Thread: Carey Price

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Carey Price

Hi everyone,

I'm in a salary cap keeper league (12 teams, 18 players, 10 keepers). Categories are G A PP SH SOG PIMS .. W SO.

Should I hold on to Price or try to trade him? His 10.5M cap hit next year is huge (75M total cap hit). One GM is in need of a goalie (his only goalie is Hellebuyck) and I could offer him Price + 4th rd pick for Wennberg + a 8th rd pick. To put things in perspective, I could use the difference in cap (around 4M assuming Wennberg signs at 6M) to acquire someone like Darling, Smith or Mason). With categories only being wins and shutouts, Price isn't as valuable. Darling could end up only 10-15 points behind Price (or even less if Carolina takes a good step forward).

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Carey Price

Who else is on your team?

Price still carries a 6.5M cap hit this year. You mentioned his "10.5M cap hit next year is huge (75M total cap hit)", so I am a bit confused. This year's total cap is 75M, and should be higher next year. Is he already worth 10.5M in your league?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    Who else is on your team?

Price still carries a 6.5M cap hit this year. You mentioned his "10.5M cap hit next year is huge (75M total cap hit)", so I am a bit confused. This year's total cap is 75M, and should be higher next year. Is he already worth 10.5M in your league?
    No he still has a 6.5M cap hit this year but I figure I would need to trade him right now as nobody will want him (or at least his value will be diminished) later on. He's a top 5 goalie regardless of stats but he's not worth the cap hit.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Patry88 View Post
    No he still has a 6.5M cap hit this year but I figure I would need to trade him right now as nobody will want him (or at least his value will be diminished) later on. He's a top 5 goalie regardless of stats but he's not worth the cap hit.
    Makes total sense. That has already happened in my cap league, too.

Are you a competitive team this year?

Who are your other goalies? I'd want to have another solid goalie before trading Price and hoping to land a Darling, Smith, or Mason. That's a very scary proposition.

Dobber Sports Deity

Im all for trading him but not giving him away, which this trade seems to be the case.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Im all for trading him but not giving him away, which this trade seems to be the case.
    I'm very thin in goalies if I trade Price away. My other goalie is Anderson. I don't expect him to be all that good this year. Ottawa has the most back to back games in the league and well Anderson is getting older and injury prone... I just know that next year Price won't be worth his cap hit and it might be very hard to trade him at that point.

Dobber Sports Ace

Next year is next year. If you're in a position to compete this year, then you keep Price and do just that.

If you are going to move him, you need at least a strong starting goalie back, plus more.

Dobber Sports Giant

If you can't get more than Wennberg, I'd stand pat.

Darling COULD be an interesting player to acquire but if you can't guarantee that you can land him, it's 1 more reason not to pull the trigger on this one.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Patry88 View Post
    I'm very thin in goalies if I trade Price away. My other goalie is Anderson. I don't expect him to be all that good this year. Ottawa has the most back to back games in the league and well Anderson is getting older and injury prone... I just know that next year Price won't be worth his cap hit and it might be very hard to trade him at that point.
    I am not disagreeing with you; thats why I said that I am all for trading him. I just think this offer is too thin. I'd show a little patience here. Have you put him on your trade block? Is this the first offer for him? You don't have to jump at the 1st offer.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I am not disagreeing with you; thats why I said that I am all for trading him. I just think this offer is too thin. I'd show a little patience here. Have you put him on your trade block? Is this the first offer for him? You don't have to jump at the 1st offer.
    I tried gauging interest in the league and no one seemed to have any. I'd say the ones who will likely contend this year are all set goalie-wise. I'll wait until I get offered something better but feel the offers will get lower and lower as the season goes on.

Dobber Sports Deity

I am not sure if they will get much lower than this.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I am not sure if they will get much lower than this.
    I agree!!