Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticats Hire Art Briles. CFL steps in and says No.

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Ticats Hire Art Briles. CFL steps in and says No.

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...e85820432.html

"If anything, blaming the coach and the university feels like a misdirection play: The focus should be on punishing the criminals."

"All the problems at Baylor are being laid at the feet of the institution, its leaders and the football program, and, yes, they bear some responsibility. But the ultimate blame belongs squarely on the shoulders of the athletes who committed these horrible crimes."

Exactly. ^
    I'm pretty confident in not defending a facilitator of rape and domestic abuse in the interest of winning football games, but hey, if those aren't actions that bother you then you do you.

Society certainly isn't going to look back on MY actions with disgust.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Withe everything mentioned in the SI article, how is it that Briles is not facing criminal charges for at the very least, being an accessory to the assaults or for having created the conditions permitting them?
    He's not facing criminal charges because there is zero evidence to suggest he did anything criminal.
    And if people don't believe in the presumption of innocence anymore (and therefore will ignore his statement that I posted) do some research and you will eventually find out that this guy has plenty of people willing to vouch for his character.

He was fired from Baylor for PR reasons. Same reason the Ticats were forced to change their minds about hiring him.
    Because the uninformed public goes on social media and makes misleading statements based on emotion and fear... rather than sticking to facts.

Dobber Sports Monster

Lots of people willing to vouch for Sandusky and Paterno too.

You'd have to have a child-like level of naivety if you think a head coach at a major football school wouldn't know this was happening beneath him.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I'm pretty confident in not defending a facilitator of rape and domestic abuse in the interest of winning football games, but hey, if those aren't actions that bother you then you do you.

Society certainly isn't going to look back on MY actions with disgust.
    Nor mine. Unless they are uninformed and/or letting their emotions cloud their judgment.
    Like I said before, only criminals should be treated like criminals. Art Briles is not one of them, and I'll continue to defend him unless new facts come to light.

Dobber Sports Monster

Lol

Dobber Sports Monster

Like I said.

You'd have to have a child-like level of naivety

Dobber Sports Expert

He's not facing criminal charges because there is zero evidence to suggest he did anything criminal.
    And if people don't believe in the presumption of innocence anymore (and therefore will ignore his statement that I posted) do some research and you will eventually find out that this guy has plenty of people willing to vouch for his character.

He was fired from Baylor for PR reasons. Same reason the Ticats were forced to change their minds about hiring him.
    Because the uninformed public goes on social media and makes misleading statements based on emotion and fear... rather than sticking to facts.
    Are you related to Art Briles? Why are you defending him so hard? You really think he didn't know what was going on with his players? He brought a bunch of terrible human beings to a college campus in order to win football games and we can all see the results of that.

There's a reason why he cannot get another college football coaching job even though he was a very successful coach. And just about everyone gets a second chance at coaching college sports if you are a winner.
    12 Team, 50 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- Krejci, Little, Thornton, Galyenchuk, Hanzal, Coyle
    RW- Simmonds, Stone, Vorachek, Toffoli, Wilson, Abelkader, Pomminville
    LW- Tatar, Neal, Johansson, Roussel, Sharp
    D- Burns, Ristolainen, Giordano, Barrie, Leddy, Niskanen, Hamonic, Demers
    G- Talbot, Andersen, Lundqvist, Schneider

Farm- Demko, Shestorkin, Soderstrom, McAvoy, Heiskanen, Fox, Erikson EK, CWhite, LBrown, Valimaki, Bear, CJones, Tufte

Dobber Sports Monster

Nor mine. Unless they are uninformed and/or letting their emotions cloud their judgment.
    Like I said before, only criminals should be treated like criminals. Art Briles is not one of them, and I'll continue to defend him unless new facts come to light.
    There is evidence he covered up domestic abuse and gang rape. Thinking like this allows bad people to perpetuate rape culture. "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't work very well when court actionable proof is hard to produce. There's enough evidence of his involvement that he doesn't deserve any benefit of doubt or defense.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Are you related to Art Briles? Why are you defending him so hard? You really think he didn't know what was going on with his players? He brought a bunch of terrible human beings to a college campus in order to win football games and we can all see the results of that.

There's a reason why he cannot get another college football coaching job even though he was a very successful coach. And just about everyone gets a second chance at coaching college sports if you are a winner.
    I'm defending him because we don't know what happened, and it's pompous to suggest otherwise. People seem to believe they know everything under the sun, when everything they learn about stories like this is heavily distorted by a grossly left-leaning media.

You don't find it strange that nobody at Baylor has come forward and said "Briles knew." I find that strange. I don't trust the media and their biased coverage - I prefer to think for myself. I'll say it again... no facts have come to light which suggest Briles did anything criminal.

Dobber Sports Expert

There is evidence he covered up domestic abuse and gang rape. Thinking like this allows bad people to perpetuate rape culture. "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't work very well when court actionable proof is hard to produce. There's enough evidence of his involvement that he doesn't deserve any benefit of doubt or defense.
    There is no evidence that he covered up anything.
    There is no rape culture.

Dobber Sports Monster

The same Art Briles who, while maintaining he has done nothing wrong, nevertheless was the head man at a football program that, by Baylor’s own admission, saw at least 19 players accused of more than a dozen incidents of sexual assault or domestic assault, including allegations of gang rape, in the five years prior to Briles’ dismissal.

Those numbers have since been dwarfed by a lawsuit alleging 52 sexual assaults, involving 31 players, over a four-year period. That lawsuit is still ongoing, although one former Baylor football player was convicted of multiple sexual assaults, while another was convicted, had that overturned, and is awaiting a new trial.

The Baylor scandal was appalling in the specifics, such as the conclusion by outside investigators that Briles and others in the athletics department had learned of an alleged gang rape involving football players and “failed to take appropriate action” — which meant it wasn’t reported to investigators — and it was appalling in the wider picture, which was that the football team was routinely protected from punishment even as alcohol-fuelled parties were used as a recruiting tool.
    Evidence.

You're on the wrong side of history.

Dobber Sports Monster

Lol. The "left leaning media". For sure. Rape and Domestic Abuse, now a politics issue. Embarrassing. Stop while you're already miles and miles behind, and losing ground.

The Magnificent One

It's a he said she said thing.

One thing I don't understand is if you're a victim and you go to the school or police for help how is this conversation not recorded in some way. It's 2017 for ****s sake.

Dobber Sports Monster

I promise society will look back on these actions of yours with disgust.

Dobber Sports Sage

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_...lleged-victims

Details have finally emerged from the series of sexual assaults involving the Baylor football team, and it predictably isn’t pretty.

In a series of interviews with the Wall Street Journal, Baylor regents tell the paper that the scandal involved 17 women who reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players, including four gang rapes, since 2011.

Coach Art Briles was fired in May in the wake of the allegations, but very few details were revealed at the time. Baylor regents, who oversee the university, are now going public with the findings made by Philadelphia law firm Pepper Hamilton LLP. One regent told the paper the series of sexual assaults were “horrifying and painful.”

The revelations included at least one case in which Briles was aware of an alleged incident and not only didn’t tell the police but didn’t alert the school’s judicial affairs staff or the Title IX office in charge of coordinating the school’s response to sexual violence.

“There was a cultural issue there that was putting winning football games above everything else, including our values,” said J. Cary Gray, a lawyer and member of the Baylor board of regents. “We did not have a caring community when it came to these women who reported that they were assaulted. And that is not OK.”