Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: 2017/18 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Wow... I am starting to get nervous for this draft. First time I have ever been nervous about a draft.

Last year I had the excuse if I sucked that it was cause I just joined as a last minute fill-in.... this year... no excuses...

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Spending the morning typing up my draft manifesto for posting after draft tomorrow...
    Always one of my favourite leagues just because so many people are willing to participate in general discussion of theory, strategy.
    Mr.Temek seems to be keeping quiet over on his side of the pond... I suppose we'll hear from him soon enough!!

The Wolverine

Looking forward to seeing how Mr Shoeless drafts for me.

The Wolverine

It's nearly showtime!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Looking forward to seeing how Mr Shoeless drafts for me.
    He won the league last year when Crosby fell to him at #3.
    Lets just hope that nobody lets that happen THIS year!

Dobber Sports Icon

Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Peng’s 2017-2018 Rocky Horror Roto Show Draft Manifesto.

It’s back. My favourite 1-year league. Just the best group of GMs in fantasy hockey… in.the.world. Love these guys – so smart, so feisty. I’ve been in this league for five of past six seasons, finishing 2nd/3rd/2nd/3rd… and 9th. So, we should start with what went wrong last year and address that – to avoid a 6th place finish. I’m GOOD at drafting skaters and BAD with goalies. I honestly shouldn’t even try. Last year I drafted at the 11/12 with juggernaut temek outside me at the turn. I absolutely had to draft Price when he was left on the board at 11, as I knew temek would. I’ve said it many times (and temek has confirmed it) but if I leave Price there and temek takes him (instead of Schneider) he runs away with the pool and the three-peat. Can’t say I’ve gotten a single “thank you” from anybody else in the league for destroying my own standard drafting methods for the good of dethroning the champ, so, eff you all – somebody else can check him down this year… cause Peng is going back to Peng. Forgot about the goalies, I won’t be touching them until round 7, at earliest. Skater heavy Peng. I’m back, bitches.

I did have one first place finish last year. And I did it on a new-strategy I wanted to test out. D-heavy. I tried it out in one of LOTR’s 1-year league. I didn’t even really enjoy drafting, but the team was good (though it helped I got OV at 3, then 5D, then they left Dubnyk & Talbot on a silver platter for me in rounds 7+). So all I need to do is grab the goalies left to me, hope they pan out, and coast to my first RHRS championship, right? Well – at least, that’s the plan.

OK – off and running. Like an elementary school teacher, let me revive my opening notes.

{Ahem.}

First things first. People should map out their top two rounds of picks. Don’t be lazy. Make a long list of the players you want right to your round 2 pick saying “This guy over this guy”. I pick at 5/20/29 etc, but that doesn’t matter for this exercise. One shall just be absolutely certain of who they are going to take IF they are there. Here goes my list. 1.McDavid, 2.Crosby, 3.Burns, 4.Karlsson, 5.Ovechkin, 6.Pavelski(C/RW), 7.Holtby, 8.Benn, 9.Byfuglien, 10.Hedman, 11.Weber, 12.Seguin(C/RW), 13.Matthews, 14.Subban, 15.Tavares, 16.Scheifele, 17.N.Backstrom, 18.P.Kane, 19.Kucherov,20.Eichel.

1st round: I’m either going to LOVE or HATE my team after the first pick. I want to go D-heavy through SIX, yup, SIX rounds. So I want to start with one of Burns or Karlsson… and if they go 3 & 4, I’ll cry. I don’t really like Ovechkin, owning him. I concede that he’s the 5th best guy – by my Excel ranks and I would much enjoy owning Pavelski instead, who many know I love. If I take OV at #5, please know that I hate my team and my spirit is crushed. The season won’t be enjoyable for me and I’ll probably look to trade OV immediately. Lets stop discussing that and I’ll go forward assuming I got my D1. Mmkay?

