Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: [RE-SIGNING] Draisaitl in EDM

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: [RE-SIGNING] Draisaitl in EDM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Bridge deal. I dunno.

IMO If you think he's a star you sign him to this deal as fast as you can.

Could cost you a lot more down the road with a bridge deal. Like a Subban situation.
    In a couple of years, do you see him getting more than $10M? Because I really don't. Maybe he gets $10M but is that really all that bad compared to $8.5M now? To me, that's not a bad option at all. And it gives you a few years when you can add some really good pieces at the deadline with the cap space you saved. It wouldn't be my first choice but it's still better than paying him too much now.

The Great One

In a couple years you're buying more UFA years. More than $10M who knows. Who knows what the cap will be at?

This current deal is 11% of the cap.

Tarasenko signed at 10% of the cap.
    Gaudreau 9.25%
    Monahan almost 9%
    Scheifele 8.4%

It's a little more but it's not a big deal. Very manageable I would think.

Dobber Sports Sage

I think $25 million for your top 3 cornerstone forwards will soon be the new magic number... (assuming CAP keeps rising).

PIT has Crosby + Malkin + Kessel for ~$25 million... add Hornqvist and they're closing in at ~$30m.

WSH has Ovechkin + Backstrom + Kuznetsov for ~$24 million... add Oshie and they're at ~$31 million - window is pretty much closed though.

CHI has Toews + Kane + Hossa for ~$26 million... Saad now instead for ~$27m.

ANH has Getzlaf + Perry + Kesler for ~$24 million.

That said...

If EDM can sign Pujulaarvi for ~$5m to a 3-4 year deal they will be OK -- McDavid + Draisaitl + Pujulaarvi = ~$25-26 million. Or if you want to add RNH in there instead of JP they're at ~$27 million.

Leafs will also be good to go if they can get Matthews (~$10m) + Marner (~$7.5m) + Nylander (~$7.5m) = ~$25 million for those 3.

I really don't see any surprises here. Don't know what all the commotion is about. These young kids are the future. They will be getting paid for what they will do instead of getting paid for past success (or lack thereof)...
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Well Draisaitl+McDavid and Toews+Kane are both $23 million, so I'm not totally sure where your math is coming from lol.

EDIT: Yikes, nope.

Dobber Sports Genius

- I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Well Draisaitl+McDavid and Toews+Kane are both $23 million, so I'm not totally sure where your math is coming from lol.

EDIT: Yikes, nope.
    Im not sure where YOUR math is coming from.

12.5 + 8.5 does not add up to 23.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Yes thanks axe, very clearly already addressed that.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Yes thanks axe, very clearly already addressed that.
    lol, polite AND snotty!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    In a couple years you're buying more UFA years. More than $10M who knows. Who knows what the cap will be at?

This current deal is 11% of the cap.

Tarasenko signed at 10% of the cap.
    Gaudreau 9.25%
    Monahan almost 9%
    Scheifele 8.4%

It's a little more but it's not a big deal. Very manageable I would think.
    I think this is another good point that is getting missed. The cap has gone up since a number of the "comparable" contracts were signed. It's the same way you need to look at McDavid's contract vs. Crosby's. Sure, Drai is getting slightly higher of a percentage, but again this isn't fantasy. There are other real world variables to account for. Like Moses and I said before, the NHL is a business where billionaires pay millionaires to make money for them. We're talking about ROI over the eight years of this contract. If the business minds in Edmonton decide it's worthwhile to pay him more from a purely business perspective, regardless of them now needing to go the Chicago route and fill out the bottom of their roster with cheap/young players, so be it. That is the decision they believe will net them the most dollars. Is it the best decision? I don't know. I have degrees in Philosophy and History, not Economics. I would venture to guess that the people making these decisions have more knowledge, training, and information than we do, so I'm willing to accept that they've done the math.

Also, rataylor, "strong man" negotiating tactics work a lot less well when you're beholden to the fanbase to maximize profits. Imagine the fan outcry - and lost revenue therefrom - if they let Drai sit out the whole season. Plus, what kind of asset management is it to lose an entire season from your 2C/PP1 up and coming star over less than two million dollars? How many games do they lose that they didn't have to? In this situation, it was in the Edmonton Oilers' best interests to get a deal done. The difference between seven and eight and a half just means that Chiarelli will need to get creative to get the most out of their 5/6 dmen and bottom 6. Doesn't seem to have stopped the Penguins though.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Im not sure where YOUR math is coming from.

12.5 + 8.5 does not add up to 23.
    Flames math...you wouldn't understand.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Flames math...you wouldn't understand.
    Wait... Does that mean that the Flames are actually significantly under the cap and they just don't know it? Sounds like a great problem to have! Hah.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Were you not watching the last 10 years of Oilers hockey? The fan outcry would be non-existent and Draisaitl would sign after missing his first pay check, maximum.

Not to mention, there's no proof that the "new" Chicago model works, nor is there any type of proof that Chiarelli has the competency to execute it. His cap management in Boston would suggest no.

Lol, the NHL shuts down their league for whole seasons and there is zero financial backlash from fans. Anyone thinking playing some hardball negotiating with your star would cause any are insane.

First time I've ever seen overpaying on a contract justified from having to appease the fans from a making money standpoint. Oilers fans truly will reach for anything lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    Doesn't seem to have stopped the Penguins though.
    Did you not see the gap between 2009 and 2016? Paying too big of a cap % was the biggest reason for that gap. Doesn't anyone actually think Chicago are legit contenders for a cup right now? If so, uh, yikes.

One thing you can always count on is to blindly support their management and think "they know best", even when said management spits evidence in their face that they don't. It's a phenomenon seen in literally only one NHL fan base.