Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Will Duchene ever get traded?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Will Duchene ever get traded?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I don't see that big of a difference between the two, other than age.
    This trade would have zero chance of happening if Ottawa didn't feel Duchene was a significant upgrade over Turris. Duchene is putting up similar/better numbers on the worst team in the NHL vs Turris on one of the best, swap teams and the difference in talent would be more obvious.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    This trade would have zero chance of happening if Ottawa didn't feel Duchene was a significant upgrade over Turris. Duchene is putting up similar/better numbers on the worst team in the NHL vs Turris on one of the best, swap teams and the difference in talent would be more obvious.
    I guess. I am just not sure there's that big of a difference to pay Duchene the difference in salary (Turris is still only $3.5M) for this year and only one more season at $6M then he can become a UFA, which means even more money.

I guess I just don't see the value in Duchene that the Senators would but that's just me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

If Friedman is right, Ekholm wasn't part of any deal.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...63522544640000
    Obviously this is just speculation and guesswork but I think it's most likely Girard who would be moved from Nashville. They don't really need him and he's a very good 'D' prospect who is pretty much NHL ready now. Nashville is probably given permission to discuss contract extension with Turris beforehand. If they get that done as well, Nashville is probably adding a 2nd round pick or something like that. Then Ottawa is probably just adding a 1st round pick and another later pick to the pot and sending it to Colorado to get Duchene.

I think that would make sense for all teams involved - Nashville is in win now mode and don't mind giving Turris 8 years to be their #2C, Ottawa gets Duchene to be their #1C, and Colorado gets a young D-man they can insert into their lineup right away and also a bunch of picks.

The holdup is probably Colorado feeling like they're not getting enough value considering the asking price they've had so far.

Again, purely speculating here.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I guess I just don't see the value in Duchene that the Senators would but that's just me.
    The value is that the Sens improve their chances this year and next. That's their best window, before Karlsson gets his massive raise.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

They also could re sign duchene depending on what he wants on his next deal.

ottawa and Colorado appear to both want this done so I except a three team trade after the sens return from Sweden

Dobber Sports Titan

Maybe it's just me, but if the Sens are willing to pay Duchene his $6M salary, I think I'd rather keep Turris and pay him the $6M when his contract comes due at seasons end (assuming it would even cost that much to re-sign him). At least you'd have him locked up long term instead of Duchene who's only good for a couple more seasons before he hits UFA status. I don't see that big of a difference between the two, other than age.
    I'm 100% with you on that. What it tells me is that Turris is asking for RyJo money, not Duchene money. Ottawa being the budget team that they are, they would be willing to pay in prospects to upgrade their talent (in their eyes) and downgrade their pay outlook for the next couple of years.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I'm 100% with you on that. What it tells me is that Turris is asking for RyJo money, not Duchene money. Ottawa being the budget team that they are, they would be willing to pay in prospects to upgrade their talent (in their eyes) and downgrade their pay outlook for the next couple of years.
    no, he’s not. He’s asking for around 6 million for 7 years. Sens only want to go 4-5 years. This is where the divide is. The days of Ottawa being a strict budget team are no longer as they will be right at the top of the league in salaries in a year or two with stone and KarlssonS new contract. If they had to go long term they would rather do it with duchene than Turris.

Dobber Sports Deity

But they wont get Duchene for $6M long term. He's already making $6M so once he becomes a UFA he will want more then he's making on his current contract.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

But they wont get Duchene for $6M long term. He's already making $6M so once he becomes a UFA he will want more then he's making on his current contract.
    He wouldn’t get more than that with his last two years of production. Doubt he gets more than 6. Maybe if he had a monster year next year

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    He wouldn’t get more than that with his last two years of production. Doubt he gets more than 6. Maybe if he had a monster year next year
    Players heading into UFA rarely sign for the same money, especially high end players like Duchene. That's naive to think Duchene is going to re-sign for $6M again as a UFA.

Its like you are saying he isnt worth the money hes making now let alone once he becomes a UFA.

Players heading into UFA rarely sign for the same money, especially high end players like Duchene. That's naive to think Duchene is going to re-sign for $6M again as a UFA.

Its like you are saying he isnt worth the money hes making now let alone once he becomes a UFA.
    No that’s not how it works. You don’t just automatically get more than you did last contract if you didn’t perform
    to expectation .

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree, he hasnt played up to his expectation the past couple seasons but if you think he is going to sign his first UFA contract for the same or less than he's making now, he will only be in Ottawa ( assuming he gets dealt there) for this season and next because someone will sign him to more for the same reason Ottawa wants him; because someone still believes he's better than he's been in Colorado.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    no, he’s not. He’s asking for around 6 million for 7 years. Sens only want to go 4-5 years. This is where the divide is. The days of Ottawa being a strict budget team are no longer as they will be right at the top of the league in salaries in a year or two with stone and KarlssonS new contract. If they had to go long term they would rather do it with duchene than Turris.
    And that's not how salaries work. Just because Stone/Karlsson are getting raises doesn't mean the rest of the payroll is going to stay the same. Brassard's 5M cap comes off the books, a bunch of bottom 6'ers will be replaced with cheaper options etc.

Melnyk isn't going to spend to the cap, don't kid yourself.

Dobber Sports Expert

Almost done then fell apart.

To Ottawa: Matt Duchene
    To Nashville: Turris
    To Colorado: picks & prospects

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    And that's not how salaries work. Just because Stone/Karlsson are getting raises doesn't mean the rest of the payroll is going to stay the same. Brassard's 5M cap comes off the books, a bunch of bottom 6'ers will be replaced with cheaper options etc.

Melnyk isn't going to spend to the cap, don't kid yourself.
    they already almost are at the cap today without those extensions. He also won't be owning the team in a few years so it doesn't matter.

Brassard will also be re signed in my opinion. And he will take a team friendly short term contact. Another big reason they don't want to commit to Turris for seven years.

Sens will be right at the cap in two years.