Thread: Rankings for multi-cat leagues?!?!?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Rankings for multi-cat leagues?!?!?

So in Yahoo when you try a mock draft the rankings are only for that standard league(G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SOG)

Let's look at Jack Eichel for example.

Jack Eichel's average draft position is 13.2
    When you try a mock you can sort the players by:

Experts pre-season ranks Jack Eichel is 11
    and
    Ranks based on the league settings(standard league G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SOG) Jack Eichel is

In the multi-cat league I play there is - edit pre-season rankings option. So there the players are ranked by G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SOG aaaaand Hits!! But my league have also blocks and faceoffs won.
    In this rankings Jack Eichel is 29 !!!

So my question is where i can find rankings based on hits blocks and FO won + the other standard categories?

Or the only answer is that I have to trust my knowledge about all the players and analyze it by myself?
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Rankings for multi-cat leagues?!?!?

Yahoo! can be a tough platform to draft with because, yes, the in-draft "Rank" sorts players by stats in just those six categories. (Where Eichel = 11)
    I call this the "Yahoo Base Six".

So, yes - Eichel Ranks

11 This is the "expert" pre-ranking of Eichel based on... somebody's opinion. I think this is a pretty good spot, actually.
    13.2 This is the average draft position (ADP) of Eichel based on actual drafts using Yahoo draft platform.
    20 This is the "Current" / "Rank" of Eichel, using a league player sort, based on projected ("Remaining Games (proj) ) Base Six stats.
    22 This is the "Current" / "Rank" of Eichel, using a league player sort, based on projected ("Remaining Games (proj) ) in a league with Base Six AND including FW HIT BLK.
    29 This is where you've got Eichel for your league with HITS.
    82 This is the "Current" / "Rank" of Eichel, using a league player sort, based on 2016-2017 ACTUAL STATS in a league with Base Six (and nothing else).
    82 This is the "Current" / "Rank" of Eichel, using a league player sort, based on 2016-2017 ACTUAL STATS in a league with Base Six AND including FW HIT BLK.

As for league specific categories, there's a good website many forum members use called Fantasy Hockey Geek (www.fantasyhockeygeek.com) that is VERY good for chugging through all your league numbers.
    Like anything else, you do need/want to understand how the numbers apply.
    And this is because that website WILL list increase value (which is REAL) for players that HIT, but if you draft just on value, then hitting players will seem like a "value draft" compared to Yahoo stats.
    Then you'll end up overdrafting HITS-players, dominate that one category, and maybe have an inferior team in other cats.

One of the best tools to use is Yahoos "in-draft" Projected Standings... as it will show you a bit about how you are doing versus other teams.
    I prepare for Yahoo leagues by mocking 20+ times and watching that standings throughout and seeing how well I can finish at top of all categories against the Yahoo autobots.

FHG (fantasy hockey geek) like Yahoo Projected Ranks and others (I make my own spreadsheet) all use the same concept.
    You weight each category by some amount, combine the results, and compare that players score to a "waiver wire" level players.
    Then the players are ranked by relative difference ("value") to that waiver level player.

There are so many setting in different leagues these days that establishing the "waiver level" player score is the hard part.
    A 24-team 12F/6D league is very, very different than a 12-team 2C/2LW/2RW/4D league.

As a quick summary - let's say you just don't want to do all this:
    *Draft based on Yahoo! Projected Stats - which are solid - and simply give all ties in consideration to the player that HITS.
    *Also, late-drafting some big HITTING defensemen (who don't score on level as forwards) works very well in HITS leagues. In a 6D league, I'd target a Luke Schenn and a Derek Forbort late as my D5/D6, and then HITS are taken care of.

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think I find the answer Idont think that you will find a better projections list for multi-cat leagues! http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-fantasy-hockey-rankings-1.853367

Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn_d0e View Post
    I think I find the answer Idont think that you will find a better projections list for multi-cat leagues! http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-spea...kings-1.853367
    Issue with this list is that it isn't "smart" in any way.
    1. It doesn't mix positions.
    2. It doesn't show you a total score or weight... so you have no idea where gaps are in tiers.