2nd / 3rd round (20/29): While I love this group, I’m about certain that 5-9 of them are using FHG. OK, fine. I still think that is sort of cheating, but whatever. Temek wins this pool regularly, I think, because his smarts on the BETTER side of FHG projections – he does his own: and thus, has created a great advantage in where others do NOT know HIS tools. Solid. I… need to also get myself there. I mention this because one has to know the enemy’s tools and consider them. I know that 2-3 of the guys inside me will be using FHG, so I do have to take the guys that my model values as high as FHG. And I need to draft these guys before they are sniped. And THAT… is more D. Ideally I want one of Buff/Hedman/Weber here. But the juggernauts of temek & LOTR are in the middle of draft and will likely each go G/D with rounds 1-2 as they did last year. I expect to see Price & Holtby on their teams, with a D second round. (Note to Self – let’s see how I well I know these GMs). If all goes well, there’s a goalie run or a non-hitting wing run (Kuch/Tank/P.Kane) and it leaves one of those three D on board for me at #20. I want a THIRD defenseman with my #29… but the draft does have to make the turn. Hopefully those guys go hard on goalies and keep a demand going. I’ll get to goalies in a bit, but I’m totally laying off this year until rounds 7-10. Back to FHG – as I understand, those projections come from Dobber guide – which I paid for, love it – great guide – but this does give me insight into projections and I know who would slide because they are NOT rated highly by Dobber, but WHO might I like. That guy, on his injury shortened season is PK Subban (Yahoo 40, Dobber D11). Hopefully he slides and he’s on my roster with the #29 pick. I’ll also take Kris Letang… but Dobber has him quite high (D5). We’ll see. If the D I like are gone… and one of Tavares/Scheifele/N.Backstrom are there, I’ll that. I’ve always loved FOW with my offense.

4th / 5th round (44/53): Goalie runs usually happen in round 2/3 of this league. I’m hoping for that, as several goalies are in the Yahoo 30-60 range and GMs sniping those guys could leave players on the board. Josi, Risto, Hamilton, Doughty, OEL, Gio… these are the guys I want there, in close to that order. There’s 13 defensemen I really like, my ranker goes: Burns, Karlsson, Buff, Weber, Hedman, Doughty, Hamilton, Gio, Letang, Josi, Subban, OEL, Risto (by Yahoo proj). If all 13 D are all gone in the first 52 picks, and I expect that 15 goalies are gone, it suggests only 24F are drafted, so there would be insane F value on the board, among the likes of a Filip Forsberg or Wayne Simmonds… who I would take here… though its probably my fave Patrice Bergeron that could be there and if he is, I’ll take him.

<OK – over to D, discussion. The NHL PP has really trended to 4F1D units. I read a good article on Thursday night about how the worst PPs in the NHL last year were 3F2D units – and that Montreal might even shift into a 4/1 with Markov gone. So that REALLY puts a premium on D when our roster distribution is 12:6. PP for D will just run… dry. So I want them now. And, PP time also means general points, general SOG. So – as the NHL trends towards the 4/1, so does bottom end value decline. That “waiver wire” level of D men make a larger relative difference towards the PP1, high SOG, high BLK defensemen. They are uber-valuable as the NHL trends to 4/1 PPs… and THAT, I believe – coupled with late-drafting goalies – is what will WIN LEAGUES THIS YEAR.>

6th / 7th (68/77) – In my ideal world, I’ve got 0F/5D/0G at this point. That usually goes to shit… pre-planning, so I’ll probably have 1F, maybe 2F…. good lord I hope I don’t have 3+ F. Lets keep playing “All Has Gone According to Plan”. OK, so the typical 20g have gone off the board because everybody panics that they need 2G in maxGP roto. And I’ve created a D-crisis that is driving D to be drafted. If the long-end D are depleted (Klingberg, Trouba, Klefbom, AP) then I’ll have to shift gears to forward. But this should mean that a Yahoo 50-level forward, say, William Nylander – is still on the board. I will take him here, but I’m still drafting Kling, Klef, AP, Trouba first. I’d love 6D… and I will go 7D if I see BOTH two of those guys on the board. I’m mildly interested in Krug, Ekblad, and Shatty – but they have low HIT/BLK and I really don’t like that. Ghost is like that too. Having 5D is just fine, because there are some round 12 / 13 sleepers I like, such as Dumba, A.Martinez, Provorov, Muzzin. Then later I hope to draft a Morrissey, Erik Johnson, and MDZ. There are a couple constantly underrated centers that should be taken by now, but in the off chance that any of Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux, Ryan Kesler are here, my C007/C008/C009 players, I’ll take them.

8th / 9th (92/101) – OK. Hopefully, hopefully… if all has gone well, I’m looking at 0F/7D, 1F/6D, or 2F/5D. This is the point where I stop mentioning exact names. I just start to look at the board for best value. I have a couple checks I need to do in between round 7/8. My 100-Zone-Check time.

Check #1: Goalie Count. Yahoo! has a nice in-draft roster-function where you can see players taken by position. I mostly want to look at the G count on each team. 22 is the magic number. If I haven’t taken a goalie and the other 11gms have taken two each… that’s 22. Most GMs will lay-off goalies after their 2G “cozy feeling”… so one should try to WAIT – value there. But if the teams drafting 1-4 only have 1G, I have to honour that and get my goalie ahead of them (even round)… if they have 2G, then I can wait to draft after them (odd round). This is a key “turn knowledge” that I preach to people as a draft strategy. You want to know “expected demand” on picks inside you at the turn. Then you know what position to take first, and which will slide.

