Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Positive stuff to share in the face of the cancer battle

I...am your father.

Default Positive stuff to share in the face of the cancer battle

Hi everyone, sorry for not checking in for awhile. I've been posting public updates on Facebook and even one on the main site.

My first 35 day stint in hospital was a little rough, with everything you'd expect. I was then released on August 17th not because I was ready - but because the doctor felt I should spend time with my family before going back in the hospital for the transplant. I was showing signs that I would 'start' getting ready (i.e. my blood counts were start to eke back upwards) so the doc let me go. However, the day before release he did a lumbar puncture, which is a needle in the spine to withdraw fluid. This didn't hurt as much as it sounds. But man, did it kill my neck. The needle was lower spine yet for some reason my neck was killing me for five days. I had to lie prone. So I go home for six days and four of those days I'm unable to sit up for more than 20 minutes (and even then, it was only the fourth day I could do that). So much for a fun time at home. I went the chiropractor on the second day and he fixed me up - but it only lasted for the night. I went back the next morning and his same tricks didn't work. So I was stuck.

But anyway, I got in two good days and during those two days I was able to write the three articles for the Fantasy Guide, tie up some loose ends with the writers, get some things set up personally and for the website.

On August 24th I went back into the hospital. Received LOTS of positive news. Check this out:

- First of all - huge window and private room. I must have the best room at PMH. Man, this room is sweet. Even has an exercise machine to help me rebuild strength, energy and constitution

- Second, I got two day passes for the 25th and 26th! Chemo those days were very light and my blood counts were still up so I could go home for 10 hours each of those days. On the 26th I was able to watch my daughter play her last baseball game and then my other daughter play her last soccer game. Got a sunburn but oh well!

- Third, it turns out that I won't be here until mid-October. Turns out I could be out of here BEFORE October even starts! So chop two weeks off my expected time in here.

So I got through five days of chemo, including 11 hours of it on Monday, and radiation - and there was little nausea and no vomiting. Much better than my first stint.

August 30 I got my stem cells. It was painless. Just like getting a blood transfusion (of which I've had, and will get - many). Took about an hour to get in my body, but I now have my donor's stem cells in my body looking to turn into bone marrow.

My appetite is strong, I'm feeling good, I was even on the exercise bike for 10 minutes (going very easy) yesterday and today. Feeling confident!

It will take me 4-6 months to get my lung capacity back, and to get the energy to do things normal. But I'll work hard. Right now taking a leak and brushing my teeth has me sitting down afterwards panting.

Bottom line is - you'll be seeing more of me, and sooner. Things are just going very well. All we can do now is wait. It will be a few months before we see if the cancer comes back and a couple of years before we can say it's been beat. No sense waiting - may as well focus on getting stronger and living life, right?

Thank you for your support, my friends.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Positive stuff to share in the face of the cancer battle

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    - Third, it turns out that I won't be here until mid-October. Turns out I could be out of here BEFORE October even starts! So chop two weeks off my expected time in here.
    So you'll be ready for fantasy hockey draft season, eh?
    Party on Garth!
    Keep fighting bud! The hockey world misses you!

Left: ericdaoust. Right: dobber. In their younger days at St.Wayne's Hockey Academy, circa 1999.

Dobber Sports Icon

Awesome news Dobber! If anyone can win the Ultimate Keeper League... it's you! And you've got Dobber Nation fully behind you. We're all pulling for you man! Expecting more good news in the near future!
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

The Wolverine

Great news! Keep fighting and you have our support!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Awesome update! Keep on keeping on Dobber!

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Titan

Great news all around, and maybe the best thing is that your spirits are still high! That is one of the most important things in a situation like this. Amazing to see that it hasn't been able to bring you down!
    Keep fighting, we're all behind you.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Monster

Thanks for the update Darryl. Great to hear some positive news

The Magnificent One

Great to hear from you, and even better given the news!

What's the link to the facebook update page?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Superstar

That's awesome to hear. Brightens my day, so you're still managing to lift others while we should be doing all the lifting for you right now!

The Great One

Great news!

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Great to hear from you, and even better given the news!

What's the link to the facebook update page?
    My personal facebook, just look up darryl dobbs
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Superstar

Excellent news! Keep the fight strong Dobber.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Stud

Awesome news Dobber! Sounds like Team Dobber is up 1-0 in the Final - and on the road to boot! Keep positive - we are all rooting for you to kick the cancer's ass!!!!
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Deity

Fantastic news for sure. You sure had plenty of positive vibes being sent your way.

Thank you for the update and keep trucking. You're doing great! There's nothing more that I love to hear is someone giving cancer the middle finger and climbing above it.

stf,small,600x600-c,0,0,1000,1000.jpg
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Great to hear this Darryl. Very exciting news.