Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's your worst drafting nightmare/experience?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default What's your worst drafting nightmare/experience?

We all love drafts, but sometimes they don't go our way. I am currently knee deep in the middle of that.

For our very own Dobber Pro Campbell division I am the commish, and Horrorfan has been organizing the whole thing. So we have been sharing a team as co-owners to get everything organized. But we missed one crucial point to our organization (that I will get to in a minute).

So I enter the draft at 7:32 (starts at 8pm). Tons of time. Go post in the league thread that I'm the first one there, grab some water, use the bathroom, chat with my buddies about the other draft I have coming up at 9pm (that I can now give my full attention to), etc.

*I don't even start up a queue until about round 7 or 8 when things start to get off track and a little hairy.

Draft starts up, and gets to my pick at the turn. 12th. Last one in the first round. Nothing has clicked until this point. And then at 50 seconds left on the timer, my first pick is auto drafted. Thinking that something is going wrong, I rush to pick the next guy on my queue with pick 13, but there's no draft button. Instead I read with a pit in my stomach "co-managers are not allowed to draft".

Apparently in all of our organization, Horrorfan and I missed the fact that I was still only the co-owner of the team, and therefore can't select players. So I am currently watching my queue pick up all of the forwards while Gs and D get sucked dry.

Due to some joke rankings I made, I'm also going to end up with Boeser, Jost, Chabot and Saros all way before pick 200. Maybe as early as 110.

A little speed bump, but likely to be a fun challenge! I'm not even mad or unhappy, it's just too funny of a situation.

As it currently stands. I have 8 picks - 7 forwards and 1 D. Draft strategy was going to be to have 3F, 4D and a goalie by now. Or 2F and 2G.

Curious to hear any other stories people have here. Or at least nightmares of what could happen.

Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Default Re: What's your worst drafting nightmare/experience?

Reason #9755502652214 to not use Yahoo
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Guru

On the bright side, you didn't draft a dead person, a la Ottawa's and Montreal's CFL teams.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Monster

Back in 2010-11 I joined my $50 1 year league for the first time. I really thought I knew it all when it came to hockey back then but really I was a novice - middle of the pack poolie. Anyhow, my first round went well, got Roberto Luongo who got me 90 points, then went with Carter and Spezza, with my inexperience the later rounds of the draft went terrible for me. I drafted Guillame Latendress - 6 pts, Keith Ballard - 7 pts, Matt Niskanen - 10 pts ... OH did I mention I selected Mark Streit who missed the whole season? And this is a frozen league where when you draft a guy you KEEP him and no adds or drops.

A year or two later I selected Vladimir Sobotka and that was after he went to the KHL .... yeah I felt pretty stupid afterwards .... senior members probably knew about it but never said anything. Pick or two like that will totally RUIN your team. But yeah most of those mistakes were simply that I didn't do my homework but have been working pretty hard the past two seasons to leave no stone unturned.

finished 18/24 my first season but my last 2 seasons have been 3rd/25 and 2nd/24

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    On the bright side, you didn't draft a dead person, a la Ottawa's and Montreal's CFL teams.
    I must have missed this. What happened there?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I must have missed this. What happened there?
    From Sports Urban Legends Revealed:

In 1993, the Canadian Football League tried out something that had been relatively successful for Major League Baseball in the past, expanding past their own country. In 1993, the CFL added an expansion team from the United States, the Sacramento Gold Miners. The next year, the CFL added the Las Vegas Posse, the Shreveport Pirates, and the Baltimore Colts (later Baltimore Stallions).

However, after just one disappointing season, the Las Vegas Posse folded.

Their players were then entered into a dispersal draft in April 1995.

The Ottawa Rough Riders (a team founded in 1876) drafted Posse defensive end Derrell Robertson.

There was just one (fairly notable) problem…

You see, Robertson had died in a car accident in December of 1994.

Ottawa’s head coach Jim Gilstrap remarked at the time of the discovery of Robertson’s death “the league didn’t know he was dead until we told them, and we didn’t know until we couldn’t find him.”

By the end of the 1995 season, the CFL USA experiment had come to a close, and while most of the teams folded, the Baltimore Stallions owner, irked at the idea of competing with the Baltimore Ravens (who had moved there that season) moved the team to Montreal and re-named them the Montreal Alouettes.

In the March 1996 Canadian college draft, the Alouettes drafted defensive end James Eggink of Northern Illinois in the fifth round.

Again, the only problem was that Eggink had died of cancer in December of 1995. Lightning had somehow struck twice! Speros was quoted as saying, “I’m upset and embarrassed as an owner. The research process can be very difficult.” John Tory, then Chairman of the CFL, said of his teams, “I would think the first qualification they might want to come up with is that the person’s alive.”

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Yeah it didn't get that bad.

Final team in order of selection:

1. (12) Jamie Benn (Dal - LW)
    2. (13) Jack Eichel (Buf - C)
    3. (36) Tyler Seguin (Dal - C,RW)
    4. (37) Joe Pavelski (SJ - C,RW)
    5. (60) Rasmus Ristolainen (Buf - D)
    6. (61) Patrice Bergeron (Bos - C)
    7. (84) Patric Hornqvist (Pit - RW)
    8. (85) Anders Lee (NYI - LW)
    9. (108) Chris Kreider (NYR - LW)
    10. (109) Evander Kane (Buf - LW)
    11. (132) Nick Foligno (Cls - LW,RW)
    12. (133) Ryan Kesler (Anh - C)
    13. (156) Brendan Gallagher (Mon - RW)
    14. (157) Thomas Chabot (Ott - D)
    15. (180) Calvin de Haan (NYI - D)
    16. (181) Alec Martinez (LA - D)
    17. (204) Brian Elliott (Phi - G)
    18. (205) Jaroslav Halak (NYI - G)
    19. (228) Mattias Ekholm (Nsh - D)
    20. (229) Jaccob Slavin (Car - D)
    21. (252) Sam Bennett (Cgy - C,LW)
    22. (253) Nick Ritchie (Anh - LW)
    23. (276) Cal Clutterbuck (NYI - RW)
    24. (277) Aaron Dell (SJ - G)
    25. (300) Trevor Daley (Det - D)

Fs are stacked. D2 is Chabot. Goalies are both timeshares - plus Dell. Should be fun

Administrator

Worst draft ever was a playoff draft. Before starting I played shooter chess and my 'opponent' kept subbing out for someone else. Essentially I took a bunch of shots and everyone else had a couple. I woke up the next morning with my team consisting of mostly rookies. The only thing that kept me out of last place is it was that I had Perry/Getzlaf who made it deep as rookies.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

I got all cozy on the lazy boy with my laptop for a casual league but halfway through draft the juice started to run out of the laptop --should have used the power adapter !

Dobber Sports Titan

I forgot that our inaugural NFL draft started, and I got autodrafted. First picks were like Ray Rice, Steven Jackson, Ridley, and Brees.

I forgot our inaugural MLB draft started, and i autodrafted. First pick was Braun who had just come off his half yr PED suspension.

I forgot our inaugural NHL draft started, and I autodrafted. First pick I lucked out (Stamkos), next pick was a Sedin, next was someone bad (can't even remember) and 4th was Karlsson. So not too bad. I ended up trading Sedin for Rask like right after the draft.

I forget drafts apparently.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I forgot that our inaugural NFL draft started, and I got autodrafted. First picks were like Ray Rice, Steven Jackson, Ridley, and Brees.

I forgot our inaugural MLB draft started, and i autodrafted. First pick was Braun who had just come off his half yr PED suspension.

I forgot our inaugural NHL draft started, and I autodrafted. First pick I lucked out (Stamkos), next pick was a Sedin, next was someone bad (can't even remember) and 4th was Karlsson. So not too bad. I ended up trading Sedin for Rask like right after the draft.

I forget drafts apparently.
    Are you sure? I can't seem to find a pattern here...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Beer.

9 out of 10 drafts it's my down fall, but that 1 time.....I won the league.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

The Great One

This is a stretch, but my worst experience was writing a cage match piece on drafting advice and pointing to a guy in my league who always reaches for hits guys too early - then boom he does the same thing in that year's draft and wins the league for the first time since I'd joined. Hi Sam if you're reading this.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Monster

Last year I got burnt by an epic goalie rush. There was about 20 picks between my picks and I passed on goalies one too many times. I had Quick and no on else entering the draft as usual for me. In previous years I had done very well taking my second goalie later on. I had grabbed Martin Jones late. I had grabbed John Gibson. Robin Lehner. Connor Hellebuyck. That year I was set. But last year, I got too comfortable and passed on Sergei Bobrovsky when he was available a few rounds deep (this was after his and CBJ's epic meltdown year so nobody was taking him early). I missed out on my plan B, C, and D. I ended up drafting Steve Mason and Kari Lehtonen as my 2 and 3. Niemi got poached (in hindsight not a tragedy). Then my plan Z Cam Ward was snatched from me late in the draft to top it all off. As you know Quick went down in the first game, and I was rolling with Mason and Lehtonen and nobody would trade with me. It worked out in the end as I was able to steal Andersen away during a Leafs slump, but man, that feeling of not having stable goaltending sucked!

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Beer.

9 out of 10 drafts it's my down fall, but that 1 time.....I won the league.
    Alcohol and drafts usually don't go well together. In my $100 draft I started downing vodka once my team missed out on the big goalie run and I didn't know what to do after that lol. But I plan on having a few in my upcoming drafts to calm the nerves a little bit, can get a little stressful.