Check #2: Defense Count. Same thing, but I’m not doing a full league count, just teams 1-4.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

OK… it’s time to discuss goalies. Part of my Thursday night reading included some analysis/statistical previews from the Atlantic – which I’ve subscribed to… and… is AWESOME. I like this one DaveD guy who has statistical projections for team point totals - and – they are TIGHT. This is key because it confirms one of my feelings about modern NHL, teams are closely competitive. So there’s a lot of wins for every team and no run-away clubs. This means that teams down at 23rd/24th/25th best will still win a good share (43%-47%) of games. So late-drafting a goalie is a good plan. Beyond Holtby, Price, Murray, and Talbot (my upper four), I think the next 5-20 are really interchangeable. Then I count them off as follows: 14. Quick (I feel like he could actually fall to 92, crazy right?)… 19. Mason, 20. Anderson, 21. Smith, 22. Halak, 23. Elliott, 24. Darling, 25. Lehner, 26. Raanta… FLA/VAN/DET/COL/VEG… off list. So, the point here… even if 22 goalies are taken, I still very much am happy with goalies 23-26. But, the thing I don’t want to happen is for a run through 26 leaving me nothing. I do NOT believe this will happen in rounds 8-11, but some GMs will take 3rd goalies around 12. My fave on the list is Steve Mason – as Winnipeg is just a brutally underrated team with very, VERY, VERY high-end potential. You look at their top 6F and 6D and… to me… I say, wow, this team could be a top 5 NHL team. This said, it only takes one WPG-loving GM to take Mason off the board.

Sooo… 92/101… I don’t know. I’ll feel it out. Feels too early to take Mason, but I could. I’m likely just taking best forwards, maybe even Provorov… cause I’m giddy about his HIT/BLK potential that comes with his points. If Quick slides here, I’ll take him. Anderson (OTT) as well. Maybe even Elliott (PHI), as I think he’ll play 60gp. Two wingers that I’d love to nab here are Jon Drouin (Y99) and Arvidsson (Y117). Both should be gone, but if they are here, I may shelf my plans. Unf, Dobber has Arvidsson really high, so some FHG-user will reach for him – be interesting to see who that is.

- - - Updated - - -

10th/11th (116/125) – This is the spot where I’d really like to take my first goalie. Last year, the one player I really wanted and tried to slide a round was Risto. I regreted that all season. That said, winning leagues is all about “value” – and if you don’t let guys try to slide, you never get that value. So, ideal world, Steve Mason (WPG) is available here as my G1. Elliott (PHI) is the other guy I like. I think those guys will securely hold their G1 spots. Halak (NYI), Darling (CAR), Lehner (BUF) – I also like these guys… but I have genuine worry that their back-ups COULD steal plenty of starts… and trying to figure out the right time to draft a back-up to handcuff yourself can be hard. [If my plans have gone to absolute shit and I have too many forwards and not enough D, then I’ll reach for Josh Morrissey or Jake Muzzin here.

General Round 12-onwards theory.

Ideally, my G3 is Raanta. Unknown to many is that Arizona gets FIVE games against Vegas this year. Twice in the first two weeks. I want to think harder about Western players because they get these extra Vegas games. Also VAN still stinks as does COL. I also want to late-draft Domingue in 25th if I get Raanta.

Round 12-on is all about wingers and center, if things went well and I have 6D/2G after 11 rounds. I just really like what is available in the 100-160 range and many should be left there as teams will be over-drafting the shitty non-PPP defenders that are left at this point. Remember that 4F/1D discussion. Well the flipside of there being less D getting PPP is that there are more F getting PPP. So you can get them here.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    <OK – over to D, discussion. The NHL PP has really trended to 4F1D units. I read a good article on Thursday night about how the worst PPs in the NHL last year were 3F2D units – and that Montreal might even shift into a 4/1 with Markov gone. So that REALLY puts a premium on D when our roster distribution is 12:6. PP for D will just run… dry. So I want them now. And, PP time also means general points, general SOG. So – as the NHL trends towards the 4/1, so does bottom end value decline. That “waiver wire” level of D men make a larger relative difference towards the PP1, high SOG, high BLK defensemen. They are uber-valuable as the NHL trends to 4/1 PPs… and THAT, I believe – coupled with late-drafting goalies – is what will WIN LEAGUES THIS YEAR.>
    Peng, this is gold. The whole thing you wrote is gold, but this part is what, platinum I guess? +1

Now, where is that 4T2 character? I need to give him some neg rep for stealing no less than 4 of the guys I was going to draft literally with the pick right in front of mine!!!!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Pengwin, thanks for sharing your draft manifesto! Awesome read.

I attempted to do one this year. Not as I depth a yours... but I will hopefully get there next year. It is saved on my work computer, so I will share with ya on Monday.

What I can share with you is that I have decided on my team name for the year.

After drafting Max Pacioretty I will name my team after the much hated villain from Cape Fear -Max Cady

Team Name - MaxPac Cady

Dobber Sports Master

So my draft was a bit of a wreck. I dont understand how, but I couldn't change the sorting or filtering of my spreadsheet. That made the draft really tough. I spent a lot of time on the spreadsheet, only to have the tech let me down on the day.

The spreadsheet was created at work on standard office. I edited it at home using Office 365. I think something went screwy in the translation. As a result, everything was slower for me as I had to search for everything. Not an excuse, just a comment. I was pretty happy with how the draft went.

For those who are interested, below is the top of my sheet. None of the filters/sorting was working. It was only picking up the top row for some reason. Drove me nuts! When creating the sheet, I basically attempted to normalize all the stats to a similar number range. There are two totals. One with the stats including FOW and one that wasn't including FOW. I haven't yet figured out how to create one list that includes all stats. As you can see, Ryan Kesler was ranked really high on my sheet. In fact all the centers were ranked highly. That is what made me create two totals, so I could see how they ranked against players that dont have FOW. It has Crosby ranked first, but I ended up taking McDavid anyway. I used conditional formatting to make things stand out. I used icons to minimize the math I had to use and just rely on pictures. The bad part was my spreadsheet was stuck on with the FOW included in the filter. So you can see that Kesler, Kadri, Carter, Giroux were all ranked higher than I wanted them to be. The first total column was what I wanted to rely on, but I couldn't get it to switch. Then I couldn't filter to only see Dmen, RW, LW, etc. This was probably the biggest challenge. I ended up using Yahoo sorting tools when things got too crazy.

Anyways, I couldn't use any of it during the draft cause I couldn't get the filters/sorting to work. FACK! hahaha Still fun.

Dobber Sports Expert

Heading into the draft, I really had 1 strategy in mind... I wanted to make a scarce position even "scarcer" (if that's a word...) Last season I finished 5th despite missing the last 2 weeks because I was on vacay and couldn't access Yahoo! and I finished 13.5 points off first despite, copping a 1.5 in goals, 2 in assists, 1 in points, 1 in PPP and 1 in SOG, while getting a 10 in W, 11 in GAA, 7 in SV and 12 in SV% with a 11 in FW, HIT and BS... so this season I figured I'm going back to the well and trying a similar strategy but making sure I grab a few more players so I won't finish as badly in the offensive stats (thinking may be 3-4's...)

Basically I was planning on drafting 6 goalies from my first 8 picks, so that it would really start to limit the "quality" goalies available and force teams who grabbed goalies early to be handcuffed with a #2/2A/3 type of goalie, and force teams who didn't go goalies early to be stuck with really crappy goalies... I mean getting a 12 in G, A, P and then getting saddled with a 3/4 in W, GAA, SV and SV% works out the same going the other way. 48 points vs. 50ish points, which means the battle grounds will then be in the peripheral stats of FW/BS/HITs/PIM/+/-/SOG, which I placed a bit more emphasis on this time around.

Also the 164 game limit seriously comes into play given that most starting goalies, at best, start around the 60 game mark. So in reality you'd need 2.5 full-time #1 starters to even get close to the 162 game mark and that would mean starting goalies in all matchup including unfavourable matchups. By taking my fair share of goalie earlier, hopefully this will create a supply issue for everyone else (6 #1 goalies, means only 24 for the other 11 teams to fight after...). This would also allow me to make more favourable matchups and start only my goalies at home and against only lower end offensive teams. (Last year with a quartet of Lundy, Miller, Rinne and Ward, I managed to piece together a 84 win, 2.35 GAA, 4125 SV and .921 SV% season, while being very very conservative with my goalie starts in the 1st half of the year...)

Of course by creating a supply/demand issue, I can always move goalies throughout the season for players of "greater value" down the track.

Round 1
    - really wanted Burns at the 6 slot, but wasn't sure if he was ever going to slip that low, so I had my sights set on Holtby... thought about Price for a couple of seconds, but thought Holtby is the safer option with Trotz behind the bench...

Round 2
    - with Fleury out of the picture Murray was a safe pick, should get plenty of starts and wins, with decent peripherals... did think about Talbot just for the sheer volume of starts, but thought Murray was more secure.

Round 3
    - Wanted Stamkos, but he was sniped 5 picks ahead of me... did think about Crawford at this spot, but thought it was a round too early and I could get him on the way back. Went with Giroux for the FW, PPP and SOG mix...

Round 4
    - Crawford goes, Bishop goes, so went for the next best option in Rask. Potential to get back into the top tiered goalies, garners plenty of starts, reasonable peripherals and I can always just spot start him for home starts (20-10-1, 2.07, .916)

Round 5
    - Really really wanted Getzlaf, with Kesler out of the picture, Getz should get the bulk of the faceoff opportunities, contributes a reasonable amount of HITs and BS, with decent PPP production. Missed him by 2 picks... Did think about Schneider/Jones but got a bit cold feet thinking my offense would cave without a forward in this slot. Thinking about it retrospectively I should have went for the juggular and grabbed a goalie, but settled for Perry instead. Wanted to make a push in the goal column and he shot a career low 8.8% last year, so he should be due for a big rebound)

Round 6
    - Back to the well, after Jones, Quick, Rinne, Schneider all fly off the board, I went with Lundy (15-10-1, 2.46 GAA, .920SV% on the road last season - so pretty respectable numbers for spot starts). Schenn was 1 that I was really targeting for the draft and he went 1 spot before my pick, but I thought he would have lasted a couple more rounds.

Round 7
    - Was debating between Toews and Kopitar, but Toews went just the pick before mine so it was a easy choice. I think I like Kopitar more any way (contributes to HITs and BS plus a decent amount of SOG) same with Perry shot at a career-low of 8%, so a bounce back it due. Did think about perhaps grabbing Mike Smith, but Kops was too decent to pass up.

Round 8
    - Smith went, so looked at next best goalie options, went with Halak (Isles should be in for a big year if they want to keep Tavares), they brought in Eberle, D hasn't changed that much, he'll battle Greiss for starts, but as a #5 goalie, I'd honestly just use him for spot starts... Elliott did cross my mind, but wasn't sure of the Flyers' leaky D

Round 9
    - Was probably time to grab a D now... Many "experts" predict a downturn for Werenski, but I'm not buying... He still should get ample PP time and he was just outside the top 10 in terms of SOG from D... nobody really crossed by mind as other options...

Round 10
    - It was getting towards the coin toss picks now... I didn't really have a set target this round, so I was just scrolling through and looking at options, I thought I'd roll the dice on Guentzel due to his playoff performance and SOG/HIT potential plus point contributions...
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Stud

Always such a treat to draft againstthis group of GM's. They simply don't make big mistakes. Mostchallenging draft bar none for me.

Last year, I adopted a unique draftingstrategy that required targeting specific cat beasts (e.g. M.Martin)and late-drafting goaltending (e.g. R.Lehner). It brought me close tothe title, but required a TON of in-season waiver moves.

This year, I simply couldn't define aparticular strategy I wanted to adopt, aside from a basic draft plan.Drafting at #4, I REALLY didn't want to draft a W-only eligibleplayer, as I felt W depth was cavernous on Yahoo! this year. As perusual in this league though, best laid plans are quickly put to craplol.

Due to drafting Getzlaf, name switchfrom Skinned Hasselhoff to Polter-Getz for this season. I actuallyhad an idea to draft Jamie Benn at #4, and Curtis Lazar (24) andChris Lee (25) just so I could use Jamie Lee Curtis as my team namethis year... but I simply couldn't give up those last couple of pickswith this group of GM's.

Round 1
    As mentioned, really didn't want a W,but with McD/Sid going 1-2, Burns going 3 and EK with an injury, Ifelt I had to go Benn or OV here. OV was the home run swing bettingon a return to form. Benn is the safer cross-cat coverage (with a fewFOW), so I went with Jamie Benn.

Round 2
    Missing a D in round 1 meant I ashellbent on getting a top guy in Rd 2. Basically, had BB, EK as onetier, Buff as his own tier, and then Heds/Letang. With Hedman goingright before me, felt I had to grab the uber-injured-but-talentedLetang to set up my D. While it's never ideal to anchor your teamwith Band-Aid Boys, in a max-games ROTO set-up, I find the risk to bemore palatable since the level of production for “x” games + anastute waiver wire pickup can salvage any lost value.

Round 3
    Had 2 tiers of goalies,Price/Holtby/Murray and then the next tier of 4 guys. Was hopeful oneof those 4 would fall, and indeed after 3 went, Gibson was stillthere when I picked. Big on ANA this year, although this pick willideally have me being uber-cautious with starts early in the year(with Lindholm, Vats and Kes out) and my preference would be tohandcuff with Miller with JG's injury history.

Round 4
    Again, wanted a solid D here, and thatwas without having any inkling that Peng, along with the other GM's,were going to bleed D dry. Happy to have Doughty here. Actuallybelieve he's in for an above-average year.

