Thread: Draisaitl v. Kucherov

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Draisaitl v. Kucherov

Thoughts on the choice between Draisaitl and Kucherov in a 12 person keeper league with the following forwards format?
    G A +/- SOG HIT PPP FW BLK

For context - our league allows us to keep 2 forwards, 2 defensemen and 1 goaltender
    My current keepers: McDavid, Kucherov, OEL, Burns, Holtby

Guy with Draisaitl isn't having any luck dealing him and can't keep him, so I would be able to get him for pretty cheap. Alternatively, I could just try to grab him in the 1st round.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Draisaitl v. Kucherov

Welcome to the forums.

I think the FW category gives Draisaitl the advantage here.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Magnificent One

Welcome to forums and for me fows lead me to dras but I would still take kuch.

I am one to think dras losses a bit going forward bc they seem to want him to play second line center away from mcdavid. Kuch is a natural play maker he can do it all himself. Easier to redraft dras than kuch
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Kucherov for me...especially if he is dropping Drasaitl and you might get him for free...

The Great One

Probably kucherov but it depends on the settings (i.e., do you have positional requirements for forwards)? If so, the FW advantage for Draisaitl isn't that impactful since C's are usually the easiest to find on the wire.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like Kuch better, and as you said yourself you might be able to redraft Draisaitl in the first round
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports All-Star

Kuch is a notch better. FOW make it close. Depends on your leagues positional settings.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Genius

WOW! Just imagine having McDavid and Draisaitl as your keepers for the next 8 years.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Stud

Kucherov for me, only because he's proven he can carry a line by himself while Leon hasn't proven that (yet).
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

The Wolverine

Can you confirm whether you have just forwards or positional requirements?

Looking at it in a vacuum for a moment comparing the two:

If forwards only, then the FOW is a big increase in value for Draisaitl, assuming he still gives you 400+ FOW a season. That may offset the decrease in offensive production, which you could make up in the draft.
    If positional requirements, then if Draisaitl has wing eligibility then FOW increases his value but only to closer to Kucherov's value, given the offensive advantage for Kucherov, especially in goals and SOG.
    If positional requirements and Draisaitl is a centre only, then his FOW (assuming same as last year) does not give him an advantage because centres are expected to get FOW. If they aren't above average in FOW, then it does not increase their value. If they are centres only and below average in FOW, then it would actually decrease their value.

Now more context:

Is this a H2H or Roto league? This could change the values significantly. Roto having balance across many categories is very important, where H2H is simply trying to get the most categories (assuming category win) per week.

And finally, you mention that you could get him in the draft. When is your pick in the first round? I suspect that he could be one of the first players chosen so unless you have an early pick then it could be difficult to get him. Though, when does the Draisaitl owner pick in the first round?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the replies!
    Horrorfan, we have 2C, 2RW and 2LW slots - no utility.
    H2H scoring as well.

My draft position is phenomenal. Near the end of the season I traded some significant assets in order to own the 3rd, 4th and 10th pick overall. There is a good chance that I could land him - I let Scheifele go to draft, and there will be no short supply of other distractions available. The Draisaitl owner picks late, so he isn't going to land him.

The Wolverine

Does Draisaitl have wing eligibility in your league?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Coming to the end of the season he did, I believe.

The Wolverine

That helps for sure if he retains that eligibility. I'm still thinking keep Kucherov though, as I'd rather keep the better producer of G and SOG. Being a H2H league I'm not as concerned about single, more easily found categories (e.g. FOW, Hits), since you only need to win the majority of categories each week. Given it's a limited keeper, I'd rather keep the better offensive producer (perceived better in future, of course) and then fill out the other categories in the draft or during the season.

Hopefully you can get Draisaitl at pick 3, especially if he retains that eligibility. If not, having both McDavid and Draisaitl will still be good for offensive production, but would limit each other with FOW if they play on the same line.