Thread: One-Year Keepers Help

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default One-Year Keepers Help

My league allows managers to keep a maximum of 2 players. In order to keep a player you forfeit a draft pick 2 rounds better than where the player was drafted the previous year, keepers can only be kept for 1 season.

So guys drafted rounds 1&2 can't be kept and rounds 3-4 require a 1st/2nd rounder so likely are not kept. The real value is finding guys who were drafted quite late and had killer seasons because the cost to keep them is quite low.

I'm fully committed to keeping Cam Talbot who was drafted in the 16th round, paying a 14th rounder. A 14th rounder likely won't survive the season on my roster.

For my 2nd keeper I have a few options:
    1. Cam Atkinson - drafted in the 14th, keeper in the 12th.
    2. Dougie Hamilton- drafted in the 12th, keeper in the 10th.
    3. Chris Kreider -drafted in the 11th, keeper in the 9th.
    4. Jack Eichel - drafted in the 4th, keeper in the 2nd.

I do not currently know the draft order but will before I have to declare my 2nd keeper.

My first thought was to keep Cam Atkinson who had a killer season and pay very little for him. He picks up PPP and G which are the stats I like to grab early on. After looking at last season and projections Dougie Hamilton is also a sexy option, he quietly put up some solid numbers and could have another solid season. Krieder is also intriguing he has great all round stats but I prefer Atkinson I think. Eichel is kind of a wildcard, he's expensive to keep in the 2nd and if I draft late 1st (early 2nd) I may be able to snag him in the 2nd. If I draft 1-3 (22-24 in the 2nd) he could be of solid value.

Thoughts?
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: One-Year Keepers Help

i like Hammy here..a 10th rnd pick isn't much IMO
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

The Great One

I was all set to say Hamilton would be the easy choice, but it looks like you don't count SOG. That lowers his value enough to where I think Eichel becomes the choice. That being said, I think Hamilton would still be a very solid pick - way more so than Atkinson or Kreider.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Stud

Do you think you can get better a better player than Eichel in the second round (if you keep your second round pick)? He'd be my pick, followed by Hamilton.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Chili con Carne View Post
    Do you think you can get better a better player than Eichel in the second round (if you keep your second round pick)? He'd be my pick, followed by Hamilton.
    I won't be able to get a "better" player than Eichel but the difference between Eichel-->2nd round pick is smaller thank Hamilton-->10th rounder if that makes sense.
    the 2nd will include some of: Wheeler, Getzlaf, Tarasenko, Pavelski... the last 2 picks in the 2nd last were Gaudreau and Lucic.

Again if I draft 1st a McDavid-Eichel 1/2 could be deadly but I'm leaning towards keeping Hamilton as my 2nd keeper.
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I won't be able to get a "better" player than Eichel but the difference between Eichel-->2nd round pick is smaller thank Hamilton-->10th rounder if that makes sense.
    the 2nd will include some of: Wheeler, Getzlaf, Tarasenko, Pavelski... the last 2 picks in the 2nd last were Gaudreau and Lucic.

Again if I draft 1st a McDavid-Eichel 1/2 could be deadly but I'm leaning towards keeping Hamilton as my 2nd keeper.
    Makes total sense. I am personally not sold on Hamilton as much as some but wouldn't blame you for keeping him at the expense of a 10th only.

Dobber Sports Superstar

So draft position has been decided I'm drafting 2nd overall which gives me the 23rd pick in the 2nd round (snake draft).
    Also, Scheifele, Marchand and Draisaitl (as are Laine and Matthews) are all keepers so bumps who goes where in 1st and 2nd rounds.

I'm torn on keeping Eichel, I expect him to do great things this year and locking in a pair of Crosby/Eichel would be awesome. Looking at last years 2nd round picks 20-24 were: Wheeler, Lucic, Subban, Gaudreau.
    There is a huge difference between 13-18 and 19-24 IMO. I realise that Centre is the deepest position but I really like the upside of that pair. Also with Util My goal is usually to focus G/PPP early and Crosby/Eichel is a deadly pair in that regard.

Man the more I type the more I want to make this move........
    Please feel free to tell me if it's a bad idea.
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think the trio of Atkinson-Panarin-Wennberg will be gold this year. RW's as good as Atkinson are difficult to find. Dougie has the pedigree but he's in that log-jam of Dmen who are in that Tier 2 category.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think you keep Eichel: because its the #23.
    I see Eichel as about a 12-18 range pick in this format.

With the UTIL, this is essentially a 9F/4D league, which means that D don't command high value.
    So I think you go hard on pure points, which is where Eichel excels. (though SOG would be awesome)

Kreider & Atkinson are solid players... but the value in the 60th-120th overall range of players is not that far in differential.

If you are looking at round 2/9 combination, what do you forecast better:
    Eichel + 9th round pick
    2nd round + Kreider

That's your apples-to-apples.
    Ultimately, with the flexibility of extra center in UTIL, I think you keep Eichel (and because its 23rd - if it were <18, I'd probably hedge to Kreider).
    Atkinson was awesome last year, but if CBJ doesn't click... there'll be line shuffling... and I worry about Atkinson's production if he's off line 1 and PP1 - which could happen at some point in season.