Thread: Zetterberg says he has two years left in the NHL

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Zetterberg says he has two years left in the NHL

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...ire-two-years/

Detroit Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg reportedly plans on forgoing the final two years of his front-loaded contract and retire after the 2018-19 NHL season when he?d be paid a fraction of what he?s earned in recent years.

Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet quotes the veteran forward saying he?ll likely skip the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons in which he?s signed for just $1 million for each season.

?The only reason why we wrote such a long contract was because of the payroll,? said Zetterberg, translated by the Detroit News. ?It is quite obvious that you try to fool the system. Actually, I may have two years left, but I have also learned to take one year at a time. But I will probably not play until then.?

Zetterberg signed a 12-year, $73-million contract in January 2009, before seven- and eight-year term limits were implemented following the last lockout. Part of the deal included larger salaries during the first nine years ? in the $7-million to $7.75-million range ? before dropping to just $1 million in each of the final two seasons. He will be paid $3.35 million in 2018-19.

These types of deals were constructed to pay a player more during the prime years of his career and artificially lower the cap hit ? in Zetterberg?s case, $6,083,333 ? which benefits the team. Such contracts were banned in the latest collective bargaining agreement agreed to in 2013. From that point on, a player?s year-to-year salary couldn?t increase or decrease by more than 35 per cent, while any salary couldn?t drop below 50 per cent of its highest value.

Zetterberg turns 37 in October and is coming off a 17-goal, 68-point season. He played all 82 games for the second consecutive campaign.

He has 326 goals and 904 points in 1,000 NHL games, all with the Red Wings, and won the Conn Smythe Trophy the last time Detroit won the Stanley Cup in 2008.

Despite his lengthy tenure in Motown, he doesn?t plan on sticking around the city once he retires from the Red Wings. Zetterberg plans on returning to his native country after his NHL career is over.

?After about 15 years there (Detroit) it has become a home,? he said. ?I have many friends and acquaintances there, but I miss Sweden more.?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Zetterberg says he has two years left in the NHL

Kronwall likely done by then as well....the true end of an era in Detroit.

Dobber Sports Padawan

It's ok, at least they will still have Abdelkator, lol

Dobber Sports Pro

Good find Axe. Confirmation of what seemed pretty obvious to most of us, I think. I had a feeling he and the Wings would try to go the LTIR route though, and him basically admitting he isnt planning on playing those two years could make that difficult.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I wonder what disease he will be diagnosed with in 2 years. Probably will make sure he sits out some games with his back issues this year.

Love that Z outright admitted his contract was just cap circumvention lol.

The Great One

Can't blame him, and kudos for essentially coming clean about it. That kind of success and money in the bank would make it hard for nearly anyone not chasing records or on a cup contending team to show up and play 82 games for "just" $1M.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/