Round 5
    Rounds 3 and 5 are typically (in mylimited experience in this league) where some insane value can befound. Usually guys are so focused on early strategy, that the oddstud falls through the crack. Last year, I was able to grab Geno inRd 3. I banked on the same thing, but couldn't capitalize due toneeding a G in Rd 3, so I felt like getting Getz here was solid valuetoo. Backstrom went just before, just to prove the value point. Withany luck, Getz also gets a FOW boost with Kes out, taking strong-sidedraws (Vermette taking his LS strong-side) too.

Round 6
    Had mapped out that I was takingS.Darling here if he was available. At worst, I'd planned to takeanother G that I had in his tier – but unsurprisingly, all of themwere drafted. That said, I'm REALLY big on Carolina this yearsurprisingly, and am happy having Darling as a #2.

Round 7
    Targeting multi-cat F's here but wascognizant that with this group, they can run dry in a hurry. Thatsaid, this year, with the run on D and G, there were actually moreoptions here than I expected, forcing me to choose within my owntiers. I'm an unabashed Radulov fan in this format, so he was mypick.

Round 8
    Strongly debated taking E.Kane in Rd 7,as I think the pending UFA alongside Eichel will have a huge year...well at least for however many games he winds up playing. Reallyneeded Goals and Shots after my draft so far, so was thrilled withthis pick.

Round 9
    D are absolutely FLYING off the board.Basically have one guy left in a (large) tier, and that's JohnCarlson. There's basically NOTHING I've read on him, or WSH thissummer that makes him attractive... but I'm a believer for somereason. A hunch pick – we'll see how it plays out.

Round 10
    While I tend to map out the first 2-3rounds, I am HUGE fan of targeting mid-range and sleeper guys inparticular rounds for later. Last year, I'd ranked Gudas too low,thinking I could “steal” him in a mid-teens round. Of course,with this group, he was long gone before then. So this year, Iover-ranked him and reached, but felt that securing him and hisinsane peripherals would open up value picks later for guys who onlybring points.

Round 11
    **Crux #1 of the draft for me.** I hadtargeted L.Couture as a massive value pick here, but as the draft wasunfolding and D and G were flying off the board, I seriouslyconsidered jumping and taking R.Suter here instead. That would haveset me up with a stellar 5D corps. As the clocked ticked down, I feltI couldn't leave Couts – but of course, Suter went before my nextpick and it forced me to dig deep to find D value later. We'll seehow this plays out, but it was 1 of 2 “harbingers” I'll mostcertainly look back on post-season.

Round 12
    Pre-draft, I had penciled in R.Lehnerhere as my #3 G. I'd grabbed him late the last two years in thisleague and felt like nobody was really overly fond of him. Whoops.Think he went at least a round if not two before here. My backup planif Lehner was gone was Raanta, so I grabbed him here. I actuallythink ARZ D is better than the best, and again I'm willing to wageron the Pacific being a little more open this year than in years past.At worst, he'll give me strong SVS. At best, he'll be a #3 withdecent peripherals.

Round 13
    Pretty much all of my D and G targetsare gone at this point, so it's time to start loading up on F's. Afew preferred targets went just before my pick, but despitehorr-awful peripherals, I like M.Stone's upside for points.

Round 14
    One of my FAVOURITE picks of the draft.Nabbed Huberdeau here and despite weak peripherals, I felt like hisADP was depressed due to his shortened season. Taking a peek at hisnumber when both he and Barkov were healthy... and me likey. Plus,I've loaded up early on peripherals for exactly this reason.

Round 15
    Despite the likely brutal +/-, Neal isactually a decent multi-cat option this year imo. Should have lots ofPP time and shoot a ton with Ship as a linemate. I believe his ADP isdepressed due to his usage in NSH last year and his recent handinjury (which admittedly is always a little risky with a shooter).Hoping for a decent showing, ending with a big boost after his(likely) trade towards the deadline.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Stud

Round 16
    At this point in the draft, it's reallyabout value (#1) and needs (#2). On my board are about 6 C's that Ifeel are solid value at this point. J.Staal losing his LW does drophis value in this league, but I've always been a fan and believed hehad more offence than he's shown the last few years. Regardless,hoping he'll deliver awesome FOW #'s and as I said, I'm digging CARthis year so believe he has more to offer.

Round 17
    It was between Stastny and Staal in Rd16, so I was pretty happy to nab him right afterwards. Stastny is oneof those guys who will likely never live up to his 70-pt days, and istherefore consistently considered a disappointment in fantasycircles. But I had him last year, and he delivered killer FOW, +/-and decent point/PP totals. As a 4C, I'm more than happy.

