Thread: How Would You Play The First Part of This Draft?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default How Would You Play The First Part of This Draft?

Okay guys, draft day is this Saturday! It's basically go time. 12 team league, PPR, 4 keepers. QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, FLEX, DST, K. I knew last year wasn't going to be my year, so I sold late and ended up with the 1st pick and 3 second rounders. I was hoping you guys might help me map out some targets since I have 5 picks in the first 25, and want to dominate this year.

Starting with Julio Jones, LeSean McCoy, Rob Gronkowski and Keenan Allen.

The only thing I can control is the first pick, and as of now, I'm taking Michael Thomas (as we discussed in the last thread).

That leaves me with:
    QB:
    RB: McCoy, X
    WR: Jones, Thomas, Allen
    TE: Gronkowski
    Flex: X

From that point, I have pick 13, 16, 23 and 25. I clearly need to fill in a RB (missing one and the flex option before bye weeks). I also need to decide how early to fill in the QB slot since I don't want that killing my chances this year. Where should I be heading with each of 13/16/23/25? Here is a list of the top players available at each relevant position.

QBs: Luck, Wilson, Cousins, Carr, Mariota, Stafford, Roethlisberger
    RBs: Fournette, Hyde, Montgomery, McCaffery, Woodhead, Powell, Mixon, Ingram, Cook, Gore, Lacy, Perkins, Ware
    WRs: Crabtree, Tate, Landry, Edelman, Robinson, Fitzgerald, Crowder, Benjamin, Hill, Diggs, Garcon, Bryant, Maclin, Moncrief
    TEs: Reed, Kelce, Walker, Rudolph (don't need though)

Any thoughts on my strategy would be greatly appreciated. I know we can't predict how the others will pick, but it's worth being prepared.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: How Would You Play The First Part of This Draft?

I'd ignore tight end.

At RB, I'd like to come out with 2 or more of Fournett, Montgomery, McCaffery, Mixon, Ingram, Cook. If you take Montgomery, just take Jamaal Williams late.

At WR, I'd be fine with most of those guys, just take 2 of them. In PPR, I like Robinson, Diggs, Martavis, the most I think.I would specifically stay away from Landry, Edelman, and probably Tate.

Hard to really go wrong with any of those QBs, but I like Carr, Stafford, and Big Ben the least.

Dobber Sports Padawan

With your first pick at #13, I think you should target WR and maybe TE (Kelce only). As long as your flex allows TE's, he would be a good pick there. He produces like a wr2, can fill your flex and is insurance on the often injured Gronk. If not,.a high upside WR like Bryant or Hill can win you your league.

With the next 3 picks I'd make a point of grabbing 2 RB's. I like all listed minus Perkins, Gore and Lacy. I wouldn't want to rely of the ageless wonder for weekly #'s and the Seahawks backfield is already giving me headaches. Perkins, i don't know much about but I've seen him get drafted later (round 8-9) in two other leagues.

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm not picking a TE unless it's Eifert kinda late for you. He's solid, not bad, and a good replacement if Gronk is hurt.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Kelce would have finished as the WR 18 last year in PPR. No way am I taking him at #13 with what else is on the board and you having Gronk.

Ironically, I've already been in a similar spot and took a second TE early because I was intrigued by the concept of rolling a TE and upper tier flex TE. It backfired because I had to commit to using the second TE in the flex spot most of the year, instead of playing matchups. Obviously if a guy like Kelce drops like a lead balloon it's interesting, but I can't see taking one until later.

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I'd ignore tight end.

At RB, I'd like to come out with 2 or more of Fournett, Montgomery, McCaffery, Mixon, Ingram, Cook. If you take Montgomery, just take Jamaal Williams late.

At WR, I'd be fine with most of those guys, just take 2 of them. In PPR, I like Robinson, Diggs, Martavis, the most I think.I would specifically stay away from Landry, Edelman, and probably Tate.

Hard to really go wrong with any of those QBs, but I like Carr, Stafford, and Big Ben the least.
    I agree with this strategy. Just to add my own spin....def ignoring TE. I prefer WR over RB in a RB/WR/TE flex spot. Consequently, in a full ppr/start 3 WR + flex I go WR heavy in the first few rounds. That said this being a keep 4 x 12 teams than means out of the gate you're starting at a theoretical round 5. Use THIS combined tiered ppr ranking as a guideline, and go forth and conquer your draft!

I too am drafting this eve. A new home league, full point ppr, seasonal format. we'll compare note after.
    @SmittysRant

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I agree with this strategy. Just to add my own spin....def ignoring TE. I prefer WR over RB in a RB/WR/TE flex spot. Consequently, in a full ppr/start 3 WR + flex I go WR heavy in the first few rounds. That said this being a keep 4 x 12 teams than means out of the gate you're starting at a theoretical round 5. Use THIS combined tiered ppr ranking as a guideline, and go forth and conquer your draft!

I too am drafting this eve. A new home league, full point ppr, seasonal format. we'll compare note after.
    Sounds good - thanks man! Good luck!!!