Thread: Dobber Rankings...POINTS ONLY question

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Dobber Rankings...POINTS ONLY question

Just read Sept. 12 Ramblings http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-r...egies-sept-13/

and in it the author Ian Gooding says "Dobber rankings are for points only leagues".

What does "points only" mean? Can someone clarify please. Are we talking about goals and assists only? Or are there some other points involved in these ratings as well?

My pool is points only...goal/1, assist 1. Would these rankings be a good guide for a pool like this?????

Thanks for clarifying. Appreciate it.

The Magnificent One

Default Re: Dobber Rankings...POINTS ONLY question

Yes - points only normally means a goal and an assist are weighted equally and the league has no other categories which are counted.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Veteran

A lot of leagues have different 'scoring categories" which could include PP goals, SH goals, hits, blocks, anything really. "Points only" is what you are looking for...goals and assists.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yes POINTS ONLY is usually when 1 goal = 1 point and 1 assist = 1 point.
    The Dobber Fantasy Guide (and draftsheet) ranks players and give you projections for POINTS ONLY. Great tool for your league.
    In the top 300 ranking, this is also for POINTS ONLY, but Dobber takes other considerations (age, depth chart, quality of team, injury risk...) to create a "keeper or trade value" for each player. A player ranked 90th may post less points than the player ranked 120th this year, but is overall value (trade value, keeper value) is higher.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Padawan

I played a points only league that converted to multi cat, when it was points only we used G A TP SHP PPP SOG HT.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    I played a points only league that converted to multi cat, when it was points only we used G A TP SHP PPP SOG HT.
    That wasn't points only, that was fantasy points. Points only means the P category and that's all.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for the replies guys.
    The Fantasy Guide is probably better for me than top 300 rankings as this is a non keeper 1 year pool???

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Yes POINTS ONLY is usually when 1 goal = 1 point and 1 assist = 1 point.
    The Dobber Fantasy Guide (and draftsheet) ranks players and give you projections for POINTS ONLY. Great tool for your league.
    In the top 300 ranking, this is also for POINTS ONLY, but Dobber takes other considerations (age, depth chart, quality of team, injury risk...) to create a "keeper or trade value" for each player. A player ranked 90th may post less points than the player ranked 120th this year, but is overall value (trade value, keeper value) is higher.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    The Fantasy Guide is probably better for me than top 300 rankings as this is a non keeper 1 year pool???
    The rankings lists - for all skaters, D-men, prospects, and goalies - are more useful as a kind of quick reference to compare the value of different players. It shouldn't really be taken as gospel but more of a general ranking of player's values within a 'keeper' context.
    The fantasy guide is a more comprehensive resource, and it provides points projections for the upcoming season, yes.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    With the guide, you get a draft list that is perfect for your league -- it ranks players for the upcoming season, is updated often leading up to drafts (which is a lot better than any magazine you'll get), and it has a column for sleepers that hints at guys that have more upside than projected. I think you might be able to buy the draft list separately (but the guide is awesome and an enjoyable read to go along with it).
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev