Thread: Just acquired #2 pick overall

Dobber Sports Master

Default Just acquired #2 pick overall

Hey boys, I have recently acquired #2 overall in my keeper league for Kevin Shattenkirk. I am looking for opinions on who I should burn the pick on. The best options are the following: Nolan Patrick and Jake Guentzel. Also available are everyone from the 2017 draft. I figure Hischier is gonna go first overall. Other players that are available are Justin Schultz, Ondrej Palat, Mike Smith, but I think the best options are Nolan Patrick and Jake Guentzel.

I wont the league last year. My defense was stacked so I thought I could move Shattenkirk for the #2. I still have Burns, Big Buff, Krug and Provorov. I believe it was worth it.

I should say that we have a fairly non-descript scoring format. Pretty run of the mill stuff with BLKs and HITs added in. We have a slight bonus for dmen scoring, but not really enough to make a real difference. 10 skater stats and 7 goalie stats. Goalies are always the biggest performers. I am keeping Dubnyk and Jones. I cannot draft better than those two.

What are your thoughts on Patrick vs Guentzel? I am definitely in win now mode. Repeating as champ is the goal. Can I justify taking Patrick as a homer pick? Could Guentzel see a sophomore slump? Fairly torn between the two.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Just acquired #2 pick overall

I feel your pain AW... Patrick is very tempting but with you being in a win-now situation, Guentzel's 2016-17 output is something you'd love to forecast for 2017-18 and beyond. In the end, I'd probably take a chance and go with Patrick. However, I'm also one of those who feels he should have gone first overall so consider that as well.

FWIW, have you tried to trade the 2nd for the 3rd overall and see what extra return you may get for the downgrade?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Deity

Nico or Guentzel, in that order, who ever is there.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Take Guentzel here.

Dobber Sports Icon

im taking Guentzel..owning teh new kid on teh block is nice, but you wanna repeat.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Master

I dont usually fall into a homer trap but this one is hard to deny. Patrick is likely to be our next big thing. Plus... The Penguins........ man I hate the Penguins!!!!!! ARGRGGHHHHH!!!!!! PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, it looks like I'll have to take Guentzel. FML.

The Magnificent One

Honestly I'm going Nolan here. Injury concerns and all but I will still go with Nolan.

My take is you traded shattenkirk for the pick. Would you trade shattenkirk straight for guentzel? Maybe you would but I think most would have said you should get more. But shattenkirk for Nolan I think more would have done the deal.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    Honestly I'm going Nolan here. Injury concerns and all but I will still go with Nolan.

My take is you traded shattenkirk for the pick. Would you trade shattenkirk straight for guentzel? Maybe you would but I think most would have said you should get more. But shattenkirk for Nolan I think more would have done the deal.
    I would trade Shattenkirk for either one but I still think Guentzel is the better choice between the two of them.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I dont usually fall into a homer trap but this one is hard to deny. Patrick is likely to be our next big thing. Plus... The Penguins........ man I hate the Penguins!!!!!! ARGRGGHHHHH!!!!!! PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, it looks like I'll have to take Guentzel. FML.

Lol take Patrick man!!! Honestly next year will hurt but long term youre likely looking at a win/win with either pick- I dont see Patrick as an offensive dynamo- but I do see a very high, very safe floor (outside of injury concerns). I youre a phill fan/penguins hater there isnt enough talent differential to justify the resentment and slow burning rage that will be doomed to consume youre orange and black soul if Nolan pans out and/or Guentzel flops...