Thread: Athanasiou to the KHL?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Athanasiou to the KHL?

Apparently he's thinking about a 1 year deal according to his agent. I'm assuming it's a bargaining ploy but you never know. You hear young russian players threaten to do this but not usually other nationalities.
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Athanasiou to the KHL?

I'm not a "fire Kenny Holland guy"... but, I think a fresh mind in the GM chair would be best for the Wings organization. When the internal laundry starts to be aired it is usually close to the end.

The "FIRE HOLLAND" chants in new arena are going to start the moment the doors open. It's gonna be ugly.

This is going to look tame in comparison: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/g...ouver-canucks/
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Holland definitely put himself between a rock and a hard place giving out big term/money and ntc to ageing players and guys in depth roles. His loyalty to the players will no doubt be his demise. The Redwings used to be viewed as the top team at finding the hidden gems of the drafts because they were 1 of the few teams that would scout over seas extensively but in todays world of internet/social media every team has easier access to studying prospects worldwide. They are in cap hell with a pretty lackluster roster. How does 36yr old Zetterberg lead the team in scoring with 68p and outscore the next highest by 20 points...the next g.m. has his hands full.
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

He received an one-year offer, which is a bit different from "is possibly heading to the KHL instead of Detroit" as the @ProHockeyrumours headlined it. Great bargaining chip for the agent, but I can't imagine it's a serious consideration, particularly since his rights stay with Detroit. I would expect a bluff to be called here. When's the last time this ploy worked?
    Pool #1: 10 Team Keeper League,

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G
    Protection: Any 22 + 2 prospects
    Result 19/20: 3rd

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov
    D: Rielly, Krug, E. Karlsson, S. Jones, D. Toews, Giordano, Severson, Dobson
    P: Podkholzin, Holtz, N. Robertson, Lundell, Lehtonen, Perunovich
    G (W2, OTL1, SO3, G, A): Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Mrazek, Talbot

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Pool #4: Dobber Campbell Pro 2020

Dobber Sports Deity

I think there's a better chance that he gets an offer sheet from another team before he goes to the KHL and I think there's little chance he gets an offer sheet.

Of course it's a negotiating ploy. It's rare that these players actually go through with their "threat".
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

Interesting comments from Kenny Holland today.

https://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/st...59022962225152

Wings GM Ken Holland to Free Press re: RFA Andreas Athanasiou: "We’ve had lots of conversations ....I am not negotiating against the KHL."
    Sounds as if Holland is at a "take it or leave it (literally)" type of place with Athanasiou.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Great article on him in the Athletic
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G

C - J. Hughes
    LW - Panarin
    RW -
    D - Bouchard
    G - Levi

Packer Fan

Dobber Sports Giant

Can the Wings afford to lose him though? They aren't the most offensively-stacked team in the league... then again, AA is no all-star either so I guess it comes down to who flinches first here!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Can the Wings afford to lose him though? They aren't the most offensively-stacked team in the league... then again, AA is no all-star either so I guess it comes down to who flinches first here!
    They're not going anywhere this year with or without him.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

I like Athanasiou, but I have faith in Holland, so if AA flees for greener pastures in the KHL, then he does.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Ya, it's not like he's done a whole lot at this point in his career to warrant this type of holdout.

The Great One

The whole situation is strange, especially all the coverage it's getting.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/