Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Auction Leagues intrigue me....

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Auction Leagues intrigue me....

but I don't really know much about them.

If anyone can redirect me to a good source that explains a typical league structure (how they are set up, how the auction/bidding happens, how the dollar values are set, etc.) and typical league rules I would appreciate it.

If there isn't a definitive source out there in fantasy land, any insight the Dobber community can add would be appreciated.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Auction Leagues intrigue me....

research the Keeping Karlsson podcast - auction draft strategies (I think there are two parts). There is also a Keeping Karlsson podcast about setting up a league, and they discuss auctions in there too I believe.

http://www.keepingkarlsson.com/e/bon...ith-jeff-good/
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G

C - Eichel, Hischier,
    LW -
    RW -
    D - Hamilton,
    G - Hellebuyck

Packer Fan

Dobber Sports Stud

awesome - thx joe! REP sent
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G

Dobber Sports Initiate

careful though - once you start doing auctions you will never want to snake draft again!
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G

C - Eichel, Hischier,
    LW -
    RW -
    D - Hamilton,
    G - Hellebuyck

Packer Fan

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by joe jones View Post
    careful though - once you start doing auctions you will never want to snake draft again!
    JJ is correct, auctions are great especially if you are doing them live. You really need a strategy on how to build a team, and stay under your salary cap. You also need to be in a league with other active owners. It is great when you steal a player cheap, when you thought you would have to bid more. You also can't get caught up in the bidding, seen many players go for way more than they need because a couple owners get caught up in a bidding war and don't want to lose to the other. You have to at least try 1 auction draft some time.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

The Magnificent One

I originally did an auction league, but now do a traditional snake draft. I feel like traditional drafts reward expertise more.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ninja

Auction drafts intrigue me as well. I had even gone as far as creating a template for an auction league with contracts - any players won by auction were automatically at that salary for 3 years, then they became RFA. After the 3 years, the player has to go up for auction, but the owner does not bid. After the highest bid is established, the owner who holds his rights can match and retain for another 3 years. You could voluntarily put one of your guys up for auction before the 3 year mark and still retain RFA rights. I've got all of the rules buried somewhere, but just don't have the time right now to find 8-12 crazy, active guys to give this a go. I'd have to drop a couple of my current leagues, but I would love to try this one year.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

I was in a really good auction league setup. It was a shame the GM's and commish were lacklustre.

With a few modifications to the league rules/setup it would have been a great league.

Don't have time to post now, but will later tonight or tomorrow.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I was in a really good auction league setup. It was a shame the GM's and commish were lacklustre.

With a few modifications to the league rules/setup it would have been a great league.

Don't have time to post now, but will later tonight or tomorrow.
    Looking forward to it!
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Auction drafts intrigue me as well. I had even gone as far as creating a template for an auction league with contracts - any players won by auction were automatically at that salary for 3 years, then they became RFA. After the 3 years, the player has to go up for auction, but the owner does not bid. After the highest bid is established, the owner who holds his rights can match and retain for another 3 years. You could voluntarily put one of your guys up for auction before the 3 year mark and still retain RFA rights. I've got all of the rules buried somewhere, but just don't have the time right now to find 8-12 crazy, active guys to give this a go. I'd have to drop a couple of my current leagues, but I would love to try this one year.
    This sounds really interesting...it would be great if you could dig up the rules and post sometime!
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G

Dobber Sports Stud

you would fill that league in about 5 minutes...

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Novice

Hey guys, I'm the commissioner of an Auction draft league. Most of our 13-team league is returning, but we have 4-5 spots open...

Most of the league hadn't done an auction draft prior to last year so I made a write-up about how it works and strategy. If you care to read it, Pit Bulls (or anyone else), I'd be glad to post it.

Also we use an original point scoring system that I devised. We're drafting on Wednesday, Sept 27 at 9:15 pm Eastern.

Here's the link to invite/settings:

https://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.c...d21c4d8f4dd1f7

Dobber Sports Stud

@HasekRoll - I wasn't looking at joining an auction league this year as I have more than enough other pools to keep me busy!

This year is strictly a research year to see if an auction league is something I would join in the future. If you are ok with it, feel free to post your write up on how auction pools work and strategy.
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G

Dobber Sports Wizard

Auction leagues intrigue me as well but one issue I've seen with them is that they're not deep enough, so in the end everyone will add a bunch of 50 point players for minimum salary (like $1) which really throws the values of every player in that league then. But if someone is starting an auction league next year and it's deep enough to avoid that issue, then I might join that league.

And yes, I understand that auction leagues will always have some minimum salary players but I think those guys should be depth guys who score 20 points at most, just like they are in the NHL. If 60 point players cost you $20 and 50 point players cost $1, then that's just not right.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I have interest too. Not for this season as my dance card is full, but definitely for next. I did a mock auction draft the other day and blew my wad way to early Ooops. Definitely need to go in with some strategy and some skill. I look forward to reading more on the subject.