Thread: Tips for how to prepare for 2017-18 fantasy hockey

The Great One

Default Tips for how to prepare for 2017-18 fantasy hockey

This week's Cage Match features part one of a two part series on how to best utilize the eight weeks between now and the regular season (yes - the puck drops on 2017-18 exactly eight weeks from today) to fine tune your preparation for your league(s). Here's a link: http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...ration-part-1/

Part one focuses on the next four weeks, while part two will be published four weeks from today and will be geared toward the last four weeks of preparation. Give this a read and let me know what you think, plus share some of your own useful tips for everyone's benefit.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Tips for how to prepare for 2017-18 fantasy hockey

Never really thought about checking players' stats both before and after a coaching change. I may have to reinvestigate some of my players.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Great read and some excellent advice! Although I prefer my competitors continue to rely on the "watch the games eye test" and season-end stats only so am loath to see pieces like this break things down so simply, it was articles like this on Dobber that have helped me refine my approach to fantasy and gain a much better appreciation for the on-ice game (as limited as my exposure to it is in Oz currently).

Bottlenecker noted your comment on coaching changes, which I fully endorse- also recommend anticipating which coaches are on the way out, who is in queue to replace and how that might affect systems. Suggest that coaching systems should also be analysed (especially PP systems).

Love the comment "not all injuries are created equal" hip on a goalie; shoulder on a skater; knee on defender are major red flags

Did you miss the one-way deal/waiver exemption in your contract section?

Solid work Rick
    Pool #1: 10 Team Keeper League,

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G
    Protection: Any 22 + 2 prospects
    Result 19/20: 3rd

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov
    D: Rielly, Krug, E. Karlsson, S. Jones, D. Toews, Giordano, Severson, Dobson
    P: Podkholzin, Holtz, N. Robertson, Lundell, Lehtonen, Perunovich
    G (W2, OTL1, SO3, G, A): Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Mrazek, Talbot

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Pool #4: Dobber Campbell Pro 2020

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Never really thought about checking players' stats both before and after a coaching change. I may have to reinvestigate some of my players.
    Normally it's less of a factor, but with five legit mid-season changes in 2016-17 and some stark contrasts in before and after production, it's a nice way to get added insight into 2017-18 projections on these teams.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Polecon View Post
    Great read and some excellent advice! Although I prefer my competitors continue to rely on the "watch the games eye test" and season-end stats only so am loath to see pieces like this break things down so simply, it was articles like this on Dobber that have helped me refine my approach to fantasy and gain a much better appreciation for the on-ice game (as limited as my exposure to it is in Oz currently).

Bottlenecker noted your comment on coaching changes, which I fully endorse- also recommend anticipating which coaches are on the way out, who is in queue to replace and how that might affect systems. Suggest that coaching systems should also be analysed (especially PP systems).

Love the comment "not all injuries are created equal" hip on a goalie; shoulder on a skater; knee on defender are major red flags

Did you miss the one-way deal/waiver exemption in your contract section?

Solid work Rick
    Solid work of your own on your post!

Preparing for fantasy hockey is like losing weight. It's best done slowly and in small steps, not by cramming your efforts into a short time window, so I figured I'd help folks start their efforts with enough time to see results by October.

Your added thoughts are spot on. Teams with coaches on the hot seat are important to focus on, since players can sometimes "check out" and decrease their effort amid rumors of a coach being on his last legs (giving poolies a nice buy low window), then suddenly ignite in the immediate aftermath of him actually being let go. The tough part can sometimes be figuring out which players' post-firing spike in production could be sustained, versus being temporary, since the temporary ones could be sell high candidates.

I thought about the one-way and waiver situation, but not only is that covered very well in the Fantasy Guide, but in many leagues those players are not on the fantasy radar of GMs. Plus, the head honcho prefers me keep these columns on the shorter side, so this was one wrinkle that ended up on the cutting room floor.

Lastly, your comment about PP systems is something I'd already planned to put into part 2, since far too many poolies nowadays assume that teams are still running with 2D on the PP, when in truth that's becoming more the exception than the rule.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Lastly, your comment about PP systems is something I'd already planned to put into part 2, since far too many poolies nowadays assume that teams are still running with 2D on the PP, when in truth that's becoming more the exception than the rule.
    This is something I hadn't paid any attention to until I read something you posted (on the forum I think) back in May/June. After some work with the fancy stats and Frozen Pool, I completely recast my ranking of defenders. If 4-1 becomes the norm, it will be a race for those 30 or so D who have prime PP time. Targeting the undervalued ones has led my efforts this summer.
    Pool #1: 10 Team Keeper League,

Points only, 12F, 6D, 2G
    Protection: Any 22 + 2 prospects
    Result 19/20: 3rd

F: Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Hall, Bergeron, Gusev, Kopitar, W. Karlsson, Marschessault, B. Schenn, R. Smith, Mantha, Kubalik, Kaprizov
    D: Rielly, Krug, E. Karlsson, S. Jones, D. Toews, Giordano, Severson, Dobson
    P: Podkholzin, Holtz, N. Robertson, Lundell, Lehtonen, Perunovich
    G (W2, OTL1, SO3, G, A): Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Mrazek, Talbot

Pools #2 & 3: 31 team head to head dynasty leagues: full NHL replica where roster + farm =90 - fast becoming an expert in the MHL

Pool #4: Dobber Campbell Pro 2020