Thread: Ovechkin and the Olympics

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Ovechkin and the Olympics

Forgive me if this has been discussed too many times, but we've heard for over a year that Ovechkin desperately wants to attend the Olympics. The Caps have even supported Ovechkin's desires and haven't made any statements saying he definitely will not go.

Obviously the IOC will most likely prevent NHL players from attending which will answer this question for us, but since there is still talk about this and drafts are going on, will this make you pass on Ovechkin if he falls to you? I know his stats dropped last year, but in a HITS and SHOTS league, Ovechkin is still a top tier player.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Ovechkin and the Olympics

I also find this question worth asking. I don't know if the IOC will prevent NHL players from coming ; we might not hear the answer until most fantasy leagues have drafted.

I think what I would do in your league setup is to place players in tiers. Put Ovechkin at the bottom of that tier: you won't overreach for him yourself instead of equally productive players + you don't pass on him when he's the best player available.

Sorry if its not a clear answer, hope it helps!
    (My own opinion: I hope they prevent NHL players from participating and I think I would draft Ovy as such, but I would take into account that risk with the suggestion I just made to you)
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

The Great One

Default Re: Ovechkin and the Olympics

I don't think the Olympics will have much impact on Ovie's draft position; I wouldn't downgrade him for it myself.