Thread: 1st Round pick help

Dobber Sports Ace

Default 1st Round pick help

League in sig, and goalies always make up the entire first round and half of the second except when there's a McDavid-like NHL draft that Summer prior.

I pick 7th overall and I don't have a 2nd round pick (ugh). I can't afford to screw up my first goalie selection and I am requesting help because I am terrible with goalies (not sure why - I had Price when Halak was killing him, Had Rask when TT stole the show, kept Allen and took Schneider and Anderson in draft last year... I made a drastic maneuver to try and secure a very good keeper in Holtby, and I'm already getting nervous with the loss of some blueliners in Washington). So that's where I'm at. Here's how I rank the top available goalies given my league settings (I have also included a review of the Same Night Tool for B2Bs and playoff schedule strength):

Rask
    Bishop
    Vasilevskiy
    Lundqvist
    Gibson
    Allen
    Smith
    Rinne
    Lehner
    Schneider
    Anderson
    Darling
    Fleury
    Elliott
    Raanta
    Greiss
    Mason
    Reimer
    Varlamov

Sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping you can add another set of eyes on my ranking to be sure I'm not missing something. I'm not against having Smith on Calgary should the picks go as I have them, but I really hope to land one of the top 6 on this list.

Any thoughts appreciated... I will need to snag a 3rd goalie mid to late in the draft that I hope GMs will forget about (someone like Varly, Raanta, Mason or Elliott. Has anyone drafted yet and if so, what goalies are being left as "scraps"?

Thanks all!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: 1st Round pick help

First of all... trade Holtby (I own him and I don't need your bad luck screwing that up )

But in all seriousness, your rankings are pretty close. There is very little that separates the middle tier guys right now so you really have to look situationally at the strength of their teams and who is pushing them. I would probably swap Rask and Bishop at the top. I would also drop Lundy and Smith down a few spots myself.

If you are thinking that you will get the 7th guy in your rankings, I think you should be able to land someone like Lundy, Schneider, Lehner, Rinne or Smith
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Master

If you are aiming at the guys you expect to be available around the 7th pick, I look to take Anderson, Smith whose Flames are better than the Yotes, Lehner and the improved Sabres and Allen.

The forgotten scraps you mentioned should include Elliott, a solid if not flashy netminder, and Varlamov who has nobody behind him pushing for his spot anymore.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Icon

there are alot of fwds that will be on teh market, so id expect to see some really good tendys available at 7th, maybe even Rask or Bishop / Vas. too bad you dont have a 2nd round pick, thats where i'd be taking a G-man.

in any regard, id take the BGA, as you have them ranked, although Lundy maybe down a notch or two ahead of Smith and behind Allen
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Superstar

Grab your goalie first - just have to see who is left whenb it is your pick - can't go wrong Rask, Bishop, Vasilevskiy, Lundqvist, Gibson, Allen, Smith with any of these guys and secure your goalltending.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    there are alot of fwds that will be on teh market, so id expect to see some really good tendys available at 7th, maybe even Rask or Bishop / Vas. too bad you dont have a 2nd round pick, thats where i'd be taking a G-man.

in any regard, id take the BGA, as you have them ranked, although Lundy maybe down a notch or two ahead of Smith and behind Allen
    Good stuff!

I bumped the King up once I saw who his back up was... I also knock Allen because during my playoffs he has some B2Bs I don't want to deal with.

Thank you!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)