Thread: Start 1 cap strategy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Start 1 cap strategy

I'm in a 16 team cap league with a start 1 max, 2 goalie roster. I'm curious as to what strategy people use in this situation?
    I currently have Rask at $7m, do I have another top starter around $6m-$7m or a backup like Budaj or Miller in the $1m-$2m range?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Start 1 cap strategy

Depends what your cap is, and what the size of the rest of your roster is.
    In a 16 team league with one goalie each, I wouldn't want to be overpaying a goalie though, because there should be lots of good options available.

See if you can swing a Rask deal for someone like Allen, Gibson, Darling, Vasilievski, or maybe even Reimer (I like him to take over in Florida this year).

Of course those wouldn't be just 1 for 1. Extra pieces needed on one side or the other to make things work.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm in a similar league. I used the "Same Night Tool" and realized that my 2nd goalie was going to see 20 starts and my 3rd goalie was going to see 9 starts...

So I traded away my 3rd goalie (Elliott) and picked up the backup of my first goalie (Talbot). So now I have Talbot, Reimer, Brossoit.

Which, using the Same Night Tool, I expect to get EDM's 82 starts + 20 starts from Reimer = 102 starts.

All in all, I'd suggest running with a clear starter (60-65 starts) + a 45-50 start decent goalie (like Reimer) + an optional backup of one or your first two goalies. I think this may give you the optimal # of starts.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Genius

Without getting in to the specifics of your question this sounds like a question that is cover by a blanket answer...

"Goaltending isn't going to win you this league but not having goaltending can assuredly lose you the league."

I like what jdreed3184 said above about the same night tool.

This is the forum thread for 2017-18 same night tool. [ http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...68#post1773668 ]. Don't forget to REP the tool creator rjfisher83 !!
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"