Thread: Cage Match. Trouba vs Ellis

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Cage Match. Trouba vs Ellis

Wow. Trouba seems to get a pretty low grade in this weeks cage match. I would have though in multi-cat you would have to take Trouba over Ellis but perhaps I am mistaken.

Going out on a limb here, but If I was to make a prediction it would be that Trouba outscores Ellis by a few points this season. Both in the high 30's. Add to that Trouba would crush Ellis in peripherals, and I would much prefer Trouba in a multi-cat league. Straight points, I think it is a wash.

That is just my gut after giving both guys the eye test. I don't have any in depth stats to back it up

I know I would draft Trouba well before Ellis. Now if Ellis was not buried beneath Subban and Josi, it would be a different matter
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Cage Match. Trouba vs Ellis

I agree. I love Trouba and a lot of guys in my dynasty do too.

I just traded traded him for Schultz AND Faulk (then flipped Schultz and Scherbak for Krug)

So basically I was able to move Trouba for Fulk and Krug..

Trouba is only 23, can hit 40 points i believe and gives you easily over 100 hits and blocks. He's a great asset and would much prefer him over Ellis in any format. The only thing I worry about is Morrissey being the young defenseman that takes over that Winnipeg blue line.
    - 12 team, 40 keeper dynasty league
    - Scoring categories for skaters: G, A, PIM, HIT, BLK, STP, FOW, SOG, +/-, DEF, ATOI
    - Scoring categories for goalies: W, SV, SV%, SO, GAA
    - Start 12F, 6D, 3UTIL, 3 min goalie starts a week
    - Starters in bold

Forwards: MacKinnon, Tarasenko, Tavares, Panarin, Johansen, Ehlers, E. Kane, Lee, Huberdeau, Horvat, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Pacioretty, Meier, Fabbri, Sikura, Zacha, Burakovsky, Spooner, Jost, Roussel, Kaprizov, Cirelli, Berglund,

Defense: Pietrangelo, Parayko, Dumba, Faulk, Provorov, Muzzin, McAvoy, Carlson, Nurse, Del Zotto, Borowiecki, Russell

Goalies: Jones, Vasilevskiy, Raanta, Keumper, Remier, Demko

The Great One

Thanks for the post about my cage match column for this week - here's a link for those who want to check it out: http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...-jacob-trouba/.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Very interesting read Rizz! It indeed helps my decision making process for my other post - I must say you make a compelling argument about Trouba being likely to not meet expectations I saw in him.

Too bad both of the D you reviewed are stuck behind a bigger #1 D, Ellis in particular strikes me as a very capable PP handler.
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Icon

Count this guy as another person who would take Trouba over Ellis in any format.

Dobber Sports Deity

In a points only format, I'd go with Ellis. In a multi-cat format, I'd want Trouba. Just my opinion.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Given that they are indeed pretty comparable (in pts only particularly) I'd look at the situations they are in. Both play on pretty dynamic teams with good talent up front. However, Trouba is in a contract year. Additionaly, Trouba plays on a team with several players who are injury prone or perhaps should be (see band air boys Myers and Enstrom - and Big Buff is getting on and plays a very heavy game). Trouba is far more likely to end up QBing the PP or seeing an uptick in ice time. Not so for Ellis. You can't bank on this, but in my mind it gives Trouba the edge. He's not a draft reach candidate. But given the choice in a later round I'm going Trouba.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by cheese_cake View Post
    Very interesting read Rizz! It indeed helps my decision making process for my other post - I must say you make a compelling argument about Trouba being likely to not meet expectations I saw in him.

Too bad both of the D you reviewed are stuck behind a bigger #1 D, Ellis in particular strikes me as a very capable PP handler.
    I was fully prepared to be a believer in Trouba after his superb ending to 2016-17; but the numbers definitely suggest that poolies pump the brakes, at least for now. Your point about them being stuck behind a #1 guy is such an important one in fantasy; too often poolies see the skill and potential and lose sight of the reality of circumstances preventing a player from living up to his true potential, at least for the time being.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It feels like people forget that Trouba managed to snap up ice time once Myers went down for the season. No guarantees he gets the same amount of ice time this year, as long as Myers stays healthy (big if, I know). We already know his PP time is capped, so while I agree he is super-talented I am not fully buying into a break-out yet.