Thread: card hacked , ouch

Dobber Sports Master

Default card hacked , ouch

I'd love to know how a credit card kept tucked away for only rainy day purposes gets hacked .I havent used this thing in close to 2 years & only used it one time for an online purchase when my regular card wasnt handy .

someone in california bought a gym membership ''on me'' with numerous 10$ monthly passes ; gheezus.

bank was good about it , froze the card , will cover the fraud/investigate it etc...

I hope it ends there .

anyone else ever get hacked ?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: card hacked , ouch

Had someone buy airline tickets between two European countries from my card before. I live in Western Canada. I contacted my CC co. and they quickly cancelled the purchase. Not sure how my card number made it half way around the world, perhaps manual data entry error? Perhaps internet hack.

Glad you got it fixed. Most disputes seem to be easy to resolve from what I hear, but they are denying disputes when PIN verified purchases are made.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Yup. Happened to me twice. But the credit card company nailed it both times. Violating? Yes. But didn't really impact me.

Dobber Sports Padawan

One thing I noticed is that Canadian banks no longer request / require that you inform them when traveling for fraud prevention. This leads me to believe improved technology/methods combined with insurance has allowed for this change.

Regarding your card, UID shielding is starting to become a big deal from wallet and bag designers. I've seen documentaries where a guy walks down a busy sidewalk with some equipment in his pockets / in a backpack and come out the other side with a handful of peoples CC info he was able to detect from the UID chip on their cards in the wallets and purses.

Dobber Sports Master

My bank called me about two years ago to ask about some questionable charges made on my MasterCard. The first couple were Christmas purchases we had made, and were completely ours. A few hundred dollars each. Nothing too serious.

Then they asked about the 4800$ online purchase from a fashion website. Nope, not ours. I hadn't even heard of the website they were talking about. The lady from the bank then said: "so the 1800$ purchase from the same website two days later wasn't yours either then?"

NO!!!! Over 6K in purchases from a fashion website. I figured Kim Kardashian had stolen my identity.

Freaked me out a bit, but they froze our cards, sent us new ones, and we haven't had an issue since. {Knocking on wood as I speak}

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Magnificent One

I did for the first time recently, and it was a chip card to boot. My CC company noticed it fast, and all was forgiven. But it still left me feeling kind of sick to my stomach.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

My guess is they used your info somehow, saw this credit card that is NEVER used, assumed it wasn't going to be checked often, and hacked that one.

The fact it wasn't used is prolly why it was targeted.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I'd love to know how a credit card kept tucked away for only rainy day purposes gets hacked .I havent used this thing in close to 2 years & only used it one time for an online purchase when my regular card wasnt handy .

someone in california bought a gym membership ''on me'' with numerous 10$ monthly passes ; gheezus.

bank was good about it , froze the card , will cover the fraud/investigate it etc...

I hope it ends there .

anyone else ever get hacked ?
    This begs the question, which online site were you using? A p0rn site? LOL

I've had my credit card hacked more than once, and also my debit card (which is far, far, far, FAR scarier). But each time, the bank made me whole.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I've only had my card 'hacked' when I didn't have the money for something I REALLY wanted...

(I kid)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    This begs the question, which online site were you using? A p0rn site? LOL

I've had my credit card hacked more than once, and also my debit card (which is far, far, far, FAR scarier). But each time, the bank made me whole.
    no sir , it was only used maybe 3-4 times over the span of 3-4 years otherwise tucked away in a safe place as a rainy day card while another ''awards type card'' is used heavily for everyday stuff / paid off weekly. Therefore never paying interest and I have every ''text alert'' possible setup to warn of any fraud asap on it .

I dont even keep my debit card on me unless I'm travelling out of town ; its tucked away too .

The Great One

I'd take a closer look at the web sites you visited, as your case does seem strange...

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    no sir , it was only used maybe 3-4 times over the span of 3-4 years otherwise tucked away in a safe place as a rainy day card while another ''awards type card'' is used heavily for everyday stuff / paid off weekly. Therefore never paying interest and I have every ''text alert'' possible setup to warn of any fraud asap on it .

I dont even keep my debit card on me unless I'm travelling out of town ; its tucked away too .
    I'd look at where you've made purchases with it in the past and then cross search for security breaches of those companies. I mean, Trump Hotels had a massive breach months ago where thousands of patron's personal information including CC info was compromised.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I'd look at where you've made purchases with it in the past and then cross search for security breaches of those companies. I mean, Trump Hotels had a massive breach months ago where thousands of patron's personal information including CC info was compromised.
    amazon.ca is only site I had used the card for an online purchase nearly 2 years ago .

Dobber Sports Jedi

Dobber Sports Master

thanks for heads up , maybe it was my amazon account.

I tightened the screws that were already pretty tight on my online personal info ; not much you can do if hackers get the upper hand though .