Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Failed Physicals

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Failed Physicals

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    That's an interesting question, although I can't imagine how they could get more than the 100% cap relief that LTIR would give them in Lupul's case.

I didn't hear the program, but I would guess what they were trying to say is that if Lupul's independent physical deems him healthy, then the Leafs would have to bury him with the Marlies to get back at least a small percentage of his cap hit.
    Then again, I don't think they want him around their kids, so maybe they take the full hit and just make him a healthy scratch every game.
    This was actually a while ago, before Lupuls apology and before the NHL indicated they'd go for a second opinion.

They brought it up to indicate that the Leafs weren't doing this for cap relief, as they would gain more relief by having him play in the AHL.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I don't pretend to know how the LTIR calculation works, as it seems very complicated.

But burying a player in the AHL only provides a team with cap relief of league minimum (650k) + 375k = 1,025,000

So I don't understand what those radio guys were talking about.

source:
    https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#buried

(in other words, burying Lupul would not only contaminate the kids but the Leafs would still get a cap hit on Lupul of 4,225,000 (5.250-1.025)
    Interesting. I didn't really understand their logic at the time and was hoping they'd explain it, but it never got there.

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't understand... you ask this question (when I suggested Lups should have first gone to Lou and Shanny privately, and they'd do right by him) and then in the very next post you admit yourself that you're sure there is an additional trunk of money waiting for him...

Would that additional trunk of money not be an example of them doing right by him?
    Was Robidas' emergence from his island into a cushy player development gig a coincidence? Or is it an example of them doing right by a player?
    1. I just don't know what you know about these guys. Is it anymore than the rest of us? Are they real life sweethearts, or are they uber competitive cutthroat jerks who will bend the rules as much as possible to get an advantage?
    2.The addition bucket of money awaiting him was me suggesting that they effectively bribed him to change his tune.
    3.How do you not know that Lupul didn't already go to them about this prior to his comments on Twitter? He didn't get anywhere his desire to play, so he just dropped the gloves.
    4.It's in the Leafs best interest (IMO) if he stays on the IR, the cap relief benefits them more than his oft injured, mediocre play.

I just don't know how/if you can validate your assertion that they would "do right by him", presuming you only know what you hear on the radio and see on TV.

My vibe on Uncle Lou, and this is just my hunch, is that he's an old school, grumpy, stubborn, my way or the highway type of guy whose highly competitive attitude will justify (in his eyes) bending the rules if it gets him an edge.

We've seen clear evidence of his "my way or the highway" mantra.....So my take on him can't be totally wrong.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Deity

The media is usually pumping the tires of the Leafs, not bringing them down. That's for all the non-Leaf fans to do.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

And Liljegren will be with the Marlies.