Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: [RE-SIGNING] Draisaitl in EDM

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: [RE-SIGNING] Draisaitl in EDM

1. The stats support at least some honest skepticism around Draisatl's current ability to carry the 2nd line to the tune of $8.5M. Given the evidence, why is this skepticism such a big deal?

2. The argument against this contract is not just about the Oilers. It's about the value of any player's performance given the sample size and usage: with 2 years of stats and his best performance occurring on McD's wing and in the playoffs, is this player worth an 8 year commitment of $68M? Again, I think this presents a fair question mark. Obviously, plenty of GM's came to a different conclusion with larger sample sizes and center-specific usage (Mackinnon, Scheifele, Barkov, Johansen, etc.)

3. As a Pens fan, I could argue that the Pens are not the model. They struggled to make it past the 2nd round for 6 years because of cap issues.

4. Lastly, if I were an Oilers fan, I'd definitely want to lock Drai up for long term - I'd be excited about the direction of the team, so I support the optimism.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Good grief...Oiler fans get so defensive. I said that if it turns out that his playoff performance is indicative of his future play then the contract is worthwhile. But you can't deny cold, hard numbers, and they show that while Draisaitl was dynamite with McDavid, his production was decidedly mediocre without him.

As for the trash talk, fair enough, as lame and petty as it is. I think a lot of things fell into place for the Oilers last year and they're not nearly as good as some of their fans think.
    I agree that the Oilers are not nearly as good as some people think (yeah, I called Oiler fans people, deal with it). It's pretty obvious that they could use another D (or 2), but if they do well in the playoffs, I don't actually care about who makes what salary-wise. I get that "overpaying" (however subjective that term is) players is counterproductive to the long term cap management, but to all you negotiating experts out there, I'd love to see you in the GM hotseat and do better. You'd be lucky to survive the season. The NHL isn't the same as running a fantasy hockey team. As I've said before, I am aware of Chiarelli's track record at mismanaging the cap. So, yeah, it's not comfortable, but I'm much more happy with him in the drivers seat than any of the old Oiler (and Flame, god, Risebrough still makes me cringe...and Tambellini, ugh) cronies that had the helm before.

We will find out over the next couple of years if Draisaitl will live up to his contract. Obviously, a large amount of how much he's being paid is based on projection.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Good grief...Oiler fans get so defensive.
    -Flames fan enters Oilers thread and says they are overrated and in cap hell.
    -Oilers fan responds taking a shot at the Flames
    -"Oiler fans are so defensive"

Its all good, its a combustible relationship with these fan bases, the team names dont help either.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    It's just from google searches really. It's not hard.

879 minutes with Hall, 160 without. So sure, there's a sample size issue, but ya know, that's the whole point of the conversation lol.

McDavid is for sure underpaid, and most certainly a regular season and playoff stud. But that's the point. Overvaluing or undervaluing players based on small sample sizes is a problem. You can't say Draisaitl is definitely a stud because of his playoff performance unless you also say that McDavid is overpaid because of his playoffs. If you don't, you're just cherry picking your arguments to conveniently fit your narrative.

880 mins compared to 160 is quite a contrast, 160 mins is less then Leon played in the playoffs. Seemed like you were trying to place value based on a small sample size.
    I see your point I was definitely cherry picking, but we all do it. And I didnt say I personally believe Leon deserved it cause of that playoff run, just that its standard practice in sports, produce in the playoffs in a contract year and you are gonna get paid! It has back fired many times but it did give Draisaitl's camp some leverage. It's 500k too much for me, but I can live with it.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    -Flames fan enters Oilers thread and says they are overrated and in cap hell.
    -Oilers fan responds taking a shot at the Flames
    -"Oiler fans are so defensive"

Its all good, its a combustible relationship with these fan bases, the team names dont help either.
    I guess when there's never anything going on in Cowtown, they have to jump into the Oilers threads. It must be so boring be a Flames fan.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Now I know why I don't like the Oilers or the Flames - it's the fans. I guess I could say the same thing about Habs and Leafs as well. I don't understand why everyone in Canada has to get so defensive about their own team.

I guess the Jets fans haven't lost their minds yet, so I can still wish good things for that team.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Now I know why I don't like the Oilers or the Flames - it's the fans. I guess I could say the same thing about Habs and Leafs as well. I don't understand why everyone in Canada has to get so defensive about their own team.

I guess the Jets fans haven't lost their minds yet, so I can still wish good things for that team.
    Would you not say every true rivalry has that problem? Pittsburgh-Philly, Boston-Montreal, Chicago-St.Louis, Anaheim-SanJose-LA triumvirate. Every true rivalry breeds uneccessary contempt towards the other side. Shit, that's not even a hockey thing. Fans have to sit in separate sections at soccer games because they legitimately murder each other if they mix.

Pretending like it's a strictly hockey or strictly Canadian thing is pretty naive. Shit, Canada and hockey is tame compared to other countries and other sports. I'd never go cheer on the Pittsburgh Steelers in Baltimore or Chelsea at the Arsenal home stadium. I feel more than safe and comfortable going to Edmonton in a Flames jersey.

Dobber Sports Pro

When the Jets stop sucking, we'll start paying attention to them.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Would you not say every true rivalry has that problem? Pittsburgh-Philly, Boston-Montreal, Chicago-St.Louis, Anaheim-SanJose-LA triumvirate. Every true rivalry breeds uneccessary contempt towards the other side. Shit, that's not even a hockey thing. Fans have to sit in separate sections at soccer games because they legitimately murder each other if they mix.

Pretending like it's a strictly hockey or strictly Canadian thing is pretty naive. Shit, Canada and hockey is tame compared to other countries and other sports. I'd never go cheer on the Pittsburgh Steelers in Baltimore or Chelsea at the Arsenal home stadium. I feel more than safe and comfortable going to Edmonton in a Flames jersey.
    I don't really follow enough other team sports to comment but I don't understand soccer hooligans either but then again the game of soccer is so boring that I guess you have to do something like that to add some excitement to the game.

I will start following the NFL this season, though, so maybe in a few years I know more about NFL fans.

The Great One

Is that your criteria if you like a team or not?

By categorising all fans from the couple you communicate with online?

Dobber Sports Pro

I will start following the NFL this season, though, so maybe in a few years I know more about NFL fans.
    They kill each other at NFL games. Happens every year.

I thought this thread was some pretty tame bantering.
    Where's the Canucks fans at lets turn this up a notch...nvm they only come around when they are winning.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Is that your criteria if you like a team or not?

By categorising all fans from the couple you communicate with online?
    It's not but that's the only reason I can think of why I've started to dislike those teams. I have no reason to dislike them but for some reason, whenever I'm watching them play, I find myself rooting for the other team.