Round 18
    D continue to fly off the board and Ihave to jump a little earlier on my intended #6 Dman for my #5 Dslot. I'm actually a believer that VAN will be a tougher out thisyear than last (thanks to the Wild West Pacific), and MDZ has thepotential to bring decent peripherals and some PP time. It's not acertainty by any means, but a dart I'm happy to throw.

Round 19
    Perhaps a bit of a personal bias here,as I am a HUGE fan of Zach Parise and the style of game he plays.That game hasn't translated to fantasy for a number of years now, andhe's apparently having back issues (again) before the season has evenstarted... but if things heal right, he could offer amazingproduction from the 4LW slot as well as give me some much needed +/-help.

Round 20
    **Crux #2** - Dhas basically been decimated now and I'm admittedly less thanthrilled with my depth. I made a huge mistake last year draftingA.Stralman, and then holding on to him WAY too long, taking up a Dslot without offering any peripherals, and of course, bombing on PPtoo. Severson might be my Stralman this year. In Rd 20 though, I feltit was worth the shot since he “should” be playing PP1 in NJ(which ain't great but it's PP1). If I'm going to contend, I'lllikely have to upgrade him using some of my F or G depth as theseason progresses.

Round 21
    Need a RW-eligibleplayer to balance my lineup and while many of my late round targets(Gallagher, Mantha) have been sniped, I'm secretely a MASSIVE TatarSauce fan so I'm happy to grab him here. No question +/- could be akiller, but I'm hoping (and will be watching) for better PP and ESdeployment that should offer a slight boost in scoring totals.

Round 22
    Crazy happy aboutthis pick, mining a starting goalie this late in the draft. Yes it'sVarlamov and yes he plays for Colorado – but I don't care. He's my4G and I don't think COL will be “quite” as bad as last year(though still quite bad). I'd figured on grabbing R.Miller rightaround here, but he went a number of rounds earlier (as did a numberof other backups) – so finding a starter at this point in the draftis still a coup in my eyes.

Round 23
    Only 6 D and asmentioned, I'm not loving my depth. Figure it's time to take ahome-run cut and so go for R.Pulock. Have a few other “depth” Din my queue, but none have the upside of Pulock so decide to take aswing.

Round 24
    Really happy withthis pick too, nabbing M.Ferland in Rd 24. Aside from being ahit-machine, he's a lotto ticket since he's likely being slated tostart with Mono and Johnny Hockey on L1. Maybe he's bumped down thelineup, but at this point, he was a high value target for me.

Round 25
    Had a couple oflast round picks that other GM's decided to snag ahead of me, butfelt like D.Strome was worth the flyer at this point. Pedigree isfantastic and despite putting up silly junior numbers the last fewyears, hasn't gotten the respect due to being such a high pick andlikely because of his brother's challenges in NYI too. Likely waiverwire fodder but a dark horse for ROY contention made him a solid Rd25 pick in my eyes.

Once the fulldraft list is compiled I'd love to add a “favourite pick” byround analysis too, since there were a TON of amazing value picksmade by GM's as the draft wore on.

Super stoked foranother RHRS season and here's to me finding the extra 1 goal, 3 +/-,4 hits and 4 SOGs that would have had me dethrone Shoeless on thelast day last season!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Expert

Round 11/12
    - 2 more players that I really wanted to target heading into the draft was Zetterberg and Duchene (both are undervalued in terms of ADP, imho), both own winger eligibility for FW, if you can get FW from the wings that's generally a recipe for success in winning that category... and I got 1300+ with both guys. Also both players are decent SOG takers which helps me in that department... They don't really fit my initial team structure of strong in HITs/BS, so I'll evaluate my team as the season progresses to see if I move them throughout the season to fit my structure better.

Round 13
    - I did target Backes, Larsson, in this round, but both got sniped before it got to my pick. Thornton is always a favourite of mine, I'm always surprised to see him plummet in fantasy drafts... 19 PPP was only 3 behind Pavelski, Tarasenko and Carter... 4 behind Voracek, Kane, Johansen and 6 behind Crosby, Ovechkin and Benn... and also 43 assists was tied for 19th amongst all forwards... not bad for the 150th pick IMO...

Round 14
    - I needed more grit now with 3 "soft" picks... went with Jenner good mix of SOG, BS and HIT potential plus a few off FW here and there... I did eye Dubinsky, Leddy and Landeskog, but the first 2 went before my pick...

Round 15
    - Debated hard on Miller vs. Toffoli... went with Miller for the HITS/BS potential over Toffoli's SOG..

