Thread: NHL 18

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default NHL 18

Review isn't amazing....wish they would start putting more into these. This seems like a roster update year.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/15/nhl-18-review

The Magnificent One

Default Re: NHL 18

These games are like cars - every three to five years they really make huge improvements, but in the other years between those all you see are minor cosmetic changes and updates.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Superstar

can anyone please tell me if they finally reinstated ability for friends to play online versus not in same room together and play EVERY position on the ice rather than that locked in position EASHL crap.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

The Great One

video games are unreal these days.

my last system is playstation 1, but of course I would beat anybody at NHL or FIFA

Dobber Sports Icon

I bought the game today for the 25th (I think) straight year. I will likely play it a bit tonight and will post my thoughts on it ever sometimes next week.

Dobber Sports Pro

Extremely disappointed in this series the last few years. Whoever is in charge of it should be ashamed. Used to be far and away the best sports game made, which was reflected in the great reviews it would receive, now its far and away the worst sports title.
    Don't get me wrong the actual game play on the ice has always been good, and they usually make it a little better each year, its the complete lack of progression everywhere else.
    In fact, calling it a lack of progression is too kind, they stripped game modes and options away in recent years, making it a smaller more repetitive game.

My biggest pet peeve is the biggest indicator of the laziness and complete lack of caring that has infected the EA NHL team, the slow loading menus, every movement on the menu, every time you click on a player to expand stats, the game lags for a second or 2 to load the info....its a sign of terrible game design and coding. People have complained about this for years and its always the same. Maybe this year finally addressed it, but im not optimistic.
    The same studio that makes Fifa makes NHL and the menu lag isnt an issue in Fifa, so why is NHL so awful? Who cares the Canadians will buy a million copies anyways.

ps. Ill still prolly buy the game again this year, just wont be in any rush to get it like I was previous years.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Wizard

The new "NHL Threes" game mode is actually pretty fun to play. It's more like old-fashioned hockey games where the rules are very loose but you also play 3vs3.

The menus are also much improved this year which is great because they truly sucked in the previous two versions. For the first time in a few years, this feels like an actually finished product right away - usually you've had to wait a couple of months for them to fix a bunch of bugs before you get that feeling. But I've only played a few hours so far and mostly that new "NHL Threes" mode, so maybe there are still issues I haven't seen yet.

Dobber Sports Icon

I have now played a bit of NHL 3s as well as 1 game in my franchise.

3s - is pretty fun even playing against the computer. The offline mode seems like it can be fun for a decent amount of time.

HUT - there are a bunch of challenges added that actually give you a purpose to play games in this mode, seems like a great addition

Franchise - the menus are much faster than last year; I have not looked into the budget/owner stuff much yet but at first glance it appears to be a bit more in depth yet easier to manage at the same time

GAMEPLAY

In my first couple hours of game play, I noticed that it is once again a big step up from last year if you understand the subtleties of the game. The game looks exactly the same but the AI is improved. Their dmen will step up at all 3 lines which never used to happen.

Dobber Sports Pro

i'm just relieved people are saying the menus are faster.
    been waiting years for that minor improvement.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    i'm just relieved people are saying the menus are faster.
    been waiting years for that minor improvement.
    There can still be significant load times but the menus are definitely faster.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I have yet to play after the weekend (I only played Threes then) but I hope they've also improved the in-game menu structure because I just hated the previous versions for that. They always had like 2 buttons and then another 2 buttons after that and then again 2 new buttons. I mean, can't you just have the necessary buttons in the 1st or 2nd page?

The thing I hated the most is replacing a player mid-game - if your PK guy gets a penalty, you need to spend like 5 minutes to replace him on the PK or end up with some random guy out there. That's just stupid because it's one of those things that happen all the time and there should be some sort of quick option to handle it quickly... And then for the next PK, you need to do it all over again to get your original guy back there. And while on the topic, I hope they added a 3rd PK unit because who really plays with just two PK units anymore? My guys are always so tired they can barely move. Or maybe I'm just taking more penalties than others?

Dobber Sports Superstar

can anyone please comment on if we are allowed to do online versus w/ friends and can switch between any and all position on our team not that locked in nonsense they only allowed in EASHL once consoles went next gen. My friend and I so much as contemplating purchasing hinges on this sole fact as we have played together for years but now must be in same room to play together in online versus.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    And while on the topic, I hope they added a 3rd PK unit because who really plays with just two PK units anymore? My guys are always so tired they can barely move. Or maybe I'm just taking more penalties than others?
    Nah you're fine. We've all been there.
    Fans have been asking for a 3rd PK and PP unit for years, as well as a best line option at 5v5, all these were in older versions of the NHL series, the best lines feature was in like NHL 2001, but that doesnt help EA sell HUT packs to 12 year olds. So its likely never been brought up in any design meetings.