Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 dynasty Roto keepers

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Top 10 dynasty Roto keepers

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    I hate to be late to the party here Stuntman, but there is still time to shift gears! A few observations from me.

G,A,BLK,FOW,HIT,PIM,SOG,FO%,TS%(TRUESHOOTING) (9/13 = 70%)
    SAVE S,SHUTOUTS,GAA,SV% (4/13 = 30%)

30% of your scoring is in two roster spots (2/20 = 10%). Omit goaltending at your peril. This isn't an H2H where you can punt and grab a hot goalie or rely on spot starts. In a 12 team league with 2 starting G slots, I would ensure you have at least three undisputed starting goaltenders. Four would be even better so you could hold your league mates to ransom and demand the world. Provided it's an active league with good trading, I would hoard the crap out of goalies.

Next observation: wing-eligible players who take faceoffs (Joe Pavelski, etc) are extremely valuable. Load up on wing-eligible centres and you should be laughing.

Yet another observation: only two of your nine skater stats are anything related to scoring, maybe 3 if you count SOG. That's a messed up league configuration, but it's your job to exploit it. Target players that hit, block, get PIM, and SOG. You've already got Wayne Simmonds but make sure you get Evander Kane. He shines in this format. Don't focus on names because that will mislead. If you were to focus on hits, blocks, PIM, FOW, and SOG systemically you'd be way ahead. If you can dominate those five categories then a poor showing in G and A won't matter too much.

No defender should be on your roster that has less than 100 hits and 100 blocks. Radko Gudas is a monster in this format. Look to the Kings too. Lots of good value to be had.

(I don't want to be too promotion-ish, but weird setups like this are why fantasyhockeygeek.com exists. If you want legit rankings that are customized to your setup, look no further)

Again, sorry this is late but hope it helps!
    Right on thanks FH Geek! We get a $250 giftcard to NHL.com if we win.

Dobber Sports Monster

so would you guys say my team is on the right track thus far?

C- Jack Eichel - BUF (C) 1st Round
    C-
    C-
    C-
    LW-
    LW-
    LW-
    LW-
    RW- Tyler Seguin - DAL (C/RW) 2nd Round
    RW- Wayne Simmonds - PHI (RW) 4th Round
    RW-
    RW-
    D- Oliver Ekman-Larsson (ARI) (D) 3rd Round
    D-
    D-
    D-
    D-
    D-
    G-
    G-
    BN-
    BN-
    BN-
    BN-
    BN-
    BN-

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Pretty hard to screw up a draft in the first 4 rounds, unless you are making seriously questionable decisions. Looks fine so far. What is much more important is what you do with your picks between rounds 10 and 20, IMO. Don't be that guy that grabs too many prospects, or grabs them too early. Focus yourself on making a team that can win right now and for the next 5 years. Worry about the distant future later. Grab guys like Getzlaf, Pavelski, Kesler when they fall to you because others are busy grabbing young guys.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Pretty hard to screw up a draft in the first 4 rounds, unless you are making seriously questionable decisions. Looks fine so far. What is much more important is what you do with your picks between rounds 10 and 20, IMO. Don't be that guy that grabs too many prospects, or grabs them too early. Focus yourself on making a team that can win right now and for the next 5 years. Worry about the distant future later. Grab guys like Getzlaf, Pavelski, Kesler when they fall to you because others are busy grabbing young guys.
    i like pavelski but i need a goalie. still 10 or so picks for my turn again

Dobber Sports Pro

i like pavelski but i need a goalie. still 10 or so picks for my turn again
    As previously mentioned, definitely sort out your crease before drafting any more skaters.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    As previously mentioned, definitely sort out your crease before drafting any more skaters.
    yes I will! My skaters are stacked any how!!! .... STACKED BRO ha ha

Dobber Sports Star

Fully agree with BreadMan. Two goalies next, then focus on the grit and faceoffs from the wing. Those two things will win you this league.

Dobber Sports Monster

Fully agree with BreadMan. Two goalies next, then focus on the grit and faceoffs from the wing. Those two things will win you this league.
    thanks geek. was thinking about your site before this draft but am strapped on funds at the moment but I do trust your judgement on Roto league! They are definitely a different animal than regular point leagues Im used to. Will for sure get your guide before my next Roto League draft

Dobber Sports Star

Further to Breadman's comment about focusing on winning now, there's a real risk that this league will fold or change in a big way because generally where the correct mathematical strategy is to focus away from scoring (which is the case in this league) there is serious cognitive dissonance with what players are intuitively valuable. If you're in a league with extremely savvy GMs this might not be a problem, but you should be prepared for it all the same.

Put another way, punt the future because there's a chance it ain't comin' anyway...

Dobber Sports Monster

Further to Breadman's comment about focusing on winning now, there's a real risk that this league will fold or change in a big way because generally where the correct mathematical strategy is to focus away from scoring (which is the case in this league) there is serious cognitive dissonance with what players are intuitively valuable. If you're in a league with extremely savvy GMs this might not be a problem, but you should be prepared for it all the same.

Put another way, punt the future because there's a chance it ain't comin' anyway...
    im suppose to be getting evacuation money etransfered to me today, if i get it im buying your guide for sure, you sold me lol

i signed up on your site a week ago and have pay pal

Dobber Sports Ace

C- Jack Eichel - BUF (C) 1st Round
    C-
    C-
    C-
    LW-
    LW-
    LW-
    LW-
    RW- Tyler Seguin - DAL (C/RW) 2nd Round
    RW- Wayne Simmonds - PHI (RW) 4th Round
    RW-
    RW-
    D- Oliver Ekman-Larsson (ARI) (D) 3rd Round
    D-
    D-
    D-
    D-
    D-
    G-
    G-
    BN-
    BN-
    BN-
    BN-
    BN-
    BN-
    Your team is shaping up to be successful right away, but I'm interested to see who is available in nets at this point.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Flex View Post
    Your team is shaping up to be successful right away, but I'm interested to see who is available in nets at this point.
    I just picked Frederik Andersen - TOR in the 5th Round

Dobber Sports Star

thanks geek. was thinking about your site before this draft but am strapped on funds at the moment
    Just wanted to interject here with a bit of praise for FHG.

If you play in money leagues, it's well worth the $25 (or whatever the cost is for both kits - I think I paid about $30 Canadian for both Geek kits and the Dobber guide).

I am as frugal as they come, but I buy FHG and the Dobber guide every year because they make me money. I am not a brilliant hockey mind. I don't scout players or watch non-NHL hockey, and I don't consider myself particularly good at evaluating skill or making projections. I use FHG based on Dobbers projections almost religiously, and I have gone from winning occasionally to winning usually. Nobody can win all the time, but I now turn a profit every single year from playing fantasy hockey which is pretty awesome. I see these as investments, not expenses.

Considering the amount of enjoyment you seem to get from fantasy hockey, even if it doesn't help you win more money it will surely serve you much better than $25 worth of Timmies coffees

Dobber Sports Monster

i didnt read the rules clearly enough I guess, apparently PIM is a bad thing, so I probably reached on Simmonds but he does get BLKs and HITS which are good. 30 goals is nothing to scoff at either. and faceoffs only count for centermen position (4 positions)

Run down of my team by rounds

1. Jack Eichel
    2. Tyler Seguin
    3. Oliver Ekman-Larsson
    4. Wayne Simmonds
    5. Frederik Andersen
    6. Aleksander Barkov

Dobber Sports Titan

Haha, that is why you read the rules with a fine toothed comb

Definitely not the end of the world on Simmonds. He's still a great contributor to have.
    I like the Freddie and Barkov picks too.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)