Thread: 8 million over the cap, who do I drop?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default 8 million over the cap, who do I drop?

Hi all,
    I am about 8 million over our cap, and I have to make space on my farm by bringing up a couple of players (team in sig). With that said, my thoughts are to drop:

Pickard (1 million)
    Holden (1.65 million)
    Byron (1.167 million)
    Rieder (2.225 million)
    Hanzel (4.75 million)
    Perron (3.75 million)

This would shave 14.5 million off my cap. Then I can bring up Montour and Chabot to leave me 3 spaces on my farm for draft night (we have 3 rounds of entry level draft). With these moves I would have 2.31 million left for a pick up in our supplemental draft. Does this seem reasonable? Would you drop anyone else instead?
    10 team league, 50 player max, Salary Cap
    Dress weekly 3L, 3C, 3R, 3F, 6D, 2G
    Pts for skaters: G and A
    Pts for goalies: W, SO, -pts for GA

Players
    L Kempe Nugent-Hopkins Marchment Van Reimsdyk Gaudreau Hoglander
    C Giroux Zacha Cozens Kopitar Eriksson Ek Trocheck
    R Coyle Pastrnak Konecny
    D Chabot Weegar Gostisbehere Perunovich Theodore Raddysh

G Sorokin Shesterkin Dostal Vasilevskiy

IR: Hamilton

Farm: Lardis Petrov Perreault Howard Cooley Poitras Bourque Sawchyn Pinelli Rossi Graf Lucius Brink Gunler Nazar Tomasino Leonard Zellweger Lamoureux Poirier Gulyayev Broberg Lohrei Thrun Sogaard

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: 8 million over the cap, who do I drop?

i think its good move, its bit bizzare league where u start 20 player and keep 20 on your bench , i would normally suggest dropping one or 2 players with huge salary but in this case i like what you doing.

Dobber Sports Genius

OK... Fun.... [I like getting myself in cap trouble then trying to escape]

First off. Hanzal can be dropped. Toss him over board. In a points only league you don't need to spend $4.75M on an injury prone 3rd line centre.

Now it gets a bit more interesting and you have more options. Your math leads me to believe that you need to cut another $5M(ish). If so, cutting guys like Holden, Pickard, Byron aren't going to do much for you as you have to replace them. The net savings isn't that much.

Looking at your D you have a HUGE contract on the books in Ekblad. I don't think he will ever (I mean ever!) live up to that contract in points only pool. Are you able to trade in your league? If so I would dangle him and take what ever I could get from him.

If you can't trade in your league I would outright drop Ekblad. Bold strokes. If you were unfortunate and paid a heavy price to acquire him then, well, balls. That $7.5M just does not make sense to hold in this set up. Dropping his salary is going to free up even more money than you needs and make you more flexible at your draft.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Great One

Dobber has Chabot at 60 percent likely to make the team and I think that's generous. He has Vrana at 70% (and as a 3rd liner). So you might want to give some thought to that. Also, for points only, Dobber has F. Nielsen ($5.25 million) at 43 points. You are cutting Perron, who is quite a bit cheaper and younger, and projected at 50 points. Something else to think about, I suppose.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Dobber has Chabot at 60 percent likely to make the team and I think that's generous. He has Vrana at 70% (and as a 3rd liner). So you might want to give some thought to that. Also, for points only, Dobber has F. Nielsen ($5.25 million) at 43 points. You are cutting Perron, who is quite a bit cheaper and younger, and projected at 50 points. Something else to think about, I suppose.
    Yup - I though about just cutting Nielson as an option too.

Giving it some second thought, this might be the way to go.

That said. Ekblad is never going to live up to that contract.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Giant

I'd keep Byron and Pickard for those salaries. I'm sure you could easily move Pickard to the Fleury owner early in the season of need be!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Wizard

Hey guys, I'm not seeing Frans Nielsen on OP's signature - I'm just seeing Brock Nelson there. What am I missing?

In a points-only salary cap league, players like Hanzal and Ekblad are easy drops.

Dobber Sports Star

Moses nailed this. Ekblad is toxic in this setup.