Thread: Keeper League - Prospects (Hits/Blocks League)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Keeper League - Prospects (Hits/Blocks League)

Hi All,

Looking for some advice to find that diamond in the rough for my keeper league.

The league I am in counts Goals and Assists as a point each and 0.2 points for each Hit and Block. This is also a salary cap league.

Last year I hit the jackpot picking up Nikita Zaitsev early in the year. With his cheap cap hit he was a steal when it came to hits/blocks. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on similar d-men (or forwards) who would be great picks on entry level deals similar to Zaitsev last year. So far my list looks like;

Andrei Mironov
    Yaroslav Dyblenko
    Kyle Wood
    Alexei Bereglazov

also keeping an eye on the obvious suspects in Montour, McAvoy and Sergachev. I'm really looking for the lesser knowns that other GMs in my league may overlook. Our league allows 7 keepers (from our 25 man roster) with one prospect keeper (max. 40 total GP in the NHL). This is our first year with the Prospect Keeper so I'm targeting more of a hitter/blocker than a Hischier type that I would have to wait a few years to reach 70+ pts.

Thanks for your help!
    6-team, 25-man keeper league. 125M Cap. Any waiver transaction costs 10% of the player's salary you drop.
    G (1pt), A (1pt), Hits (0.2 pt), Blocks (0.2 pt), Goalie W (2 pts), Goalie SO (3 pts)
    14 Forwards, 8 D-men, 3 Goalies

Keepers
    F - Rantanen (Assuming 9-9.5M), Aho (8.454M), Radulov (6.25M), Huberdeau (5.9M), Barkov (5.9M)
    D - Weber (7.9M), Letang (7.25M)
    G - Bishop (4.917M)

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Keeper League - Prospects (Hits/Blocks League)

One that comes to mind: Nikita Zadorov (assuming he signs with the Avs)

His numbers looked low last year based on his games played - but he's a hits/blks monster.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Apprentice

How deep is your league, as in number of teams and roster/farm size? That will help determine who will be overlooked by other GMs.

A few Defensemen right off the bat that (I think) are all on ELCs or come cheap:

Gabriel Carlsson (CBJ)
    Stephen Johns (DAL)
    Kyle Wood (ARZ)
    Samuel Morin (PHI)
    Nikita Zadorov (COL)

*Edit: I see your league has 25-man rosters, how many teams?

Dobber Sports Rookie

It's not a deep league. 7 teams, 25 players (14 F, 8 D, 3 G). The prospect rule is the player cannot have played more than 40 career NHL games total so guys like Johns and Zadorov wouldn't count, but they're definitely on my draft list for regular players.

Quote Originally Posted by bergman View Post
    How deep is your league, as in number of teams and roster/farm size? That will help determine who will be overlooked by other GMs.

A few Defensemen right off the bat that (I think) are all on ELCs or come cheap:

Gabriel Carlsson (CBJ)
    Stephen Johns (DAL)
    Kyle Wood (ARZ)
    Samuel Morin (PHI)
    Nikita Zadorov (COL)

*Edit: I see your league has 25-man rosters, how many teams?
    6-team, 25-man keeper league. 125M Cap. Any waiver transaction costs 10% of the player's salary you drop.
    G (1pt), A (1pt), Hits (0.2 pt), Blocks (0.2 pt), Goalie W (2 pts), Goalie SO (3 pts)

Keepers
    F - Rantanen (Assuming 9-9.5M), Aho (8.454M), Radulov (6.25M), Huberdeau (5.9M), Barkov (5.9M)
    G - Bishop (4.917M)

Dobber Sports Wizard

In a league as shallow as that, forget hits and blocks. Just go for the offensive players who can produce points. You don't need to get hits and blocks if you get enough points.

And none of the guys you mentioned are going to be as good as Zaitsev was. Wood has the upside to get there but he isn't there yet.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like Jake Dotchin here. He could give you a good mix of points and hits

Dobber Sports Rookie

Dotchin is a great catch. Thanks! Hopefully the offseason signins TB did on D doesn't take time away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tfan5211 View Post
    I like Jake Dotchin here. He could give you a good mix of points and hits

Keepers
    G - Bishop (4.917M)