For example...
    C10 Getzlaf
    LW10 Lucic
    RW10 Nylander

There's nothing in that list to help you determine where Getzlaf is closer to C9 or C11.
    And how good is C10 relative to LW10 and RW10???
    This is a big unknown.

I know by using weights and finished numbers that LW is Ovechkin,Benn.... Marchand.......... LW4-LW10 tightly bunched.
    And I also know using weights and scores that RW is (PKane/Kuch/Pav/Tank/Wheeler) are all quite close... and that Laine/Pastrnak/Simmonds are not far off, nor is W.Nylander
    But Patric Hornqvist, for me, is way too high -and that suggests TSN is overweighting HITS.
    67pt Phil Kessel vs. 46pt Hornqvist - is anybody really taking Hornqvist before Kessel - when they know they can just restock their HITS late with a L.Schenn/Forbort type defenseman.
    And there is NO way David Backes should be drafted in advance of Jakub Voracek. Backes played some RW3 for Boston last year. Voracek is a bonafide top line, PP1 always guy.
    This is a possible 40pt player vs. a possible 75pt player... hits.be.damned.

In extended multi-cat, a GM has really gotta understand weights and finished scores...
    Or they think the TSN list is a good one... and they end up drafting LW6 (Panarin) when RW6 (Wheeler) is just WAY better.

[But... I feel like I'm wasting my keyboard pounding here...]

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Issue with this list is that it isn't "smart" in any way.
    1. It doesn't mix positions.
    2. It doesn't show you a total score or weight... so you have no idea where gaps are in tiers.

For example...
    C10 Getzlaf
    LW10 Lucic
    RW10 Nylander

There's nothing in that list to help you determine where Getzlaf is closer to C9 or C11.
    And how good is C10 relative to LW10 and RW10???
    This is a big unknown.

I know by using weights and finished numbers that LW is Ovechkin,Benn.... Marchand.......... LW4-LW10 tightly bunched.
    And I also know using weights and scores that RW is (PKane/Kuch/Pav/Tank/Wheeler) are all quite close... and that Laine/Pastrnak/Simmonds are not far off, nor is W.Nylander
    But Patric Hornqvist, for me, is way too high -and that suggests TSN is overweighting HITS.
    67pt Phil Kessel vs. 46pt Hornqvist - is anybody really taking Hornqvist before Kessel - when they know they can just restock their HITS late with a L.Schenn/Forbort type defenseman.
    And there is NO way David Backes should be drafted in advance of Jakub Voracek. Backes played some RW3 for Boston last year. Voracek is a bonafide top line, PP1 always guy.
    This is a possible 40pt player vs. a possible 75pt player... hits.be.damned.

In extended multi-cat, a GM has really gotta understand weights and finished scores...
    Or they think the TSN list is a good one... and they end up drafting LW6 (Panarin) when RW6 (Wheeler) is just WAY better.

[But... I feel like I'm wasting my keyboard pounding here...]
    Thank you for both your comments Pengwin7! They are soo helpful! Thanks for that www.fantasyhockeygeek.com too. I will use it to prepare for my draft.
    btw we are using also blocks and FOW other than hits
    You are right about the TSN rankings. but when you compare RW7 TO LW7 I guess I can trust only my knowedge about the 2 players and not turst TSN just because they ranked Hornvist above Kessel.
    Im sure you know it best - its also about balance when you structure your team. Player like Hornvist may not help in points category but he can give you balance in hits blocks sog... its about team needs

I notice in previous years too that TSN are ranking high players with positive +- for example player 1 may have better numbers in every single category but 1! They may be close in goals,assists,hits,pim,blocks in favor of player 1 but player 2 has +20 rating and players 1 has -3 rating. So player 2 will be higher! So when we look at those ranking we need to take in consideratin this
    Devils & Predators fan