Thread: Start 1 G, max 2

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Start 1 G, max 2

I'm in a 16 team cap league with a start 1 max, 2 goalie roster. I'm curious as to what strategy people use in this situation?
    I currently have Rask at $7m, do I add another top starter like Quick or Rinne around $6m-$7m or a cheap backup like Budaj or Miller in the $1m-$2m range?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Start 1 G, max 2

Others can comment on the cap implications, but for me it comes down to whether you have a category or points league.

In any H2H/roto categoy league I would take 2 great starters. The top 2 goalies in the league if I could. They are the only ones who can contribute to a handful of your categories and they could make or break your entire team. The ratio of goalie categories to skater categories would obviously be a factor.
    Also, if you have random-type stats (SO, GWG, SHG) I would be more willing to try a backup, because in my eyes that makes the league more of a crap shoot so why not take a shot in the dark.

When you factor in cap space, there will obviously be a balance, a sweet spot, where you sacrifice some goalie salary to keep your skaters competative. My goal would be to ride that line to get the best goalie possible.

In a non-category league, point totals, I wouldn't bother with another starter as much. Just get the most point output per salary dollar you spend and dont worry about position as much.