Thread: Zero Running Back Strategy

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Zero Running Back Strategy

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/...-back-strategy
    https://fantasycpr.com/2017/08/22/fa...-running-back/

This is just an example - I just wanted to hear if anyone in the Dobber community has tried this strategy. I haven't...and I highly doubt I will. But what do you think of it?
    NHL 16 Team, Keeper - Keep 22 / 44 (11 NHLers, 11 Prospects)
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 10 Team, Standard Non PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Zero Running Back Strategy

I sort of like it... sort of not.
    I think some teams have unclear RB situations... and I might bite on late-drafting a tandem.
    You could draft 6RB, two on three teams.

Every year, its true that guys will rise out of nowhere as huge value.
    And its true that some elite RB will go down hard with injury.
    And... every year, the guy that has the former will look really good.
    And... every year, the guy that has the latter will look really bad.
    But - it doesn't mean its a good strategy. (IMO)
    We could say the same thing about goalies.

Last year, in one of my leagues, the 1st place guy won with a patchwork of goalies (incl. Budaj).
    I've always used that theory and knew it would work ONE year, then last year I went for a goalie in 1st round (not like me), and turned out it was year I coulda pulled off Peng's BackUpGoalieStrategyToVictory, (still sore).

Like anything else... I think the "keen GM" can have the occasional year where this works - and then he's revered as the novel guy who pulled it off.
    I think the non-keen GM can't pull this off - might get "lucky" (TONS of luck in FF)... but its not a solid strategy for moderate or sub-average fantasy football people - which... includes ME!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

NIPS - No intentional positional strategy.

Easiest way to lose a draft is to be dead set on a draft strategy.

Extreme, but if you're dead set on going zero RB, and draft 12/12, if the first 11 people in your draft choose WR are you going to pass on Johnson and Bell just to go zero RB?

Dobber Sports Padawan

I have done this the last 2 years. Worked in some leagues and not in others.
    Last year in one of my leagues my first 4 picks were DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, Jordan Reed, and Doug Martin.... soo I completely bombed, but I don't think that is reflective of the strategy.

Especially in a PPR league there are many depth options at RB right now. You can easily grab the tandems of Lacy/Rawls, or Martin/Rogers and have a functional starting RB on a productive team. Take a flyer on AP. Grab a PPR guys like Woodhead/Powell/Riddick, etc. Grab a guy like McFadden who may start games 1-6.
    My current strategy for this year is to try to get at least one RB in the first 2 rounds and then fill up the position later in the draft. AFter the 5th round the WR options seriously drop off.

What I find is more important is being 'set' at several positions and being in need at only 1-2 positions. It simplifies waiver management. For instance, I'd rather a few solid options at say QB, TE, WR and only some fill in options at RB, and steal some handcuffs. The idea is that I will be primed, watching liek a hawk for potential RBs and be willing to take a chance on some that appear before others may. RBs emerge due to injury ro other reasons every year. Every single year, like clockwork. I like to be the jugglign all teh handcuffs waiting while my other positions are locked.
    Works for any position though. Some people like to stream QBs or TEs, etc.

Dobber Sports Guru

I was in a fantasy league years ago where a GM couldn't make it. His autodraft was awful and didn't give him an RB until like round 7, and that player was out for the season. GM plucked a couple of guys off the waiver and won it all that year.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I was in a fantasy league years ago where a GM couldn't make it. His autodraft was awful and didn't give him an RB until like round 7, and that player was out for the season. GM plucked a couple of guys off the waiver and won it all that year.
    I've actually seen this a number of times, where the one guy who can't show up autodrafts & sweeps the league. I can't bring myself to try it though haha

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    NIPS - No intentional positional strategy.

Easiest way to lose a draft is to be dead set on a draft strategy.

Extreme, but if you're dead set on going zero RB, and draft 12/12, if the first 11 people in your draft choose WR are you going to pass on Johnson and Bell just to go zero RB?
    I agree with this. You gotta see where you land and how everyone else picks around you. I feel like this holds true for football more than any other sport.....

Dobber Sports Padawan

I have used a zero RB strategy on several occasions and have had great success with it. I play in 5 leagues and have used zero RB and upside down. In the robber mock I tried a zero WR approach.

In ppr leagues, the zero rb makes the most sense. You can take RB's like Woodhead, Gore, Martin, Sims, Coleman, Riddick, your fave in NE, Kamara, Forte and sprinkle in a few of your favourite stashes (depending on roster size) like Marlon Mack and you will have a very competitive team if going WR/TE early and often. For this season zero RB strategy suits the 6,7,8 spots fairly well. Load up on WR's and TE's (winning strategy 2 years ago) while everyone stock piles RB's (which worked great last year)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Ha! Well, I've seen a bunch of articles crop up recently. As rataylor22 said above, you're never going to pass up on a top 3 running back, but if you're in a deep league or even picking later in the draft, I could see this working out.

Have to agree about just being prepared for anything and drafting at all positions
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I sort of like it... sort of not.
    I think some teams have unclear RB situations... and I might bite on late-drafting a tandem.
    You could draft 6RB, two on three teams.

Every year, its true that guys will rise out of nowhere as huge value.
    And its true that some elite RB will go down hard with injury.
    And... every year, the guy that has the former will look really good.
    And... every year, the guy that has the latter will look really bad.
    But - it doesn't mean its a good strategy. (IMO)
    We could say the same thing about goalies.

Last year, in one of my leagues, the 1st place guy won with a patchwork of goalies (incl. Budaj).
    I've always used that theory and knew it would work ONE year, then last year I went for a goalie in 1st round (not like me), and turned out it was year I coulda pulled off Peng's BackUpGoalieStrategyToVictory, (still sore).

Like anything else... I think the "keen GM" can have the occasional year where this works - and then he's revered as the novel guy who pulled it off.
    I think the non-keen GM can't pull this off - might get "lucky" (TONS of luck in FF)... but its not a solid strategy for moderate or sub-average fantasy football people - which... includes ME!
    It's certainly a lot of luck in fantasy football with injuries. And in leagues with limited moves, it makes the draft worth a lot more. Before reading a few of this articles I couldn;t imagine not drafting a running back (ie maybe 2 or 3) in the first 5-6 rounds. Looking at it more and more, especially if you could swindle some good trades, it might not be a bad idea (unless your passing on a star of course).

It would be quite something to grab 2 or 3 of Beckham, Green, Evans and Fournette....a lot of assumptions there. Maybe I'll do a kicker strategy, haha!
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto