Thread: Varlomov, Mrazek or Markstrom

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Varlomov, Mrazek or Markstrom

Ignoring salary, I have the option to grab one of these as my third (backup) goalie. Which one gets the most starts/wins this year?
    Im leery of all three to be honest, but they are the better options available..none of which will probably be a keeper for me at the start of next year.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Varlomov, Mrazek or Markstrom

I'd be leery of all three too but if I had to choose, I'd go with Markstrom first, then Varlamov and then Mrazek.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

I'd gamble on Mrazek.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Giant

Varlamov will be pushed by Bernier so I'm not really sure on his potential output. Will he bounce back, get injured, lose the crease to a better Bernier??! Too much uncertainty here.

Mrazek on the other side is considered a backup but he can flip the roles if he plays like he did a few years ago. However, Coreau is still in the mix as well...So more uncertainty.

Markstrom has the crease so I like him the most here. But... still a bit of uncertainty nonetheless

My safe pick is Markstrom, my gamble is Varly.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Titan

Markstrom is my pick, then Mrazek.
    I would actually prefer to own Bernier over Varlamov.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Markstrom, I rostered him all last year waiting for the takeover... a bit too early, lol

Mrazek next, but after exposing him in the expansion I'm expecting Howard to be starting most the games.

I'm hands off of Varlamov, the guy is the fantasy equivalent to Russian Roulette

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'd gamble on Mrazek.
    Agreed. Mrazek could go into camp and come out the clear starter. He's got the talent, and now he's got a chip on his shoulder. To me that's worth the risk.

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Markstrom is my pick, then Mrazek.
    I would actually prefer to own Bernier over Varlamov.
    This is my sentiment too.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrodedson99 View Post
    Agreed. Mrazek could go into camp and come out the clear starter. He's got the talent, and now he's got a chip on his shoulder. To me that's worth the risk.
    Careful - the plan in Detroit is seemingly to have Howard start 50-55 games: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nh...ies/502055001/
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Deity

I remember late in the season last year, I tried acquiring Mrazek from a GM in one of my keeper leagues and eventually I pulled back on discussions because he still valued him as the Wings starter and I considered him a backup. Now it's looking more like he could be the 3rd goalie. Glad I pulled back now, all things considered. If Mrazek does ever start to find his way back to the #1 role, I may go back and engage him again, but until then, I am not interested in acquiring "names".

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

So in other words if Jimmy Howard was on this list he'd be the clear front runner?

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Panther View Post
    So in other words if Jimmy Howard was on this list he'd be the clear front runner?
    I might not go so far as to say "clear" frontrunner, but probably the best of the lot all things considered.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Panther View Post
    He'd be right there with Markstrom for me. I'd probably put Howard ahead of Markstrom but those two would be the clear frontrunners for me.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

For me as well, Howard or Markstrom would be my picks. Mrazek wasn't even protected (and Coreau is coming into the mix), Varlamov is not worth the own here imo.
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Careful - the plan in Detroit is seemingly to have Howard start 50-55 games: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nh...ies/502055001/
    The article seems to gloss over this important point:

"There is a risk of losing Coreau on waivers, but if he clears and starts the season in Grand Rapids, the Wings like the position they are in."

Would another team not claim a 6'6" goalie who has just won the Calder Cup? I don't know, but that seems an indication that Mrazek is probably still being shopped around for pennies on the dollar.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry