Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: [RE-SIGNING] Draisaitl in EDM

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: [RE-SIGNING] Draisaitl in EDM

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    One thing you can always count on is to blindly support their management and think "they know best", even when said management spits evidence in their face that they don't. It's a phenomenon seen in literally only one NHL fan base.
    So, for the record, I'm a Bruins fan.

Also, I think you're missing what I'm saying here. I'm not defending the contract as either good or attacking it as bad. All I'm saying is that this is the contract that the people holding the purse strings in Edmonton feel best allows them to profit. Outside of that, no, I'm not ignoring anything about the past. Just because the Oilers weren't losing money while they were icing a losing team doesn't mean that they aren't making MORE money now with McDavid and one would think (to a lesser degree) Drai; and unless I'm mistaken, between winning cups the Pens never missed the playoffs, did they? Just because you don't win it all, doesn't mean you don't have a good team.

Drai's contract is marketing, plain and simple. You don't sell jerseys for middling players, you sell jerseys for stars. Trouble is, nobody's buying a jersey for a guy who might not wear it this year. Sure, Drai may still bust and it's all a waste, but I think there are fewer people who think that than think he'll be a legitimate star. I also reiterate: how is it good asset management to let him watch from the press box? The team is better with him on the ice, and clearly the Oilers' front office thinks that's worth a slight overpay.

Dobber Sports Wizard

The biggest mistake the Oilers made was signing McDavid first. Once McDavid was given $12.5M after ELC, it probably felt insulting to offer Draisaitl $6M after that. McDavid is amazing and deserved his contract but it probably made the Draisaitl negotiations more difficult. "You think I'm worth less than 50% of McDavid?" In the end, Draisaitl's side probably said something like "OK, we're willing to take $4M less than McDavid is getting but that's the lowest we can go." They wouldn't have had this problem if they signed Draisaitl first and McDavid after that. McDavid has a year left, so there was no real urgency to get that done.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    The biggest mistake the Oilers made was signing McDavid first. Once McDavid was given $12.5M after ELC, it probably felt insulting to offer Draisaitl $6M after that. McDavid is amazing and deserved his contract but it probably made the Draisaitl negotiations more difficult. "You think I'm worth less than 50% of McDavid?" In the end, Draisaitl's side probably said something like "OK, we're willing to take $4M less than McDavid is getting but that's the lowest we can go." They wouldn't have had this problem if they signed Draisaitl first and McDavid after that. McDavid has a year left, so there was no real urgency to get that done.
    Then again it may have been Drais camp who wanted to wait. Or Connor wanted to get it done first. Their are so many things we dont know.
    Agents know how to squeeze out the most they can so they may have set it up that way.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Panther View Post
    Then again it may have been Drais camp who wanted to wait. Or Connor wanted to get it done first. Their are so many things we dont know.
    Agents know how to squeeze out the most they can so they may have set it up that way.
    The Oilers have no reason to let players dictate how they run their business. If Draisaitl wants to wait, then he can wait an entire year for all I care. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do that.

And no matter how good McDavid is, you can't let players decide how you run your business. Just explain to him that he has a year left on his contract and you want to re-sign Draisaitl first because his contract has expired already.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    One thing you can always count on is to blindly support their management and think "they know best", even when said management spits evidence in their face that they don't. It's a phenomenon seen in literally only one NHL fan base.
    Another thing we can always count on around these parts; you pissing on anything and everything that has to do with the Oilers. You are so predictable and transparent. I bet if we go back and look, no one posts more in the Oilers information threads than you! LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Another thing we can always count on around these parts; you pissing on anything and everything that has to do with the Oilers. You are so predictable and transparent. I bet if we go back and look, no one posts more in the Oilers information threads than you! LOL!
    Well. They just make it so so easy. Every time. Also proving how you love to be wrong, I do actually credit the Oilers for the odd good move they make, they're just so so so so rare that it doesn't happen often. If only they made good, smart decisions I wouldn't have anything to piss on. Instead Chiarelli makes it so so easy.

