of his high upside after that the other three wingers in your format are pretty tight together. I expect Patches to score the most goals 35/30/65 and this it's close with Wheeler/Kessel who gets more points. In this format with no goon stats Kessel makes a really good pick.
    i agree with this

Dobber Sports Ace

Stamkos for sure and one of Wheeler/Kessel/Patches. The rest don't matter with your league settings and the preconditions you mentioned.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

The Great One

Top four is easy - Stamkos, Wheeler, Kessel, Pacioretty. Then it's a matter of opinion, and for me it's Bergeron, who had 43 points in 45 games in 2017. He'll be back to 70+ points this season.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Wheeler (RW)
    Kessel (RW)
    Pacioretty (LW)
    Stamkos (C)
    Bergeron (C)
    These guys, for me, are all really close.

Atkinson (RW)
    Granlund (C/W)
    Simmonds (RW - who is higher in just about every other multi-cat format, but his bread & butter: PIM/HIT are NOT included... and +/-, which hurts him, is)
    Kopitar (C), last because LAK are sliding, C is deep, and Kopitar is assist-heavy

Wheeler gets the nod at the top for being a winger, on a really high-end scoring team.
    You want shooters, because they score, and that gives you a better chance at GWG - and better if they are on a good team.
    Kessel and the PIT advantage should be a good team, more wins, more likely GWG.
    Pacioretty might shoot/score more volume than Kessel, but MON < PIT for wins.
    Stamkos is normally higher than all these two, but if centers are deep (you SHOULD list your roster allocation. 2C/2LW/2RW is my assumption, but if you have any flex forward slots, or UTIL slots, than you shouldn't be over-valuing wings and Stamkos SHOULD be higher than Kessel/MaxPac)

Don't sleep on Bergeron. He's a high-volume shooter, which translates to goals... on a good team.
    Bergeron finished with 302sog in 79gp last year... that was 3rd in NHL behind Burns (320 in 82gp) and Ovechkin (313 in 82gp).
    For those keeping score at home, Bergeron's 3.822 sog/gp was actually HIGHER than OV's 3.817sog/gp.
    Yeah... that seems crazy, but Bergeron shot more per game last year than Ovechkin.
    He had 43pts in 45gp in calendar 2017.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like the 5th pick is between Bergeron and Atkinson! Would like to hear if anyone had any other thoughts. The league is 3C, 3L, 3R, with no flex or UTL spots, so Centers are definitely more available on the waiver wire than wingers are. We do have 5 Bench spots, so mots teams usually roster about 5C's total.
    10-Team Keeper League, H2H - (keepers are in brackets, along with the round they are 'kept' in)

3C- Matthews (1)
    3LW -
    3D -
    5Bn -

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It's all about "relative difference".
    Here are the steps:
    1. Consider that all C/W players will actually be rostered at W.
    2. Count out the top 36C, 36LW, 36RW.
    3. Compare Bergeron to C36. Compare Atkinson to RW36.
    4. Who seems better, relatively?

It seems like a long exercise, but its the only way to determine if you should value a slightly inferior winger (Atkinson) over a center (Bergeron).
    I have an Excel ranker (that I've manually tweaked to mimic Yahoo "Rank").
    It has weights as G=2.00, A=1.20, +/-=1, PPP=3.00, SOG=0.15, PIM=0.50

Using Yahoo's projections (which are base-6 of G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,PIM):

McDavid shake out at about 320
    Bergeron (C16) comes in at 200 (which includes Bergeron at only 55pts and 241sog. I think this is WAY low)
    Atkinson (RW16) comes in at 200 (which has Atkinson at 58pts and 233sog. I'd say this is accurate)
    RW36 at 155
    C36 at 150 (note*, if I can make C36 come it at a lesser number than W, it means that there is NO positional scarcity at forward, Yahoo for 36/36/36 distribution. Fantasy teams will balance out forwards over the positions the same ways cars on a 3-lane highway will find congestion balance).

[C33 Brassard / C34 Wennberg / C35 Krejci / C36 Dubinsky-due to PIM / C37 Henrique / C38 Anisimov...]
    [RW33 Eberle / RW34 J.Williams / RW35 Reinhart / RW36 K.Hayes / R37 Duchene / R38 Vrbata...] *Note how Duchene & K.Hayes are C/RW have been pushed, by me, to W to test depth.

In summary:
    There is no "bump" that you should give any position in a 12-team 3/3/3 setting with these cats.
    That means, you should simply pick on pure Bergeron vs. Atkinson - who will do better.

NB*: If you are on some other platform... not Yahoo!... you have to walk through same exercise regarding positional allocaiton.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

That is very helpful, and a good reminder for me for the future. Thanks!!

3C- Matthews (1)
    3LW -
    3D -
    5Bn -