Thread: Gore vs Mack

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Gore vs Mack

League: 0.75pt PPR, one-yr league

I'm having some lineup troubles and am trying to pickup Marlon Mack. I don't have anyone I can easily drop, not until after this Sunday, and the concern is that I want to get him before his value starts to rise.

Ideally, I'd like to drop Gore to do it, but after last years performance I'm having a hard time letting him go. With Luck out I can't see him being used much the next few weeks though and if Mack's skills really start to shine in the absence of a passing game, could be game over for Gore as a fantasy asset.

Thoughts? Cut Gore loose?
    Find a way to let someone else go instead? (Jamaal Charles? AP?)

I know people aren't too high on those veterans either, but I think either of them could rip it up if given the carries. AP I would love to drop but there are still so many uncertainties surrounding his usage.

Advice?

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Gore vs Mack

Not buying the Mack hype just yet. It was a blowout hence why he saw equal the touches Gore did. Yes he should have had a 2nd TD but besides that he had a crappy rushing line. Gore is still primary back and will have better workloads going forward.

I'm not buying the Mack hype either. Not until Luck returns and we see how he is utilized at that time. This is a situation where Gore vs Mack depends on the composition of your roster. How much variance do you have? In other words, if you have multiple players with boom-bust or wide variance in weekly production then I would want Gore's higher floor to help stabilize or offset the risk in your other players.

However, if your roster already has a number of safer/high-floor plays who will minimize Mack's risk then I would go with Mack. I would not want both Mack and Gore on my roster. Picking between the two would give me a headache and their respective weekly outcomes isn't high enough to justify the pain in my head.

I would also have no problem dumping AP for a player with higher potential upside in production. I would recommend this (and this applies to anyone): if your roster is week or thin at a position - say RB - don't drop that same position when making your waiver claim. Try to drop an alternative position say WR or TE (in this example). There are exceptions of course (injured players), but generally if you are trying to strengthen a specific position on your roster by making a waiver claim you don't want to dump a player from that very same position.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd much rather have Mack than AP at this point. I recognize that the Colts are terrible without Luck (maybe even with him), but Mack has much better potential than AP at this point in my opinion.

Among other things, with Gore on your roster, Mack likely steps into big time duties if Gore misses time, his play declines or the Colts simply fall far enough in the standings that they opt to move in a different direction and see what they have with younger players.

On the flip side, AP really looks like a poor fit in the Saints offense. Yes, it's been all of one week, but he's much more name than production at this point. He was basically awful last year before injury, and I've seen nothing in the preseason or throug one week to think that was an anomaly rather than the onset of inevitable decline that even all-time great players eventually hit.

Sure, maybe he has a couple weeks over the course of the season where he punches a few bunny touchdowns in and would have value, but there's really nothing he can do at this point that Ingram can't. And Kamara might be the best fit of all for the Saints offense, so it may be just a matter of time until he's getting more and more of the workload on a weekly basis.

Point is, I'm not sure how one would ever start AP with confidence. Even if an injury were to befall one of his backfield mates, I'm still not convinced that AP would be the player seeing a meaningful uptick in his role. His floor is uncertain, and his ceiling looks to be worthy of inducing severe claustrophobia. With that being the case, I'm not seeing the value in continuing to hold onto him.

Just my two cents.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov