Thread: Who to take at 20th overall?

Dobber Sports Master

Default Who to take at 20th overall?

This is for my points only keeper league in my signature.

I know some guys from my league are on here, but I'm in a quandary over what to do with my 20th overall pick.

Firstly, I know it isn't a great pick, and I really have no idea who may be still available by then, but the real question is this: do I take a forward or goalie? Here are my thoughts.

A goaliebecause I only have the one (Vasilevskiy) and while my league only counts 1 goalie (the highest on your roster), I have seen disaster strike mid-season when your one and only goaltender goes down to injury, and you don't have a backup. Sure, you can grab someone on the wire, but you only count the points they get while on your roster and they may never accumulate enough to overtake your injured goalie's value. For example, hypothetically, if Vas earns 50 points for me, but then gets injured, a backup G already on my roster may have 40 points and he needs only 10 more to surpass Vas and start counting towards my totals. A new goalie, not previously rostered, starts at 0 points and must get a full 50 points before he surpasses Vasilevskiy. Like I said, I have seen it sink a team's championship aspirations when their number one guy goes down with no backup. However, goalies aren't as valuable to many guys in the league come draft day as most teams have at least one already

A forward because while my top 9 are pretty good, there are some guys prone to injury (Stamkos, Okposo, Couture, Toffoli & Stepan have had injuries over the last two seasons). Forwards are easier to find on the wire, but there should be a player or two at 20th overall who can pick up some of the slack if another injury strikes a couple of my guys down. Similar to the goalie situation, but I do already have ten forwards and only the top 9 count. In other words, I have some backup already in place.

All thoughts appreciated, guys. The draft won't be until September, but I like to be prepared.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Who to take at 20th overall?

Could you provide some more examples of who might be available at that point?
    Keep 15 in a 20-team league, I'm assuming there won't be much left to choose from. Any goalie you choose will be for years in the future.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    Could you provide some more examples of who might be available at that point?
    Keep 15 in a 20-team league, I'm assuming there won't be much left to choose from. Any goalie you choose will be for years in the future.
    I don't want to say specifically who I'd be targeting, but I expect to see a handful 20+ win goalies (potentially) and some 40+ point forwards.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In these cases when you can't guess what's going to be there, I think you have to go best player available. In case of tie, I would scoop the goalie.
    Pool #1: 10 Team Keeper League,

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G
    Protection: Any 22 + 2 prospects
    Result 19/20: 3rd

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov
    D: Rielly, Krug, E. Karlsson, S. Jones, D. Toews, Giordano, Severson, Dobson
    P: Podkholzin, Holtz, N. Robertson, Lundell, Lehtonen, Perunovich
    G (W2, OTL1, SO3, G, A): Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Mrazek, Talbot

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Pool #4: Dobber Campbell Pro 2020

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I don't want to say specifically who I'd be targeting, but I expect to see a handful 20+ win goalies (potentially) and some 40+ point forwards.
    Tough to say...can you win now ? Sounds like a depth pick and not someone you'll keep ? To me it depends on how the guys in your league typically draft and who falls to you. When do you pick after 20 ? Might be able to grab one of each......or any opportunity to trade up for a better pick ? You are kind of in no man's land.

Dobber Sports Genius

I would pick a goalie....just to have an option if injury occur to Vasilievsky....what would be the options with your pick in terms of Goalies?
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Giant

I'd say whether it be with this pick or a later one, make sure you grab Budaj. No one will want him but considering you only have 1 G, he is your best bet to protect your crease stats.

With the current pick, go for the BPA. If there's a clear cut starter, then make sure you get him but otherwise, BPA

Feel free to PM me (and others if they want) if you want to keep the list of available guys hidden.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Initiate

I have Dubnyk available if you want?
    16 GMs with 15 Keepers, Pts only, Top 9F,4D,1G count
    2020 & 2013 UFHL Champion

McDavid/Draisatl/Scheifele/Malkin/Marchand/
    Hall/Voracek/Nugent-Hopkins/Bergeron/Giroux

Hedman/Hamilton/Doughty/Ellis/Nurse

Grubauer

Administrator

Given your setup I would wait a bit and grab Budaj to handcuff Vasilevskiy.

Don't over-complicate your mindset though. Just do your homework with your draft priority list and pick the best player available.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Forward for me.
    20-teams, you've got this in play (for counting):

180F
    80D
    20G

I think you cross your fingers that your goalie pans out.
    Hedging bets/investments is great for not getting burned (like, real world investments)... but in fantasy, you take risks to come out on top.
    And if you fail, well, you get rewarded with last place prize, right - early pick next year!
    [Statistical probability on hedging works only if Vas goes down in first 2-months, odds: 10%... risk/reward ain't good there. Whereas you can probably take a 50% probably one of your top 9F goes down in first two months.]

I DO believe you hedge your goalie... but I don't think 16th of 23rd round is right location.
    People aren't (/shouldn't be) touching back-ups on other teams at that spot of draft.
    I think you can wait until 20/21st round to get a hedge-goalie.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Dont bother drafting Budaj, waste of a pick. If i read your scroiung correctly If Vas gets hurt say around the 40 game mark and plays 30 of those, Budaj will have only played 10( only an example) and he would take at least another 20 starts to reach Vas points, at this point you are around the 60 game mark and have 2 goalies with low points. Now if Vas gets hurt long term in the first 10 games or very early in season then you get Budaj on waivers as he will then be valuable.

I imagine in a 20 team league, and 31 starting goalies, that there must be 5 or 6 starters out there to be drafted. I would most def draft a goalie at 20 if one of those starters are available. There must be many forwards available that can help for depth and therefore many more options in later rounds. Just my 2 cents!!