Round 16
    - For me, once again another coin toss round, didn't have a clear target in mind, just went scrolling... I did eye Jordan Staal, but there were quite a few serviceable centers available, so I passed... I did want Gardiner but he went a few picks for my selection... rolled the dice on Strome thinking if he gets to ride shotgun with McDavid, I could have a 16th round handcuff to the #1 pick... plus he picks up a few HITs too...

Round 17
    - I really needed to pad the D now... I only had Werenski so far... went with the BPA... Boychuk should get a bit more time/responsibility and push up the depth chart now that Hamonic is donesky... helps in the HITS/BS/SOG department... I did eye Rielly, but thought Boychuk had more periperal upside.

Round 18
    - EJ is always another one that I target as undervalued. Missed most of last season due to a fluke leg injury, but always a 120HIT/150+BS/150+SOG producer.

Round 19
    - Back into scramble mode, just scrolling through with nothing really targeted... I did eye Vatanen, but I read his injury update and it wasn't great... Petry fit my team and Theodore could be the "go to" guy in Vegas... but Nash caught my eye... the SOG were there, 2.9 SOG/game which ranked top 30 amongst all forwards, plus he contributed a HIT per game... overall points a bit shabby, but his 23 goals were also T-58 amongst all forwards and goals are always hard to come by...

Round 20
    - Went back to the D... really really slim pickings now... Edler was IMO the BPA. Got me the 100/100/100 stat-line that I'm always after... Severson was screaming at me, but I passed...

Round 21
    - I really really wanted Tatar and had him all ready queued up ready to click, but he went 2 picks before me... so I went with the Werenski handcuff in Johnson... back to the 100/100/100 model. I did look at Bobby Ryan/Marleau, but thought I had other options still available on the wings...

Round 22
    - Was looking to round out my C... so I went with Sutter who carried me last season... another 700+ FW from the winger position, with Gagner and Vanek as additions theres much more help on the wings that last year. The HIT/BS and SOG contributions also help too. I did look at RNH, but with reports him being shifted to the wing and lack of FW would hurt as a C only designation. I also did look at Holden, but with Shattenkirk signing that clogs up the blue-line offensively for Holden.

Round 23
    - I was eye Sharp a few rounds back actually... his HIT and SOG volume was what drew me to him, plus he back in CHI-town where he'll essentially take Panarin's spot in the top 6... Not bad for a swing for the fences pick... if he doesn't pan out I can always just outright drop him for a waiver wire pick up. Slavin was a favourite of mine last year, but I couldn't draw myself to click his name...

Round 24
    - Was looking to round out my D. Ceci really jumped out at me cause I remembered that Karlsson was our for awhile... so I figured someone has to step up in Ottawa... I don't know if Phaneuf is the man there... plus Ceci is a 100/100/100 type of player that I'm after... Hanifin did cross my radar and same with Strome...

Round 25
    - Just looking for a C with some offensive potential... so I rolled the dice on Rask... heading into his "magical 4th year"... plus his 186 SOG was inside the top 30 amongst all centers. Nothing to really lose with this pick...

Overall I'm pretty happy with my team... I went into it with a clear strategy and I think I executed it fairly well... I think I shoulda went that 6th goalie to apply some extra pressure on the rest of the league, but I think I got what I really wanted out of it with opposition goalie rosters of:

Talbot, Anderson, Budaj
    Allen, Lehner, Miller, Hutton
    Dubnyk, Luongo, Greiss, Niemi, Dell, Stalock
    Gibson, Darling, Raanta, Varlamov
    Mason, Hellebuyck, Forsberg, Brossoit, Neuvirth
    Andersen, Jones, Reimer
    Price, Quick, Saros
    Bishop, Rinne, Grubauer, Howard, Mrazek
    Bob, Vas
    Crawford, Smith, Elliott
    Schneider, Fleury, Markstrom

Mine: Holtby, Murray, Rask, Lundy, Halak

Overall Team:
    C - Giroux, Kopitar, Thornton, Rask
    LW- Zetterberg(C/LW), Jenner(C/LW), Guentzel(C/LW), Miller(LW/RW, Nash (LW/RW)
    RW- Perry, Duchene(C/RW), Strome(C/RW), Sutter(C/RW), Sharp (LW/RW)
    D - Werenski, Boychuk, Johnson, Edler, Ceci

As I said in my earlier post, I'm heading into this season with my strategy from last season, but this time from day 1 rather than the 180 turn that I pulled midway through last season. I think I protected myself a bit more in the point production and SOG end, while still staying strong in the peripherals of HITS/BS/FW.

Time will tell to see if I'm strong enough to compete with the upper tier.

Anyway good luck everyone! I'm sure it's going to be am exciting season just like it has been for the last few!
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12