Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wanna join the biggest one year league in the world? (120 teams and counting!)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Red face Wanna join the biggest one year league in the world? (120 teams and counting!)

The Puck Hogs Local 242 is entering its 17th year! Last year we had 8 divisions, good for 120 teams total, and we're back for our biggest season ever!

We have members from the US, Canada, France (that would be me!) Australia, Russia, and many other places.

100$ to get in, huge prizes (More than 4K for the winner, yeup, you read that right!) but mostly, mostly, a tremendous amount of fun!

Each division has a full universe of NHL players so you won't need to fight over VGK 4th liners.

Everybody's welcome, whether you are a newbie or a spreadsheet monkey memorizing QMJHL scouting reports. Our motto is "commitment to stupidity more impressive than your fantasy skills". Winning it all won't be that easy though, and to me it's just the perfect combination of fun and competition.

We have a ton of fun on our message board (clever trash-talk, insightful commentary on NHL ice girls, etc) and some of us get together for a somewhat annual event: Puckapalooza (past locations: Hartford, Seattle, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Toronto, Los Angeles). This year will be a Pond Hockey Tournament in Colorado, i'll be flying all the way from France to play pond hockey with some strangers i've never met in person before, and I just can't wait for it!

We also have cool trophies and awards including The Bucket, awarded annually to our league champion, that travels from country to country. Some vets in the league are after this since more than a decade. Note of importance, I won it my first year in the league, three years ago! Yeup, I'm that good! Our beloved commish actually worked on Bucket 2.0 this summer, and there's even a mini trophy for every winner to keep now! http://www.puckhogslocal242.com/the-bucket.html

A few links to help you get a better idea of what it's all about:

The boards: http://phl242.com/smf/index.php

Rules and Payouts: http://puckhogslocal242.com/rules.html(This link doesn't work well from a phone, if you can't access the rules from a computer, feel free to reach out and i'll email it to you.)

Rule overview: One Year League, Regular Season Points Total, Playoffs H2H Points, 120 teams (maybe more), 8 divisions (maybe more), 15 teams in each division (individual drafts)

Rosters: 4 Forwards
    4 Dmen
    2 Utilities
    2 Goalies
    5 Bench

Scoring: (G, A, +/- , PIM, PPG, SHG, SHA, GWG, HAT, SOG, HIT, BLOCK, WIN, GA, SV, SO, OTL)

If you have any questions, just post here, pm me, or email me at [email protected], I'll be very happy to answer them.

Hoping to see you around this year!
    Last edited by louba5; August 28, 2017 at 7:12 PM.
    105 teams (7 divisions of 15 teams with indivual drafts), Regular Season Points Total, Playoffs H2H Points, One Year League $$$
    Start 4F, 4D, 2U, 2G daily, 5 bench
    G, A, +/- (important cat), PIM, PPG, SHG, SHA, GWG, HAT, SOG, WIN, GA, SV, SO, OTL

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Wanna join the biggest one year league in the world? (120 teams and counting!)

I just skimmed through the rules, seems like a really cool league. One question though, in a 1 year league of this size, I would think allowing trades would just lead to collusion. Has this been an issue in the past?
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Wanna join the biggest one year league in the world? (120 teams and counting!)

Thanks Serge, i've seen some of the leagues you've created and they seemed pretty cool as well!

Well, trading is always a sensitive thing, and it's true to say that in such a big league it must be adressed carefully.

There' actually a veto process that's implemented to prevent said collusion and total rip-offs that could endanger the intergity of the league.

It's been refined over time, and while it doesn't reinvent the wheel, it's working pretty well.

Once a trade is accepted, every gm in the division as the opportunity to protest it. If three gms protest, the trade is brought in to the "trade jury", wich is composed of every division commish and the league commish. If one of the commishes is somewhat invlovled he obviously doesn't have a vote. People can make their case and the jury make a ruling.

I don't think any system can be perfect regarding trading, but this work pretty well, even more so lately I'd say, so well that there isn't much trades brought to the jury.

And it let us having lots of trade action, wich is pretty fun isn't it!?
    105 teams (7 divisions of 15 teams with indivual drafts), Regular Season Points Total, Playoffs H2H Points, One Year League $$$
    G, A, +/- (important cat), PIM, PPG, SHG, SHA, GWG, HAT, SOG, WIN, GA, SV, SO, OTL

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Veteran

Would be interested.

Couple questions:

1 - For the playoffs, considering you face-off against other division leaders, I'm assuming there's potential for similar rosters?
    2 - When are you looking to draft?
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for your interest and questions!

1-Yeup, it's one of the trade-offs, but with 17 forwards it rarely results in more than one or two similar players playing against each other. Also, we try to preserve division integrity as long as we can during the playoffs, so the first three weeks crown the 8 division champions, (no intra div matchups during those weeks), then for the next three rounds, we have to mix divisions oviously. It can also add to a bit of strategy, like if your opponent has a significant lead and if you have similar goalies, maybe you can bench him and play you 3rd g hoping he gives you an edge. Doesn't happen that much though.

2-With as many divisions, we make sure that we have two-three divs drafting each week-end leading up to the season, starting the 16th-17th of september. We can assign people to divisions based on their preferences for the draft time.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Already a few new gms on board, still lots of room for some savy owners!

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Wow, those divisions are feeling up nicely, once again, feel free to ask your questions here or at [email protected]. I'll be happy to answer them!

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Just a heads up, we voted a slight scoring change, adding hits and blocked shots, 1 point for each. (goals and assists are 25 each!)

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for all the inquiries! Lots of managers already signed up, but we have always room for more so feel free to ask if you have any question!

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As of yesterday, we already have 72 gms paid in full! Almost a month away from the begining of the season. Let's bring this to 150 teams. Who's in!?

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by louba5 View Post
    As of yesterday, we already have 72 gms paid in full! Almost a month away from the begining of the season. Let's bring this to 150 teams. Who's in!?
    Getting dangerously close from 100 gms signed up!!

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

That's official... EXPANSION! 121 teams signed up, 9th division and 135 teams on the way! Still some time to sign up. You can reach out to me here or at [email protected] for more infos!

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

LAST CALL!! 105 paid up and more coming every day, we're rounding out our 9th division right now. Now is the time if you want to jump in!!!

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Here it is! We've reached our goals of... 9 divisions for a grand total of 135 teams!!! And we're not done just yet, as we're now gunning for 10 divisions and 150 teams! It'll be the last div for this year, so if you want in, now is the time!

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would be very interested in taking part in this league.

Please let me know how to sign up/apply.