Thread: 12th overall indecision

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default 12th overall indecision

For the team in my signature.

I own pick # 1, 12, 16, 22 and 24. During the draft phase (after the auction phase where we fill out our main team), we can draft any player not taken during the auction phase and later decide if we want him on our bench or our farm team. Farm team players are all kept at no cost until you decide to move them up (no time limit except for goalies who must be moved up after 10 games played in the NHL). Not all 1st round picks are used to draft prospects (in fact, maybe only the top 10-15 are used for that)

I'm almost certainly (barring any surprises) moving W.Nylander up to my main team this year and Vesey will either be moved up or traded.

I know what I'm doing with pick #1, but pick #12 has me second-guessing myself. Unless I make a trade, I only have room for 2 new prospects. I fully expect that Shipachyov will be drafted in the top 10. Dadonov is already in a farm team so will not be available.

Here are my options :

A- Select a 2017 draftee for my farm team with my 12th overall.

B- Select an older prospect for my farm team (Bjork, Hawryluk, Walman, Haapala, Caggiula, Heinen are some examples of unowned prospects at this time) with either my 12th overall or a later pick.

C- Forget about drafting prospects with my picks #12 and later and load up on bench players. My team is NOT in win now mode. This would allow me to keep Nylander in my farm team for a massive punch when I decide to bring him up along with Keller and Hischier (and who knows, maybe Jost).

Next year I already have two 1st rounders and three 2nd round picks, so trading for picks next year will be difficult (every GM must have exactly 5 draft picks at all times).

Any suggestions?
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 12th overall indecision

Not sure exactly what kind of bench players would be available, but if you're not in win now mode, then you should be able to get a solid prospect like Necas, Suzuki, Tipett or someone of that ilk at 12. I would run with that and target Suzuki if you can.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

You target the best player available.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Not sure exactly what kind of bench players would be available, but if you're not in win now mode, then you should be able to get a solid prospect like Necas, Suzuki, Tipett or someone of that ilk at 12. I would run with that and target Suzuki if you can.
    After the auction, bench players would be bottom 6 players or #4-6 d-men who, if lucky, might get some secondary special teams time but can move up the lineup in case of injuries, or backup goalies or goalies who are on a terrible team and/or a timeshare.

TBH I was thinking of getting Liljegren or Walman at 12 originally, since I have no D prospects. Since Vegas also drafted Glass, wouldn't Suzuki become #2 C for the Knights, hence limit his upside a bit?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    After the auction, bench players would be bottom 6 players or #4-6 d-men who, if lucky, might get some secondary special teams time but can move up the lineup in case of injuries, or backup goalies or goalies who are on a terrible team and/or a timeshare.

TBH I was thinking of getting Liljegren or Walman at 12 originally, since I have no D prospects. Since Vegas also drafted Glass, wouldn't Suzuki become #2 C for the Knights, hence limit his upside a bit?
    That's one way to look at it for Suzuki, but if that is the case, then maybe we should have lower expectations any of Vilardi, Middlestadt etc because they have solid NHL talent ahead of them. Vegas doesn't have a lot of competition, and will probably be selling a lot of the current NHL forward competition at the deadline. So no I'm not worried about Suzuki just because of Glass, who we don't even know for certain will be the better centre.

- - - Updated - - -

Walman would be a solid pick too as he's a lot closer to the NHL. Any other guys from previous draft classes available?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Walman would be a solid pick too as he's a lot closer to the NHL. Any other guys from previous draft classes available?
    I've outlined a few in the original post, but yeah there are some... can't really name them all from memory, but if you have a name or two that you were thinking of I can see if they're still available.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I would promote Vesey, assuming that would give you room for 3 prospects, and draft a 2017 player at 12

Dobber Sports Initiate

Promoting Vesey and Nylander only frees up 2 spaces for new prospects.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    Since Vegas also drafted Glass, wouldn't Suzuki become #2 C for the Knights, hence limit his upside a bit?
    Suzuki could easily end up being the better player compared to Glass, or they could have two equally good scoring lines, or one of them could move to wing. I'm not too worried right now.