Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pick-em Pool

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Pick-em Pool

Group # 44905
    Psassword - Dobber

Yahoo pick'em against the spread.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Pick-em Pool

So as someone who never does sports betting and a complete newbie to pick em, care to give me a quick rundown on the gist of it?

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    So as someone who never does sports betting and a complete newbie to pick em, care to give me a quick rundown on the gist of it?
    You pick every game every week using the spread. Say Buffalo is favoured by 7.5 points. You choose them, and the Bills win by six points. You lose the game because the Bills didn't win by at least eight.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Pick'em are usually just pick the winner of the game, but Yahoo can add a little twist where you have to pick against the spread.

The 'spread' is the vegas odds of what a team is favoured to win by.

Lets take an example. Tonight's Game

Favorite Underdog Spread

New England Kansas City 8.5

This is basically saying New England is favoured to win by 8.5 points.

a) if you think New England will win by 8.5 points or more then you would pick New England.
    b) if you think Kansas City will win OR will lose by less than 8.5 points you would pick Kansas.

The benefit of this kind of system is that it makes every game closer to equal in difficulty level to pick.

Example:

Top team vs bottom team Pittsburgh is favoured by 10 points over Cleveland. In a regular pick em it is easy to pick Pittsburgh to win but not as easy to pick them to win by 10 points.

Or two evenly matched teams like Washington and Philly where the spread is 0 and it is considered a true pick'em... pick the winner because there is no spread.

Dobber Sports Icon

Awesome, sound like fun. Count me in

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Group # 44905
    Psassword - Dobber

Yahoo pick'em against the spread.
    Can you confirm if the spread is factored into the result or not? I've played many Pick 'Em Pools on Yahoo and it never was before. Just want to make sure as just because the spread is listed does not necessarily mean it factors into the result (and there is no specification on this in the settings listed that the public can view).

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Can you confirm if the spread is factored into the result or not? I've played many Pick 'Em Pools on Yahoo and it never was before. Just want to make sure as just because the spread is listed does not necessarily mean it factors into the result (and there is no specification on this in the settings listed that the public can view).

There was an option to select against the spread or normal. In the settings it says spread 'Yes'

Last nights game was too much of a blowout by Kansas to confirm this. I know it is different then the other pick em pool I am in in Yahoo. The set up is different. The regular pick em does not have the spread on it.

Dobber Sports Expert

Just wanting to make sure.

Just wanting to make sure.
    Yup totally makes sense. I wanted to make sure... would suck to tell everyone it is... then it end up not being.

Dobber Sports Expert

Yup so it's straight pick winner after looking at the results from yesterday. Spread gas no impact.

Yup so it's straight pick winner after looking at the results from yesterday. Spread gas no impact.
    Can't be. IF you look at my picks... I picked Pittsburgh to clear the spread... and I got a great big red X beside it. if it was straight pick em, I would have picked Pitts and got a green check.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I missed most of this week...but Im iN!

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I missed most of this week...but Im iN!
    Awesome... you won't be that far behind... the leaderboard right now is 5-4-4... this is a lot tougher than i thought.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Awesome... you won't be that far behind... the leaderboard right now is 5-4-4... this is a lot tougher than i thought.
    LOL yuuup. I only got 5 in my own pool on CBS.

Had KC, Clev, LAR, Car and Dallas. Thankfully I got 3 on the late games holy crap.

Dobber Sports Expert

Can't be. IF you look at my picks... I picked Pittsburgh to clear the spread... and I got a great big red X beside it. if it was straight pick em, I would have picked Pitts and got a green check.
    When I look at your pick it has a big green check lol. From what I am seeing, nobody has an incorrect pick lol. This is strange.