Dobber Sports Pro

The bottom line for me is that they've awarded a top 10 salary to someone who has one good season, most of which (as was demonstrated) was from playing on McDavid's wing. The comparison to Malkin is bogus as Malkin has carried his own line for 10 years. While Draisaitl may prove otherwise next season, the Oilers do not have a twin offensive threat. If he continues the play he demonstrated in the playoffs against Anaheim then I'd change my opinion. I think the Oilers are due for a long stay in cap hell and for their sake Draisaitl better be able to carry the load.

Dobber Sports Pro

51pts in 72gms isnt a bad season. That was 2015-16, his first full season, but lemme guess, it was all Taylor Hall in that case? Leon just got secondary assists centering that line with Hall and superstar Teddy Purcell.
    Not to mention that recent playoff performance which always earns guys big $ if you do it in a contract year, it's really unfortunate for Oilers fans that Leon almost outscored the entire Flames team in the playoffs by himself. Could have got him under 8 if he hadnt dominated Anaheim :/
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    51pts in 72gms isnt a bad season. That was 2015-16, his first full season, but lemme guess, it was all Taylor Hall in that case? Leon just got secondary assists centering that line with Hall and superstar Teddy Purcell.
    Not to mention that recent playoff performance which always earns guys big $ if you do it in a contract year, it's really unfortunate for Oilers fans that Leon almost outscored the entire Flames team in the playoffs by himself. Could have got him under 8 if he hadnt dominated Anaheim :/
    Well. 2.32 P/60 playing with Hall, 1.13 P/60 without. So um. Yes. Like you're making it too easy.

But sure, overpaying for playoff performance with a PDO of 108 in 13 games. When did that ever fail.

Dobber Sports Pro

The important part of my post was Leon almost outscoring the Flames team by himself against Anaheim.
    THE END IS COMING OILERS FAN, we are stuck with Connor and Leon for 8 more years!

How many shifts did he play without Hall in 15/16? Not many.
    Point being, he played Center, without McDavid, and performed well, as a rookie basically.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I bet if we go back and look, no one posts more in the Oilers information threads than you! LOL!
    Completely true by the way.
    Respect your dedication rataylor.
    I had a similar hate on for the Canucks during there Kesler/Burrows/Bieksa years. I had fun.

The important part of my post was Leon almost outscoring the Flames team by himself against Anaheim.
    THE END IS COMING OILERS FAN, we are stuck with Connor and Leon for 8 more years!

How many shifts did he play without Hall in 15/16? Not many.
    Point being, he played Center, without McDavid, and performed well, as a rookie basically.
    Well I mean, the point is he didn't perform well at center, without Hall lol.

And really, if playoffs are so important, the Oilers are super f***ed. They just paid $12.5 mil to a player that only scored 0.69 P/g in the playoffs lol. Monahan scored 55% of McD points in 30% of his games and is only paid half of McD. What a steal. Should have paid that money to Letestu instead.

Dobber Sports Pro

I would love if this convo went towards criticizing McDavid's contract or playoff performance, it'd make this a really fun thread to look back on in a year or 2.

How much did Leon play without Hall in 15/16, genuinely curious and you got all these fancy stats from TheAthletic you can quickly pull up.

I would love if this convo went towards criticizing McDavid's contract or playoff performance, it'd make this a really fun thread to look back on in a year or 2.

How much did Leon play without Hall in 15/16, genuinely curious and you got all these fancy stats from TheAthletic you can quickly pull up.
    It's just from google searches really. It's not hard.

879 minutes with Hall, 160 without. So sure, there's a sample size issue, but ya know, that's the whole point of the conversation lol.

McDavid is for sure underpaid, and most certainly a regular season and playoff stud. But that's the point. Overvaluing or undervaluing players based on small sample sizes is a problem. You can't say Draisaitl is definitely a stud because of his playoff performance unless you also say that McDavid is overpaid because of his playoffs. If you don't, you're just cherry picking your arguments to conveniently fit your narrative.

Dobber Sports Pro

Good grief...Oiler fans get so defensive. I said that if it turns out that his playoff performance is indicative of his future play then the contract is worthwhile. But you can't deny cold, hard numbers, and they show that while Draisaitl was dynamite with McDavid, his production was decidedly mediocre without him.

As for the trash talk, fair enough, as lame and petty as it is. I think a lot of things fell into place for the Oilers last year and they're not nearly as good as some of their fans think.