Thread: Drew Brees

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Drew Brees

I'm in a dynasty league, and my team is pretty solid overall. I think a top QB away from being a real front running contender. So I'm in discussions with the Brees owner, but he's (understandably) holding on pretty tight.

I don't mind paying a price for desirable assets. But I'm also trying to be somewhat realistic here about what I'm buying given that age is, in fact, more than a number (at least in pro sports).

So my question is:

Is Brees more like Brady or Peyton? That is, at 38 years old, do you see Brees having a couple more years left of top 5'ish production, or is the triple lindy cliff dive imminent?
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Drew Brees

I prefer to look at how many starting years players have in the NFL as opposed to their actual age. It seems like the QB's that have had a long run tend to fall off around year 17. Peyton Manning fell off a cliff halfway through his 17th season, Favre had ups and downs along the way but hit the wall year 18, Brady is entering his 17th season (will he buck the trend?).

Brees is entering his 16th season and doesn't have a guaranteed contract for next season. At least Im pretty sure theres an opt out after this season. IF you're going all in for a win this year, I say make it happen. Otherwise, find a streaming duo and ride them this season.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    I prefer to look at how many starting years players have in the NFL as opposed to their actual age. It seems like the QB's that have had a long run tend to fall off around year 17. Peyton Manning fell off a cliff halfway through his 17th season, Favre had ups and downs along the way but hit the wall year 18, Brady is entering his 17th season (will he buck the trend?).

Brees is entering his 16th season and doesn't have a guaranteed contract for next season. At least Im pretty sure theres an opt out after this season. IF you're going all in for a win this year, I say make it happen. Otherwise, find a streaming duo and ride them this season.
    I agree with this strategy. Who did you plan on offering though?

Dobber Sports Titan

Peyton had neck surgery and couldn’t throw over 20yards without the look of pain on his face. Brees hasn’t shown any age related regression.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I agree with this strategy. Who did you plan on offering though?
    Thinking of offering Allen Robinson straight up. A little context:

--My WRs are solid (Robinson is my #4; we start 3).
    --The other GM is weak at WR (Crowder is his best).
    --My current starting QB is Stafford (have had him since rookie year; like him, but he's inconsistent and I'd rather him as a backup for a couple years to take real runs at it now)
    --The other GM is carrying 3 QBs (Brees, Dak and Dalton), so he has the ability to deal one to upgrade elsewhere (and, perhaps selfishly, I think he'd be wise to hang onto Dak and deal Brees given that his team is a few years away realistically).

We've been back and forth with initial bid and ask, both of which were non-starters so not really worth rehashing. So I'm really searching for a middle ground that can make sense for both of us.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Nobody is like Peyton. That decline was the result of multiple neck surgeries coupled with the nerves in his arm not fully regenerating. I have no concerns about Brees and Brady suffering a similar decline. I mean both older QBs will certainly decline, but it won't be a cliff like Peyton's was.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Nobody is like Peyton. That decline was the result of multiple neck surgeries coupled with the nerves in his arm not fully regenerating. I have no concerns about Brees and Brady suffering a similar decline. I mean both older QBs will certainly decline, but it won't be a cliff like Peyton's was.
    Who would you prefer:

Brees, Carr or Mariotta? Is Brees' present advantage enough to justify the massive age difference?

(Edit: just to remove a variable, I note that there's zero chance of this league folding anytime soon which I know is sometimes a concern in these situations. It's a 14-team league comprised of good friends that we've had going strong since 2001.)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

For next season? Brees.

But I probably wouldn't trade Marigoata for Brees.

I don't think Carr is in the same conversation, in fantasy or in real life.

I would trade Carr for Brees.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    For next season? Brees.

But I probably wouldn't trade Marigoata for Brees.

I don't think Carr is in the same conversation, in fantasy or in real life.

I would trade Carr for Brees.
    I mostly Agree. Keep hearing Carr's name thrown around as a top-10 QB but that highly overrating him. Mariota-Brees is a wash solely on the fact its a dynasty league and Mariota should be a stud down the road (think people need to temper their high-end expectations for this season). If you're a QB shy of pushing to win it all, I would move Mariota for Brees and push all my chips in to go for the title. Brees has plenty left in the tank that he's still got high trade value next season (don't get tied up with his contract situation just yet).