Thread: Move Price for a Top 10 FWD?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Move Price for a Top 10 FWD?

Hey gang, looking for some early pre-draft opinions. We recently switched up our pool and dropped from 12 keepers to 6. We get to keep 3 forwards, 2 defence and 1 goalie from our old teams. We've also switched to an auction draft and waivers to there's a lot of new stuff happening. We get one trade before the draft. So here's the conundrum. The guys I'm keeping from my old team are Tavares, Seguin, Wheeler, Weber, Byfuglien, and Price. Not bad. Problem is I also have Cam Talbot. Price and Talbot had pretty similar numbers last season and as much as I love him I'd be willing to move Price to make a significant improvement on Wheeler (who I'm also a fan of, especially with our new HITS cat). I reached out to the owner of Nikita Kucherov and he's interested in a swap for Price. So I guess the question is, do I do something like this? I'll get nothing if I drop Talbot back into the draft but I suspect I can get Wheeler for a reasonable price and get significantly younger in getting Kucherov. I'm also not convinced the Habs have improved much. I know I saw some Talbot/Price threads a while back and opinions seemed split...hoping my situation helps clarify. What say you?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Move Price for a Top 10 FWD?

I would keep Price over Talbot.

I also think Wheeler is valuable in your format especially with Hits....

Why don't you put Talbot on the block and see what you could get?
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Sage

Would you trade Price/Wheeler for Talbot/Kucherov? With Ws and SV% as being the only goalie stats, I do make the trade. It is close but the high volume of shots and higher GAA% would not hurt Talbot. I see the Kucherov over Wheeler and Price and Talbot close with these settings.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I actually clarified a bit. We're allowed ONE trade before our draft and I highly doubt I'd be able to get a player the calibre of Kucherov with Talbot. I'm totally fine with keeping Price/Wheeler and dropping Talbot into the draft. If nothing else, he'll suck up some serious money from someones draft wallet. I'm really just curious if it's worth the sorta downgrade from Price to Talbot to snag a decent upgrade over Wheeler.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Would you trade Price/Wheeler for Talbot/Kucherov? With Ws and SV% as being the only goalie stats, I do make the trade. It is close but the high volume of shots and higher GAA% would not hurt Talbot. I see the Kucherov over Wheeler and Price and Talbot close with these settings.
    This is kind of how I see it. I don't think Talbot is worse than Price with these cats (given he's about as good as last year). Kucherov seems like a better bet over Wheeler for the next three years IMO and there's a good possibility I can get Wheeler back in the draft (he's criminally underrated in our pool).

Dobber Sports Genius

I don't think there is a wrong choice in moving/keeping Price or Talbot. You have to lose one anyway. ?\_(ツ)_/? There has to be another team in the league that has 4 awesome forwards and 'meh' goaltending. That is the GM you want to target.

Who else do you have right now that are fringe keepers?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I don't think there is a wrong choice in moving/keeping Price or Talbot. You have to lose one anyway. ?\_(ツ)_/? There has to be another team in the league that has 4 awesome forwards and 'meh' goaltending. That is the GM you want to target. Who else do you have right now that are fringe keepers?
    Not any options better than Wheeler (IMO)...Voracek, JvR, Atkinson, Skinner, Zuccarello. I kind of targeted Kucherov based on his age and apparent awesomeness. The guy with him is keeping Andersen (over Lundqvist) and is monster Habs fan. None of the other teams have terrible goaltending + awesome forwards though. The closest would be the team keeping Ben Bishop...he has Malkin and Crosby.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm a big Kucherov fan and am not as optimistic with Price's team as I am with Talbot in Edmonton...I would do this trade.
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Dobber Sports Ace

I would take Kucherov/Talbot over price/wheeler. I think the difference from Kucher to wheeler is pretty decent. Price to Talbot I see as more equal. Edmonton is only going to get better.
    12 team, H2H points, limited keepers
    allowed 6 keeper players(PLAYER DRAFTED IN RDS 1-8 NOT ABLE TO BE KEEPER)
    Daily starts

16 man roster plus 1 IR
    start 6 forwards,4 d, 2 goalies

pts: G=3, A=2, DA=3, DG=5, +/-=1 GWG=1, OTG=2, OTA=1, PPG=2, PPA=1, SHG=3, SHA=1, HT=3, SHOOTOUT GOAL=1
    BLKS=.25, HITS=.25, MAJ=2

Goalie pts: WINS=5, SAVES=.20, GA=-1, SO=3
    SHOG SAVE=.50, SHOL=2

forwards: M.TKACHUK(k),MARCHAND(k),SCHEIFELE(k)
    BENN, GAUDREAU*, COUTURIER*
    d: M.RIELLY(k), JOSI*, MCAVOY*, ELLIS
    goalies :TALBOT* DEMKO MAF
    (k)=keeper
    *= no keeper eligibility
    bencH: KOPITAR* R. GRAVES ROBERTSON KREJCI
    IR E.PETTERSSON(k)

Dobber Sports Deity

I would actually trade Price for Kucherov given your situation, keep Talbot and drop Wheeler.

With Wheeler coming up on 31 years of age, less teams will be willing to go after him, even in this setup. Personally I think Wheeler is still a beast in this setup but I would take Kucherov at this point.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

In a 12 team, keep 1 goalie league, it's tougher to find someone willing to take on a goalie. If you can get someone like Kucherov, then I say do it. Moving Price will get you the bigger return vs value, so I think that's the route to take.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'll take the Kucherov/Talbot side.. especially with your league settings
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the feedback guys...very helpful.