Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which young gun to keep?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Which young gun to keep?

Points only, I'm dropping Draisaitl.

Your benchmark here is 10pts per $1m in salary.
    They are all going to be... ABOUT... there.
    Gaudreau for example is at $6.75m - so you say "Do I see him consistently at/over 67.5pts?"
    Forsberg is only $6m... and for me, he's a definite "I can see 60+pts from him yearly."
    You basically want to make your own point projections and salary projections (for Pastrnak, Eichel) for each player... and compare!

Personally...
    I don't see Draisaitl hitting 85pts yearly, as I do expect him to be the long-term C2 of EDM.
    In real NHL hockey, they also pay center-types for their defensive two-way play... and I think Leon has cap built in for that role (which has no actual fantasy-value in points-only).
    He's going to be a very good player - and if he settles in at 70-75pts, he'll still be seen as a Toews/Kopitar-level elite center, but NOT in your points-format, he'll be 10pts short of his cap hit, even if he scores 75pts yearly!!!

Wingers, in real hockey, are pretty much paid simply for point production... so you should get your 10pts/$1m out of them.

Eichel, though, could be the huge wild card.
    If he puts up 90pts this year, like I think he could, then he'll be looking at $10m-$11m per year... and then HE becomes the likely overvalued player!!!

For me, points-per-$

BEST
    65-70pts Forsberg @ $6m.
    65-70pts Gaudreau @ $6.75m. (right at 10pts per $1m)
    60-65pts Pastrnak @ $6.5m (speculating on his long-term cap hit)
    ~90pts Eichel @ $10m (9pts per $1m) *BUT you DO get his VALUE year this year, which is worth keeping him, just for this year's 80+pts on $0.9m!!!
    ~75pts Draisaitl @ $8.5m (8.8pts per $1m)
    WORST

Dobber Sports Ace

In your league format, I'd rank their value as:

Eichel
    Forsberg
    Gaudreau
    Pastrnak
    Draisatl
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Points only, I'm dropping Draisaitl.

Your benchmark here is 10pts per $1m in salary.
    They are all going to be... ABOUT... there.
    Gaudreau for example is at $6.75m - so you say "Do I see him consistently at/over 67.5pts?"
    Forsberg is only $6m... and for me, he's a definite "I can see 60+pts from him yearly."
    You basically want to make your own point projections and salary projections (for Pastrnak, Eichel) for each player... and compare!

Personally...
    I don't see Draisaitl hitting 85pts yearly, as I do expect him to be the long-term C2 of EDM.
    In real NHL hockey, they also pay center-types for their defensive two-way play... and I think Leon has cap built in for that role (which has no actual fantasy-value in points-only).
    He's going to be a very good player - and if he settles in at 70-75pts, he'll still be seen as a Toews/Kopitar-level elite center, but NOT in your points-format, he'll be 10pts short of his cap hit, even if he scores 75pts yearly!!!

Wingers, in real hockey, are pretty much paid simply for point production... so you should get your 10pts/$1m out of them.

Eichel, though, could be the huge wild card.
    If he puts up 90pts this year, like I think he could, then he'll be looking at $10m-$11m per year... and then HE becomes the likely overvalued player!!!

For me, points-per-$

BEST
    65-70pts Forsberg @ $6m.
    65-70pts Gaudreau @ $6.75m. (right at 10pts per $1m)
    60-65pts Pastrnak @ $6.5m (speculating on his long-term cap hit)
    ~90pts Eichel @ $10m (9pts per $1m) *BUT you DO get his VALUE year this year, which is worth keeping him, just for this year's 80+pts on $0.9m!!!
    ~75pts Draisaitl @ $8.5m (8.8pts per $1m)
    WORST
    Very good post here. I agree that Draisaitl is the one with the "worst" contract even though it's not that bad. And I also think Eichel will get $10M+ after ELC, so he will take ownership of that "worst" contract after that. But all that being said, none of these guys have an actually bad contract, so they should have plenty of trade value.

But then again, Pastrnak could get $7.5M which would make his contract maybe worse than Draisaitl's. But I still believe they'll get his number down a bit.